IFish Fishing Forum banner

261 - 280 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know this won't be popular, but I personally think every unit in the State for both rifle & bow for Elk & Deer should be subject to the draw. I would also like to see them revamp the point system at the same time.

Something like:

100% points for 1st choice
75% points for 2nd choice
50% points for 3rd choice
25% point for 4th choice
0% points for 5th choice

And for the love of god quit shooting the does and cows.
Get rid of points. Make all controlled hunts a random lottery.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
And for the love of god quit shooting the does and cows.
While they get culled at Cold Springs and Gearhart?

And are not desired to be in the Willamette Valley?

Got your transplant funding proposal ready?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
While they get culled at Cold Springs and Gearhart?

And are not desired to be in the Willamette Valley?

Got your transplant funding proposal ready?
No need. Leave them be.

The examples you gave are because of outside sources. Not what's best for herd numbers and quality.

Cold Creek is a great example. You're telling me the Metolius herd is in such great shape it can handle culling.

Willamette is another. That's because of pressure from Agricultural interests.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
No need. Leave them be.

The examples you gave are because of outside sources. Not what's best for herd numbers and quality.

Cold Creek is a great example. You're telling me the Metolius herd is in such great shape it can handle culling.

Willamette is another. That's because of pressure from Agricultural interests.
I do.

They exist.

I would prefer they all be transplanted; but that requires a funding model.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
The elk would spend less time on ranches (Where many cow hunts take place) if archery hunters didn't push them there.

It don't take a lotta pressure to make elk leave a haunt.

The ranch we hunt on has a small handful of elk on it in early August (Less than 20 critters on Aug 1 usually). Reliable as the sun coming up, after opening weekend of archery season, a pretty good number of elk appear. Then, after Labor Day, another big push. Numbers go the teens to several hundred in a couple weeks.

Ranches nearby have similar results.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The elk would spend less time on ranches (Where many cow hunts take place) if archery hunters didn't push them there.

It don't take a lotta pressure to make elk leave a haunt.

The ranch we hunt on has a small handful of elk on it in early August (Less than 20 critters on Aug 1 usually). Reliable as the sun coming up, after opening weekend of archery season, a pretty good number of elk appear. Then, after Labor Day, another big push. Numbers go the teens to several hundred in a couple weeks.

Ranches nearby have similar results.
That's also about the same time agricultural activity starts to wind down.

Also if landowners don't want them there, allow hunting. I say this as a land owner.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even though I've been pretty good at drawing points tags, I'd still like to see the points go away. I'd say, starting today you stop accumulating points. For those that have points, you have 3-5 years to use your points, then anything remaining is gone.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Perfect reasoning. If some of us hadn't saved for 19 years to draw a tag

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I've never been a point saver and rarely do I go past 3-4 points for deer or elk (antelope in Oregon is a different story). But I sure feel sorry for some of my friends who bowhunt the east side of the state and are saving up for one of the big 3. Personally, I don't think this should be about choosing your weapon. If you like rifle hunting put in for rifle, like bow, then put in for bow hunts. I like both so I apply to what fits my schedule best as fall dates are a premium (deer, elk, WY antelope, salmon fishing, summer steelhead fishing, etc..).

ODFW is in a no win situation as no matter what they do they'll pi** people off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've never been a point saver and rarely do I go past 3-4 points for deer or elk (antelope in Oregon is a different story). But I sure feel sorry for some of my friends who bowhunt the east side of the state and are saving up for one of the big 3. Personally, I don't think this should be about choosing your weapon. If you like rifle hunting put in for rifle, like bow, then put in for bow hunts. I like both so I apply to what fits my schedule best as fall dates are a premium (deer, elk, WY antelope, salmon fishing, summer steelhead fishing, etc..).

ODFW is in a no win situation as no matter what they do they'll pi** people off.
I agree 100% they are going to upset people. But......if you look at some of the options being presented they give more opportunity and still address the population needs of the units. ODFW has said bow hunters take as many elk as rifle hunters.... crazy talk right there.... they have made some baseless accusations that can't be backed up.... that to me is the bigger issue. I'm ok with a draw but slamming everyone into 1 big block of units..... has to be a better choice. Would love to see them model idaho.. 3 units per tag... but that'll never happen...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have yet to see any published statement from ODFW that bowhunters take as many Elk as rifle hunters other than in a few select units.
I apologize for not knowing the exact article but Wayne references it here when he's talking about it. I don't agree with 100% of his thoughts but he's pretty spot on.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I agree 100% they are going to upset people. But......if you look at some of the options being presented they give more opportunity and still address the population needs of the units. ODFW has said bow hunters take as many elk as rifle hunters.... crazy talk right there.... they have made some baseless accusations that can't be backed up.... that to me is the bigger issue. I'm ok with a draw but slamming everyone into 1 big block of units..... has to be a better choice. Would love to see them model idaho.. 3 units per tag... but that'll never happen...

Straight from an ODFW biologist. Bow hunters don't kill enough animals for us to worry about. It's not part of our models.

This biologists is a personal friend of over 20 years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Straight from an ODFW biologist. Bow hunters don't kill enough animals for us to worry about. It's not part of our models.

This biologists is a personal friend of over 20 years.
I believe Wayne references someone other then a biologist, plus most biologists aren't making agendas and policies...BTW. I agree with your biologist. I'm just references statements made.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
In the first few minutes of that video, he complains about youth rifle hunts.

He also claims cattle and elk don't get along (Cattle grazing on public pushing elk to private). The ranch I have hunted has both cattle and elk. On same slope. Every day. Living in perfect harmony.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I believe Wayne references someone other then a biologist, plus most biologists aren't making agendas and policies...BTW. I agree with your biologist. I'm just references statements made.

Wayne references an OHA article which quoted or misquoted Jeremy Thompson. The references about bowhunters taking more Elk than rifle in everything I've seen references branch bulls in specific units, where bowhunters are taking greater than 35% of the branch bulls on GEN tags vs rifle hunters on controlled tags, and these are units under consideration for change. I suspect that was what jeremy was talking about and all wayne had to do was call and ask him. Jeremy is a bio for ODFW.

261 - 280 of 331 Posts