IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all I can say is this was quite a day of fishing. I made a post last night about it being a great first season of Springer fishing for me but like a crazy baker I guess I forgot that icing needs to go on that cake and boy was the icing flowing today!

I met ZaQ, Bobby and his son Frazier at Scappoose Bay today at 6:30 AM hoping to get into some Springers. We figured we would troll the incoming and anchor up when the tide turned. Bobby had some success yesterday in a secret little honey hole so we decided to run down and drop our anchor and ball to secure our spot for later. When we threw the anchor in we noticed the current was running just enough to work our Kwikies so I decided to use the TR-1 in reverse mode on anchor to hold us and we ran the plugs out.

A whole 15 minutes went by and SHALAMABAM my rod goes off big time and I get this nice little 23lb chromer in the boat!

By the way ZaQ did an expert job with the net on this beauty! We get back on anchor and while I was still wraping my Kwik back up Bobby's rod takes a dive. He hands it off to Frazier and he battles his first fish in.

Back on anchor... right on what a great way to start out a day... SHALAMABAMO another fish on Bobby's rod that Frazier brings in. Must be tough to be 5yrs old and card out the first 45 mintes fishing! Here is a pic of the kiddo and his proud as a peacock dad!

The next 30 minutes went something like this. My rod pound down. Bobby pound down. Bobby pound down. Bobby pound down... man I better check that plug... oh it is gorked out better rebait... SHALAMABAMALAMO!!! ZaQ fish on! Back on anchor. ZaQ pound down. Bobby pound down. Bobby pound down. Me pound down. SHABAMABAMALAMBO!!!! ZaQ with another fish and here is he Ringo in all his glory with two fish!

In the first two hours we had 5 fish in the box, three fish that we missed and about 8 drivebys. All the while we are calling XTC and telling him about it. He decides he does not need to work any more and meets us at the dock and we head back out. Unfortunately it was not in the cards for Chris today and the action slowed down considerably to a pound down about every 45 min then Bobby's rod takes another dive and he gets the icing on his cake! This beauty gave him a great fight, upstream, downstream, sidestream and finally a nice pic and perfect release

All in all we finished the day with 6 fish netted one of which was released. 5 fish flat out missed that were on and another 11 drivebys for a total of 22 pound downs... not a bad day on the river :grin:

All the fish were caught on K-15's and K-16's wrapped with sardine using anise/sardine scent. We fished in 6'-10' of water... thats right... shallow is the word for the day. In fact about 75% of the fish I caught this year were in less than 10' of water!

Good luck if you go and keep an eye out for me because my cake needs a lot more frosting these next few days while the Big River is still open!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
5-Cents, Now thats what I call a day. Its neet to see a youngster be able to reel in a couple fish like those. :grin:
Congrats on you all having a terrific day.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Good work guys, hella of a day on the river :cheers: :cheers:

Good to see the SPringers are still comin in. :smile:

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Wow! That's about all I got. And I'm not gonna lie, if we were to get one in the boat on saturday I'd be a happy, happy kid. Yesterday someone has a five fish day, and now this one, did someone say the run was winding down? Tight Lines, TOC.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
WOW, WOW, and WOW. :dance: :dance: You guys rock. The stories and pictures I've seen this year by you guys have made me extremely jealous. :bowdown: :bowdown: Impressive by anyones standards. Maybe next year I'll have to beg, borrow or steal my way for a lesson from you guys. I've done OK in the past but this year sucked for me. Congrats guys, keep em coming. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Am I gonna have to come down there?????

You guys aren't letting enough go by and the ones that do all have sore mouths!

Way to go, dudes!!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Man, fishingXTC must have been bumming at the office receiving those calls. Good job Bobby et. al.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Baby arm to the rescue. It aint over yet!!!

PS I got your Ringo Star right here!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,225 Posts
WoW! It was a good day in the MC, but a GREAT day where you were. Very Nice! :cheers:

In that skinny 6'-10' water, did you shorten up your leadlines - mind sharing what length they were? Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ZaQ... where were you tonight dude? :laugh:

Gary we were using pretty standard lengths... about 18".

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Shane are you returning to the computer for a recovery :laugh: . See yea in the morning maybe my luck will be better than today...........chris

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris... Yes
:mad: :blush: :grin:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
:bowdown: and :dance: on as it was your day in the sun. I cannot even imagine a day like that. Are you guys the same Carrot Milk Team that won the baton in the Flotilla last month? :blush: Perhaps my memory just isn't so good. Guess Team Carrot Milk can pass the baton on if you still have it.

Great pictures. Keep us posted as the week turns as I need to take a brother from out of state somewhere to catch his first fish bigger than a 2 lb bass. His idea of great fishing is a handfull of bass and crappie. Texans just don't get the picture. This will be his first trip to Oregon in over 30 years and I would do about anything to get him in on a couple takedown.

May the fish Gods smile upon your KFish repeatedly. Sharpen those hooks. I think you should have my cell phone number too. :grin:

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Man you guy's are killing me. Way to go. I haven't had a day off to fish in a month. Glad to see the Columbia is still kicking out fish.

May have to fight the crowds this saturday.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Team Baby arm, Nice....very nice!!
I'm so glad we all got fish.
So the total for 2 days is: 11 fish & 24 pound downs......yes

Trust me guys and gals, you don't need to play bumper boats in OC to get fish. Target the shallows in the big CR or hit the Channel. There is a lot of fish moving up right now.

I hope our recent PICS stir up some motivation, go get em guys.

it's all about the smiles :grin:

What my 5 year old does after bringing in two chinook

OK, Look for 10-13 feet of water and use 18"-20" droppers, try experimenting with longer leaders like maybe 6 feet, Den slap a kwikie on.

See ya on the water, GET'EM !.....GET'EM !
Bobby

[ 05-09-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: big n bright ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
There he is, There he is, There he is. Wait Bobby don't set the hook on the kids sitting on the couch :grin: :grin: .......chris

[ 05-08-2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
yee hah! nice post Shane. love the smiles. :cheers:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Got to love those days like that. Good show boys and congrats on the youngster carding out. :bowdown: :grin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts