IFish Fishing Forum banner
401 - 420 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I’m in a bit of limbo as I’m holding down the fort so my better half can backpack on the coast and I’m not sure when she gets back. And a big pile of work that was supposed to show up last week, shows up tomorrow instead. Annoying, since it would’ve been nice to bang it out over the weekend in my cool shop during the heatwave. All that said, I’m hoping to get out Wednesday and/or Thursday, and I’m reading this thread avidly. :)

Reactions: Brennan_FishOn

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice...Thur only 1 small halibut...Saturday was def an active halibut day...many of us were in the same area by the pile and catching...we got a 33 & 38'' er. Salmon seemed slower overall based on chatter...we caught a few over the 3 days but we focused on halibut. I think it will pick up in the coming weeks

Brenda at the fishing cleaning station in Newport yesterday told us a 60" halibut was brought in earlier in the day. We went out and got our Coho in 240-300 feet of water straight out then went just north of Seal Rock for bottom fish. Our ling bite was off - all rockfish.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,776 Posts
Caught fish out around 220 this morning fishing was slow but we got what we wanted crabbing is good 100 feet to 150’ was pretty outstanding. tuna on Friday was good. halibut at the rock Pile exceptional on Saturday.
Congradulations on that 110 lbder we were just up wind from ya a few hundred yards. That's a dandy!

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,776 Posts
Brenda at the fishing cleaning station in Newport yesterday told us a 60" halibut was brought in earlier in the day. We went out and got our Coho in 240-300 feet of water straight out then went just north of Seal Rock for bottom fish. Our ling bite was off - all rockfish.
That was the famous puffin! 😂

·
Registered
52 Posts
are you guys catching decent size coho out of Newport?
up out of the columbia they have been averaging 5#.
anyone catching kings in the salt?
Fished Depoe this weekend and most of the fish were on the smaller size. Some good ones but it wasn’t util Sunday when we ran north to Lincoln city to bottom fish then out west to 200-220 that we got into some nicer fish. Average 8+ lbs. lots of natives though. Caught at least 10 to get our 6 fish limit.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,776 Posts
Is that what it weighed?! That's awesome!! We were in the area too when he called it out. I hid my 38" er because I felt inadequate! Congrats Puffin
Yes it was 60" . (Which puts it at 110 lbs roughly on the chart) I here. We hid our pair of 38s too! Lol! 😆

we tried for a big one and would have caught one or two but just ran out of time! Lol

It was hard to see all our friends with the heavy fog. I ran radar for a while and could see some boats around us but not sure who's who!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Fished Depoe this weekend and most of the fish were on the smaller size. Some good ones but it wasn’t util Sunday when we ran north to Lincoln city to bottom fish then out west to 200-220 that we got into some nicer fish. Average 8+ lbs. lots of natives though. Caught at least 10 to get our 6 fish limit.
Might want to check that scale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
Fished Newport today. 200-210fow off the lighthouse. Boxed 3 hatchery fish and released a couple natives. Crew was pretty sick so we ran in to pick up some rockfish and call it a day. Stopped on some great salmon sign (birds, bait, huge rip) in 150fow slightly north of the jetties and released a couple natives but no more hatcheries.

The rockfish bite has been great out of Newport. I know everyone is salmon focused but it’s fun to catch rockcod on light tackle too!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes it was 60" . (Which puts it at 110 lbs roughly on the chart) I here. We hid our pair of 38s too! Lol! 😆

we tried for a big one and would have caught one or two but just ran out of time! Lol

It was hard to see all our friends with the heavy fog. I ran radar for a while and could see some boats around us but not sure who's who!
Ha, glad you got em'! We also ran radar...lots of boats around in a condensed area! Thur-Sat was the first time we ran radar since we had it installed last winter...already paid for itself!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Newport. Got a late start, crossed the bar at 7:30. Dropped in for a minute at 190' around a bunch of boats, nothing. Picked up and ran to 240'. Slow but steady pick, fish were deep 50-75' on the downrigger. Ran in with 5 coho in the box at 11:30 when the wind picked up. Radio fish and a guy we met at the dock said the West and North side of the pile in 260' was wide open. Probally head that way tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Newport. Got a late start, crossed the bar at 7:30. Dropped in for a minute at 190' around a bunch of boats, nothing. Picked up and ran to 240'. Slow but steady pick, fish were deep 50-75' on the downrigger. Ran in with 5 coho in the box at 11:30 when the wind picked up. Radio fish and a guy we met at the dock said the West and North side of the pile in 260' was wide open. Probally head that way tomorrow morning.
How was the bar? Thinking of fishing tomorrow

401 - 420 of 507 Posts