IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we should see the first fish cross Bonneville any day now. Anyone given it a try this year? I'll plan a trip when the water level drops a few feet.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Awwww SHEEEEET! It's indeed almost that time! If this cold, wet spring keeps up, I feel it might delay the run a tad. I'm also looking forward to replenishing the crab bait and smoked and canned shad! My son is also super stokked on the run.

Reactions: plumberfishes

·
Registered
317 Posts
Will be awhile before they get up here to mcnary dam but I do love this run,take friends and family who have the short attention span and get them on the action,what's your favorite way to fish for them?I use D.K spoon or a shad dart behind a wiggler for my diver

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I use 2 chartreuse and one pink bobber stop beads, and back bounce 4 or 5oz weights. If it's sunny and clear, chrome and gold dick nites.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What are you favorite shad set ups for the willamette? Maybe a picture? Trying to get some of these things this year. I’ve used a splitter with a 3-4’ leader to a duck night with a 3-4’ dropper to 4ozs. Back bounce on anchor

·
Registered
369 Posts
Small green jig head (1/32oz) and smallest Mr. Twister chartreuse grub tail you can find, 4-6’ leader. Adjust your lead dropper to find the depth they are running at and amount of weight based on current speed.

If you’re getting a few every so often but nothing fast paced, jig your jig. Just bounce the weight in place. Adds action and you will pick up a lot more shad. I’ve also used Alvin’s in line to add the extra movement to the jig.

If they are not near the bottom, a Magnum Hot-N-Tot (Brads Diver) instead of lead.
With the two rod on the Willy, I’d run one of each to see what’s producing.

Shad run in pretty straight lines up the river. No point in anchoring next to a guy that’s slaying them. Go above or below a respectful distance and find them on the fish finder and drop anchor.

I would always launch at O’Dark thirty to be the first guy out. I’d throw a diver set up out while back trolling around the river. I’d either find them with the rod or the fish finder. As soon as the rod went down, I’d go upstream a bit and drop anchor. If I found them on the tv, I’d drop back to look for structure then drop anchor accordingly.

Once the counts over the dam hit 300 a day, you can have great days on the Willy.
This is one fishery I miss greatly.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
still way too early for Columbia shad fishing.
Oregon city though?...still early but one can probably catch a few. I wouldn't waste my time on it though right now especially with trout and salmon going on.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I was marking a lot of suspect shad on the graph today on the Willamette. Deployed rods for about 1/2 hour seeing if I could get a bite. Nothing. Went back to salmon fishing (nothing either).

1 - 20 of 168 Posts