IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing everyone talking about 40# 80# 50#, tuff line, mono.... :whazzup:

Which one is best? Is 25# mono enough? That's what I currently have on my reel, but will it do the trick?

I would hate to lose a nice fish just because my line doesn't have enough meat. :sick: Please help, I'm feeling rather cluless. :shrug: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :grin:

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
When I fish mono,I use 20# ultra green. Never lost a salmon with it.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I use 20, 25 and 30 pound test mono on some of my reels for some things but in other instances why not use braided line that is 65# test with the thickness of 20?

The braided lines have little streach, don't get sun damage, last for ever, and can tangle lines, get caught in the motor etc and not have any ill effects. The sensitivity is outstanding too.

You can use 25# and get away with it, just ask your self if you want to give the fish an extra edge.

As for leader, if they aren't going to be line shy(like in the Columbia) why not go heavy. I use 50# a lot. In the last month we've over 350 salmon and lost probably 100 to 150 more. Only three of broken the line, one in the motor and two others when other line cut them off. It works for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fish from the bank, except for when I can find an open seat, generally I'll drift with yarn and corkie. My concern is that the braided line will end up on the bottom of the river and it'll stay there forever. But I guess mono does the same thing. Will the braided line become brittle like the mono does in time? Or does it make that much difference?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you are drift fishing from shore mono is the way to go, and the lighter the line the better as there is less drag through the water thus a more natural drift.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I have drift and bobber fished with braided line. I find that the mono leader breaks, not the braided line, so I end up leaving no braided line, and less mono line, in the water.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Hey Silly,

I would not use 25lb from a boat... I took another Ifhisher out for Springers and he broke his first two fish off, one on the bite, the other on the hook set using 25lb line, way too light! :shocked: :shocked: The fish absolutely hammer those Kwikfish and Alvins. If you want I have a rod for you to use next week... let me know. If you are mainly banking it your setup sounds great. From a boat 65 or 80lb Tuff with 40 or 50lb leaders is the way to go! Cant argue with the results if you know what I mean!

:cheers:

[ 09-06-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I use 20lb ande line.. never had a problem. have landed a few fish over the 40lb limit as well.. you just can't yard them in..

and if you combat fish from the bank, I would suggest some nice braided line.. reason? when you get that tangle with your neighbor which is going to happen.. your braid will slice through any mono..
d

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
There's no doubt you can land large fish on light line, it's done on big game salt water species all the time, not to mention over size sturgeon.

It's just good to have ensurence.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use 20# Ultragreen for all my salmon duties, have never broke off. I even snagged bottom with a blue fox spinner trolling and couldnt bust it off, it gave way when the hook completely straightened.

·
Registered
491 Posts
sillygirl,try 25 crystal ivory maxima.never broke a large fish off on the hookset or the fight.i have snagged before and it can pull my sled around.i don't see how it will break on a bite and i have been hammered by some mighty fish.you don't really have to set the hook that hard.just a quick, firm pop.sure it doesn't hurt to go with the tuff-line or power pro but i can't justify the extra cost.i would rather use the extra money for beer. :cheers: summary,NEVER had a problem with maxima.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
What # line you use depends A LOT on 1) Your fishing skills and 2) the kind of fish you're after/type of fishing your doing (ie boat, drift, etc)

I have seen people take their time and land 12-15lb steelhead on 6lb line.......but for many people that might be too light. Some people I know never use anything less than 40lb Maxima for salmon......they get a 5lb jack on and in 2 minutes BOOM its up to the boat, and probably has the bends because it was horsed in so fast! Whatever works for you I guess. Personally I find Maxima to be like bailing wire, so I use other brands. I have used both braided and regular mono and find that each have their pros and cons for each situation. If you are fishing out of a boat and need a line with high strength and high reel capacity, then yeah braided is probably the way to go. Other times you might need line that has more stretch to absorb some of fight of the fish, so mono might be better. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I was very impressed when a friend of mine landed two chinook at t-bay last fall on 12lb mainline, and it was stren no less. Of course i set him up with the mandatory 40lb maxima leader. 25 lb mainline? That is plenty strong in my opinion. I use 50,65, or 80 lb tuff on all my salmon reels, but a coulpe of my friends use 25lb maxima and land LOTS of chinook from the bank. I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
It'll be fine anchor fishing in the Columbia. If you are fishing B10, dragging planers and flashers, it can break pretty easily. I've never broken even 15lb test on a fish if it wasn't flawed, except when trolling heavy gear in the bay. I use 20 lb maxima for river salmon fishing, including chinook, and it works fine. I use 40 lb for leaders, but that's to handle hook and teeth abrasion.

·
Ray S.
893 Posts
I don't think there is a right or wrong on this subject, what's right is what works for you. I use 25 maxima and 30 maxima leaders for fall salmon in the columbia. Super sharp hooks, let your anchor go as quick as possible and don't reef too hard on the fish. You also have to pay close attention to people who anchor right behind you. Also use the kicker to boogie out to the channel. One of my fishing buddies got one over 40lb on Friday on my sporty gear. It took about 20 min but it is sport fishing... Needless to say he was a very happy feller when we got him in the net.
I hope you guys are getting them too
Ray

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. I don't think I'll switch my bank gear, I've yarded in a couple of 20#ish springers and a few 15#ish steelheads on my 12# mainline w/ 8# leader but as far as boats, I'm a total greenhorn. I went ahead and put some 65# tuff on. I plan on hooking into the grandaddy of them all this week :wink: :grin: heehee!!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I use 30 main line and 40 leader. But I have a fairly limber rob tip which takes a lot of the force out of the hook set. I haven't lost a fish to a broken line yet. I use braided line for gators.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I use 25 lb Yo-zuri Hybrid for mainline, but use 40 lb Andy leader. The reason for this is stretch. You are much more likely to break off at the leader then on your mainline. This goes especially for fixed mooching rigs where you only have about 4 inches between the hooks allowing no stretch. I used to use braided mainline, which I liked because of it's low diameter, and great sensitivity, but I found that because braid has virtually no strech, I was breaking more leaders on the hook set. I guess it is all what you are used too. The other thing I don't like about braid is the occasional line rot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
would like to add a comment on the light line theory, that is, too light of a line often helps in stressing out the larger fish, due to the fact that it requires more playing and less horseing...there is some good advice on line size and type on this thread......use what will work for you in your current fishing situation....one other factor to consider is what type of rod will be used, rod choice sometimes determines what type and size of line to use....

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
For salmon out of a boat I use 50# tuff Line and the reason is I don't like to lose divers,and flasher I use what ever leader is on salmon killers and if I repair S/K's I use 30# or 40# leaders. Drift fishing I never use any heavyer than 12# mono main line.
DAB

1 - 20 of 26 Posts