·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
211 Posts
Going to be an interesting change.

I’m glad I was able to draw a big 3 tag in 2016, and my buddy I elk hunt with drew his in 2019. If the Controlled elk archery units under this new plan are additional 200 series hunts this should shake things up a lot. Guys with lots of points will most likely be done hunting NE Oregon.

The last proposal that was set to go into effect for 2021 set tag numbers in most of the controlled units at the amount of people that hunted it the previous year. If I remember correctly hepner, ukiah, and starkey were the only ones with a slight reduction in tags in that that proposal.

The last proposal had a 5 percent cap for non resident tags as well I believe. As the states around Oregon get harder to get a tag, it seems to send more hunters our way. Last year the area I hunt the most had a significant increase in hunters over the previous 8 years. I was pretty amazed how many out of state plates I saw at the trailhead throughout the season. Lots of Washington hunters, a group of guys from California, and even met a guy from Idaho!

All super nice guys hunting there butts off trying to find bugling bulls in some beautiful country.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replied to their request for comments. In particular, I mentioned that Tom Thornton very recently assured me that the Minam unit was meeting objectives for bull ratios. This press release says the opposite. All I can do is laugh at this point.

·
Registered
16,371 Posts
I replied to their request for comments. In particular, I mentioned that Tom Thornton very recently assured me that the Minam unit was meeting objectives for bull ratios. This press release says the opposite. All I can do is laugh at this point.
Either Tom misunderstood something or he didn't look at the stats...........the Minam unit has not met bull M.O. for the last 5 years, the last year it was half of M.O. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resourc...stimates and Herd Composition 2015 - 2019.pdf

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The only way they meet management objectives anywhere in eastern Oregon is when they lower the amount of elk or deer they want in the unit to make it look like they’re meeting their management objective.
Sometimes they add a whole bunch of cow hunts to help that ratio out.....sad but true.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pass it, now.
Expect the subject to be on the June 18, 2021 ODFW Commission agenda to accommodate testimony from those who would be hunting on September 17, 2021, the usual date for adoption of the 2022 Oregon Big Game Regulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
If those bull to cow ratios are accurate, that seems scary. Wouldn’t that mean there are 250 bulls in the entire unit mentioned above?

283 bow hunters killed 43 bulls
37 muzzleloader hunters killed 4 bulls
580 rifle hunters killed 106 bulls

153 total bulls killed by hunters out of 250 in the entire unit seems like a recipe for disaster. Hopefully I’m reading the info from ODFW wrong. If I’m correct I can definitely see why the bull to cow ratios are crashing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If those bull to cow ratios are accurate, that seems scary. Wouldn’t that mean there are 250 bulls in the entire unit mentioned above?

153 total bulls killed by hunters out of 250 in the entire unit seems like a recipe for disaster. Hopefully I’m reading the info from ODFW wrong. If I’m correct I can definitely see why the bull to cow ratios are crashing.

That is scary and sad, as are the numbers for virtually every unit in EO. It's a wonder how this state even claims to have game management.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
That is scary and sad, as are the numbers for virtually every unit in EO. It's a wonder how this state even claims to have game management.
Can't be that bad, everybody on facechat is whining about losing their opportunity. I'm convinced hunters in this state won't be happy till they shoot the last animal in the woods.

·
Registered
16,371 Posts

Hey, you have 262 bull calves to replace them, what's the problem? ;) Of course you have to get those bull calves to hunting season to become spikes. Hunter losses are not the only mortality factor for bull elk either, poaching, health and predation will add a toll. Pretty hard to have older aged bulls in a population though that is getting basically turned over in less than 2 years.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I’m all for the archery season going to a draw. I have a bias since I have used my points built in Oregon, and based off the previous proposal believe a would draw every year as a first choice. If the data posted above is close to accurate , there is a huge problem that will be here very soon. You can see in several of the units the population levels have stayed close to the same, but bull/cow ratios have cut in half over a 5 year period.

My one concern is ODFW has a track record of turning a general season tags into a controlled hunt, then setting the controlled hunt tag numbers at basically the amount of people that typically purchased the general tag.

Based of the info provided by ODFW, it looks like there needs to be significant tag reductions across all weapons/seasons in several of the NE Units.

I am really curious about the hunter numbers, success rates, elk herd counts for 2020, and the number of tags that will be issued for these controlled archery hunts.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I don't think the numbers are quite this bad, since the wild estimates, I mean surveys are done in the late winter, after the prior fall hunting seasons. This number should be the low point of the year. Apples and oranges, still not great news.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Going to be an interesting change.

I’m glad I was able to draw a big 3 tag in 2016, and my buddy I elk hunt with drew his in 2019. If the Controlled elk archery units under this new plan are additional 200 series hunts this should shake things up a lot. Guys with lots of points will most likely be done hunting NE Oregon.

The last proposal that was set to go into effect for 2021 set tag numbers in most of the controlled units at the amount of people that hunted it the previous year. If I remember correctly hepner, ukiah, and starkey were the only ones with a slight reduction in tags in that that proposal.

The last proposal had a 5 percent cap for non resident tags as well I believe. As the states around Oregon get harder to get a tag, it seems to send more hunters our way. Last year the area I hunt the most had a significant increase in hunters over the previous 8 years. I was pretty amazed how many out of state plates I saw at the trailhead throughout the season. Lots of Washington hunters, a group of guys from California, and even met a guy from Idaho!

All super nice guys hunting there butts off trying to find bugling bulls in some beautiful country.
I'm not tracking which isn't a surprise given my subpar caffeine intake for the morning, but why do you say guys with lots of points will most likely be done hunting NE Oregon?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I should have clarified, done hunting the current over the counter units they hunt. Most probably won’t use 10 points or 12 points to draw a pine creek or starkey archery tag. They will be holding out for the Big 3 tag they have been waiting for.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't think the numbers are quite this bad, since the wild estimates, I mean surveys are done in the late winter, after the prior fall hunting seasons. This number should be the low point of the year. Apples and oranges, still not great news.
That makes a lot more sense. I figured I was missing something. What I see in the unit I hunt a lot is not doom and gloom. Elk numbers seem stable over 8 years , archery hunter numbers have drastically increased over the same time frame.

What I have seen in the unit seems to be mirrored in the ODFW statistics as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
From a tiny poll of 2,000 random hunters ODFW will now 'equitably' redistribute harvest back towards rifle hunters since 75% of respondents preferred to hunt with a rifle. Well if those 75% picked a weapon and then didn't jump to the general archery season when then didn't draw a rifle controlled tag the overcrowding and MO issues probably would not exist.

ODFW mismanagement, yet again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Either Tom misunderstood something or he didn't look at the stats...........the Minam unit has not met bull M.O. for the last 5 years, the last year it was half of M.O. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/controlled_hunts/docs/hunt_statistics/19/Rocky Mountain Elk Population Estimates and Herd Composition 2015 - 2019.pdf
I have to disagree. I think Tom completely understood based on my conversation and emails with him. He gave me a BS answer that I was not seeing the "Real, Modeled ratios" for the Minam unit, and that bull ratios were actually in the low 20's. Well if that's the methodology ODFW is using, then ALL units should be well above objective. Heck, if that's the real methodology, then when "published" ratios were 20 five years ago, the "Real" ratio was near 40? I call serious BS. So I'm sorry, you can call it what you want, but I know what I would call the statement from the head of our Big Game dept.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts