IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I used to spend a ton of time up on that mountain for work and it's truly an amazing place. There's some really cool nooks and crannies up on that mountain.
I always dreamed of splitting a helicopter flight with friends to hunt Little Lookout.
I'm reading your adventures with great interest. Win, lose, or draw this is an opportunity of a lifetime!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Poor guy is never going to get to hunt with all the pictures he's going to have to be taking to satisfy the rest of us! Seriously though - take more pics than you think you will ever need - and have others do the same in your group; it will pay dividends in the years to come even if the rest of us don't get to see them.....best wishes for you! Make of it what you want and enjoy. And be safe!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about it, it can be just as hot in Sept and we kill thousands of elk every year with our bows. Just get the skin off and the meat in the air in breathable game bags, it will last much longer than it takes to pack it out. You can walk across that entire unit in a day.
You must be one tough SOB, or never been to Lookout Mt….good luck walking across the unit in a day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Poor guy is never going to get to hunt with all the pictures he's going to have to be taking to satisfy the rest of us! Seriously though - take more pics than you think you will ever need - and have others do the same in your group; it will pay dividends in the years to come even if the rest of us don't get to see them.....best wishes for you! Make of it what you want and enjoy. And be safe!
[/QUOT
Definitely. I’m down to a countdown now to head out. I have lots of ideas on how I’d like the hunt to go but it’s hunting and I’ll wait and see how things go. This weekend should be a good indication if my expectations are in the right direction. Most of all I’m excited about the opportunity and want to make the best of it and spend some quality time in some beautiful country. One way or another the hunt will be a success.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Not that unit, but cows were chirping like crazy and out and about in the middle of the heat last weekend. You should have a great time before they start feeling the pressure from people storming the woods. We're living vicariously, please keep us posted

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Good morning. Quick Monday update. We came home last night. Without getting into all the nitty gritty the area I had been hoping to hunt simply was too far to effectively hunt (and get something back out) - at least in the heat over the weekend. We did get back about 4 miles into the area on Saturday and there was simply zero fresh elk sign but a lot of cattle. We could have gone further into this spot but it required hiking around private, and up and over some big terrain. I expect there were some elk in the area but likely much higher up into the private area where we couldn't hunt. We came back out of there Saturday and moved to Big Lookout. We spent Saturday afternoon/evening and all morning and into the afternoon yesterday covering as much ground as possible. We found some fresh elk sign but I wasn't feeling optimistic about our chances under the current conditions. I had planned to stay today and tomorrow but yesterday afternoon I made the call to leave with the intention of burning my PTO when the likelihood for success was better.

Compared to my trip over there at the beginning of July there simply wasn't much animal activity at all - not surprising. It was hot. We saw no elk and only a handful of deer. At this point I'm reevaluating my plan but I'm leaning towards not going back in August and focus my time (and PTO) during the peak of the rut. The one thing that is causing me some hesitation is the concern of archery hunters moving a lot of the elk onto private; however, I'm thinking my chances of having a successful hunt, and be able to enjoy hunting the rut with a rifle, I'd be better off waiting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I’m sure someone with more familiarity in the unit will chime in but I think the middle of the month (September) until end of the month would be prime time.

Since I’m off for the Labor Day weekend I’ll likely go then and then can head back for a week or more later in the month. At least that’s what I’m thinking.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts