Hello ifish community. I’m posting this to ask for any insight you all are willing to share with me.
My name is Bryan Kimball and I drew the Mt. Emily Rifle Elk tag with 20 points for the 2022 season. I’m excited for the opportunity to hunt this unit for the first time. I’m 50 years old, an Oregon resident, am in good shape and have never harvested an elk. I have helped pack them out, have called them in to friends/family and had one stolen from me a number of years ago. I have spent a fair bit of time archery and rifle hunting throughout my life so I’m not a rookie and understand that a harvest is not guaranteed even in the Mt. Emily unit. To be honest, I haven’t spent much time elk hunting over the past 15 years due to work and other priorities.
On 1/1/2022 as I was setting goals for the year, I made a commitment to myself to get serious about elk hunting again…maybe that’s what it took to draw this tag? Rather I think it was the 20 points. 😉 I’ll be happy with a great bull and hope for a 6x6. By no means will I pass up a great bull for the dream of a 350+ once in a lifetime.
Some of my preparation and planning for this hunt include:
- Purchased a new Christensen Arms 300 win mag and am currently building and testing loads prior to sending in my dial.
- Have good optics including a Vortex spotting scope and Lieca range finder binos.
- Have a call into the wildlife biologist.
- Plan to scout by plane, take a couple of boots on the ground scouting trips and will arrive 4 days prior to opening day.
- Have a crew to help me on the hunt include both my sons (22 and 23), my brother in law and possibly a couple more.
- Have access to an outfitter for packing if needed.
- Continue to read through ifish posts to help educate myself.
I want to be as prepared as I can be in the pursuit of punching this great tag. So…I’m asking any of you for your insight with what you think will help my success. I’m not asking for specific locations of where to hunt but certainly won’t turn anyone down if information is volunteered. You are welcome to PM me, call or text me at 907-201-7139.
I’ll follow up to this post after my hunt to let you know if there was a 50 year old man crying with joy in a deep Mt. Emily canyon. Thank you all in advance. Good luck to you all as well this season. Cheers