IFish Fishing Forum banner

2022 Lookout Mountain Premium Elk Diary

43K views 193 replies 58 participants last post by  elkrut82 
#1 ·
I was lucky enough to have drawn this tag this fall. I grew up in eastern Canada and have shot a lot of whitetails over years but when I moved to the PNW the dense west side hunting discouraged me and I stuck to duck hunting the first 15 years after moving here (I did a little archery hunting when I first got here). 5 years ago I got the itch to get back into big game hunting and I’ve gotten several nice deer and 2 cow elk. I’ve never shot a bull.

I’ve hunted north of LM in Keating, Ches, Imnaha, and Sled Springs but this will be my first hunt in this unit.

Next weekend I’m going to make my first trip into the unit and start the scouting process. I’m intending to make a lot of trips in August (I also need to do some scouting in Keating for my boys deer tag) with my main push for the hunt in September. I’d like to hold off to the peak of the rut to have an opportunity to hunt with a rifle while they’re all fired up.

I’m not sure how many are interested but I intend to post how my scouting and hunting is going on this thread. I always enjoy reading and watching peoples hunts so hopefully you all might get some enjoyment out my adventures.

I’m hopeful to get an opportunity to shoot a nice bull. Regardless it’s going to be a great chance for me to spend a lot of time in the field.

See less See more
#2 ·
These kind of threads are terrific IMHO. I've never drawn one of the premium hunts yet but hope I do someday. In the meantime its fun to tag along via a ongoing thread, like some of the sheep threads its all good.

Good luck to you on your hunt.

#6 ·
I don't have experience in that particular unit, but don't over look August and early September. Can often times see some darn big velvet bucks that don't have their guard up yet. Rut hunt would be awesome, but be hard to pass up a giant early on in the fall if the opportunity presented itself. Good luck!!
So true. A good buddy, who will be making some trips with m,e said he’s holding my bullets and will only give them to me when he agrees it’s a shooter ;)

#14 ·
Well I haven’t decided yet. It’s between my Winchester tungsten extreme m70 in 270 wsm or my Sako A7 in 30-06. Both are wearing Vx5 in 3x15 with firedot (love that scope). I’m leaning on the ‘06 as it is setup for the 165 accubonds. My 270 wsm is setup for 150 fusions (had a heck of a time finding ammo last year when I bought it and the only premium ammo I could find it didn’t like). It shoots sub moa with the fusions and I got a cow in Mt with it last year. It never took a step. That being said I’m leaning on the accubond.

I have a Kuiu Pro pack. Love it.

#11 ·
Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to following along.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I'd scout this month, find a shooter in the steep nasty stuff and kill him in the velvet in Early August. There is a ton of private land in that unit and a huge portion of the big bulls will be on that private chasing cows after about the 3rd week of August. Your best bet finding a bigger bull on public ground is when they are still in the summer range, also how many people can say they killed a big velvet bull elk.

#19 ·
Thanks. I appreciate that insight. That is definitely something I’m considering. I think if I find something nice in august it’ll be hard to not take that shot. Also hard to not enjoy the extended time in season I’ll get. At 50 I’ll likely not get this lucky again.

#20 ·
Hunter185... There it is!.. On-line info is way behind printed. The hunt unit season's did not include premium hunt(s).

Killer2... Have not applied for a premium tag since they first came on the scene. Didn't recall the terms. Wish you the best outcome. Like your enthusiasm. Helps to be young. Don't underestimate yourself at 50, just a kid. I'm 76 and still a Chukar hunter. Have toned it back a bit but can still put in 15 miles a day if needed. Use the '06 and 165 Partitions. NPH mentioned "private land" which is extensive. on-X (or similar) is your friend.

NPH's first sentence says it all. Scout now. The big guys will be obvious.

#28 ·
I agree, that mud after rain in the lookout area is no joke. cannot wait to see the pics and stories posted for this thread.

#31 ·
Do you have ONX? I will send you some points if you do.

Love that unit, although the loss of the Forsea property really hurts access......

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Good evening. Update on a trip we had to Lookout. This was my first venture into the unit so the main goal was to get the lay of the land and learn some of the roads.

I had hoped to make it up to little lookout mountain but the A&H area was gated and won’t open until 8/1 so we never made it up there.

We next went to Big Lookout mountain. It’s funny how neither OnX nor Google Earth really does an area justice (I’ve learned that a few times). BIg LM was much more heavily timbered than I had anticipated and definitely steeper. That’s some big country that looks super elky. No idea but I would think with the warm weather that high timber area was holding a lot of elk. There’s a lot of feed up there (everything is still lush over there). Last evening we saw a Spike pretty close to the peak.

Today we drove down Morgan Creek rd down to the Snake River road. Then made our way slowly to Richland checking out a few spur roads.

We only saw the one elk but then again we didn’t spend as much time scouting and glassing but just learning the area.

We saw a lot of deer. Mostly fawns and does. We did see a doe chasing a coyote; I’m assuming she must have had a fawn close by. We did see two decent bucks closer to 84 not far up Lookout Mountain.

We saw quite a few sheep about 3 miles up from the Snake River rd.

And we saw a lot of chukar (a lot), a spruce grouse and a few quail.

Beautiful country. I may not head back until my season opens on the beginning of August and then start hitting it hard most weekends and then taking time off in September.

#36 ·
I’ll be making a trip over next weekend. Planning on hunting 4 straight days on this trip. I’m hoping it’s a tad cooler than it is today. I had a few different places I was hoping to hit but thinking out loud that the deep and steep timbered canyons off of Big Lookout might be a good place for my focus.

#37 ·
Its supposed to cool off Monday the 1st.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mallrdkiller2
#39 ·
After watching Santiam338’s video I’m even more excited for my hunt to start. Opening day is Monday. I’m heading east on Friday and planning to hunt through Tuesday evening for this first trip.

My initial plan is to pack in about 2 miles from the truck and setup camp. Most of my gear is already packed. My old game/decoy cart was on its last legs so I figured this was a good opportunity to get a new one; it arrives Wednesday.

I’m pumped. Will have more info next week.

I did want to give a shout out to several ifish members who have given me some great intel for the unit. Thank you

#40 ·
After watching Santiam338’s video I’m even more excited for my hunt to start. Opening day is Monday. I’m heading east on Friday and planning to hunt through Tuesday evening for this first trip.

My initial plan is to pack in about 2 miles from the truck and setup camp. Most of my gear is already packed. My old game/decoy cart was on its last legs so I figured this was a good opportunity to get a new one; it arrives Wednesday.

I’m pumped. Will have more info next week.

I did want to give a shout out to several ifish members who have given me some great intel for the unit. Thank you
Have your goal set, be patient, and then shoot straight when it's time!

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: riverratt33
#42 ·
I used to spend a ton of time up on that mountain for work and it's truly an amazing place. There's some really cool nooks and crannies up on that mountain.
I always dreamed of splitting a helicopter flight with friends to hunt Little Lookout.
I'm reading your adventures with great interest. Win, lose, or draw this is an opportunity of a lifetime!

#44 ·
Poor guy is never going to get to hunt with all the pictures he's going to have to be taking to satisfy the rest of us! Seriously though - take more pics than you think you will ever need - and have others do the same in your group; it will pay dividends in the years to come even if the rest of us don't get to see them.....best wishes for you! Make of it what you want and enjoy. And be safe!

#46 ·
Poor guy is never going to get to hunt with all the pictures he's going to have to be taking to satisfy the rest of us! Seriously though - take more pics than you think you will ever need - and have others do the same in your group; it will pay dividends in the years to come even if the rest of us don't get to see them.....best wishes for you! Make of it what you want and enjoy. And be safe!
[/QUOT
Definitely. I’m down to a countdown now to head out. I have lots of ideas on how I’d like the hunt to go but it’s hunting and I’ll wait and see how things go. This weekend should be a good indication if my expectations are in the right direction. Most of all I’m excited about the opportunity and want to make the best of it and spend some quality time in some beautiful country. One way or another the hunt will be a success.