IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems time to get this started as I see a couple are venturing out already.

Dreaming of my first trip at this point and living vicariously through the lucky ones.

Good Luck
Stay Safe
And Bloody Decks to all

4 REEL ch#78, over and out.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, didn't expect this.
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Fisherman

My son-in-law just stopped by to drop off a fillet of Salmon he caught today fishing with Matt H. out of Depoe.
His report is they went out to the 130' line and trolled north to pop their only salmon. Finished with some bottom fishing apparently.
Cold, Cold, Cold!

Good job Troy!

BTW. Happy Birthday Matty!

·
Registered
213 Posts
View attachment 978476
My son-in-law just stopped by to drop off a fillet of Salmon he caught today fishing with Matt H. out of Depoe.
His report is they went out to the 130' line and trolled north to pop their only salmon. Finished with some bottom fishing apparently.
Cold, Cold, Cold!

Good job Troy!

Nice fish Troy. Considering you got the only salmon, I guess it’s a great fish!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
View attachment 978476
Cold, Cold, Cold!

Good job Troy!

Any idea how deep they were fishing? Downriggers?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea how deep they were fishing? Downriggers?
If I remember right, they didn't have riggers. They went to the 130' line, trolled north. Fish came on 14oz's with a Deja Vu FF and a CPH at 90'.
Your guess is as good as mine a couple weeks later though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Any recent Chinook reports out of Newport? Looking like this weekend will be prime ocean conditions!

I've got a bunch of new Coyotes, Coho Killers, Hoochies and Hot Spots to try out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Whats the word....should I run the Coyotes and Coho Killers behind a triangle or skateboard flasher? Leader length??

I think I got the hoochie rigging (sort of) down (thanks iFish). Purple Haze hoochie-->40" leader--> 11" strawberry Hot Spot on the downrigger at ~100ft deep

Reactions: 4 REEL

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Whats the word....should I run the Coyotes and Coho Killers behind a triangle or skateboard flasher? Leader length??

I think I got the hoochie rigging (sort of) down (thanks iFish). Purple Haze hoochie-->40" leader--> 11" strawberry Hot Spot on the downrigger at ~100ft deep
It's always, always about conditions. Water temperature, water color, feed, current, etc. Find the right conditions, identify the feed if possible, use gear that-s right for the water color & temp.

All that said, purple haze behind a red / orange hot spot is mandatory to have in the boat.

Have you looked at the sea temp & chlorophyll charts lately? And the buoy temperatures?

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's always, always about conditions. Water temperature, water color, feed, current, etc. Find the right conditions, identify the feed if possible, use gear that-s right for the water color & temp.

All that said, purple haze behind a red / orange hot spot is mandatory to have in the boat.

Have you looked at the sea temp & chlorophyll charts lately? And the buoy temperatures?
Thanks Mark Mc! I have not looked at the sea temp and chlorophyll charts lately but it sounds like I should be.
This will be my first summer of really targeting kings in the ocean instead of targeting coho and catching the occasional king, so I have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
Stabicraft 2250 UCC OS "Gypsy Davie"
421 Posts
If I've got gear below about 60' I like to have some kind of glow in the setup; either on the lure, flasher, or both. Could be glow tape on the flasher, a glow skirt, beads or even a corkie. Maybe it's more for my own confidence, but I'm not sure I've ever seen glow hurt.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm planning to head over this weekend. Gypsy Davie on ch78
Will call out if we find a good bite.
Good luck and tight lines dogs!
The 7-days per week opening is a bit comical to me. It benefits a slim few individuals. And the rest of us are still fishing Saturday and Sunday. We will see how busy the ramp is Saturday morning and then notice how much the 7 day opening helped.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,454 Posts
I think we are in for this next weekend. Much depends on favorable ocean conditions.

1 - 20 of 510 Posts