IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hunter185... There it is!.. On-line info is way behind printed. The hunt unit season's did not include premium hunt(s).

Killer2... Have not applied for a premium tag since they first came on the scene. Didn't recall the terms. Wish you the best outcome. Like your enthusiasm. Helps to be young. Don't underestimate yourself at 50, just a kid. I'm 76 and still a Chukar hunter. Have toned it back a bit but can still put in 15 miles a day if needed. Use the '06 and 165 Partitions. NPH mentioned "private land" which is extensive. on-X (or similar) is your friend.

NPH's first sentence says it all. Scout now. The big guys will be obvious.
Thank you, Sir. I always appreciate reading your posts and your guidance. Agreed on the accubonds. I’m betting august will be a busy month for me. Guess I’ll be skipping buoy 10 this year.

·
Registered
42,319 Posts
I used to Chukar hunt in the Keating Unit, along the Powder, saw some nice elk. Have a photo of a big 6X6 in the back of a pickup I walked up on while Chukar hunting. A few miles back from Hole In The Wall.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Be careful if you get way back in there and it starts to rain. Don't waste any time, get out now.
I agree, that mud after rain in the lookout area is no joke. cannot wait to see the pics and stories posted for this thread.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks. That is something that is stressing me for early part of the season. It’s going to be hot.
I wouldn't be worried about it, it can be just as hot in Sept and we kill thousands of elk every year with our bows. Just get the skin off and the meat in the air in breathable game bags, it will last much longer than it takes to pack it out. You can walk across that entire unit in a day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I wouldn't be worried about it, it can be just as hot in Sept and we kill thousands of elk every year with our bows. Just get the skin off and the meat in the air in breathable game bags, it will last much longer than it takes to pack it out. You can walk across that entire unit in a day.
thank you for the advice. I have Kuiu game bags that will work great for this.

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
Do you have ONX? I will send you some points if you do.

Love that unit, although the loss of the Forsea property really hurts access......

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Do you have ONX? I will send you some points if you do.

Love that unit, although the loss of the Forsea property really hurts access......

I do. And I’ll welcome any waypoints you’re willing to share. I’ll send you a PM with my cell. Much appreciated

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Good evening. Update on a trip we had to Lookout. This was my first venture into the unit so the main goal was to get the lay of the land and learn some of the roads.

I had hoped to make it up to little lookout mountain but the A&H area was gated and won’t open until 8/1 so we never made it up there.

We next went to Big Lookout mountain. It’s funny how neither OnX nor Google Earth really does an area justice (I’ve learned that a few times). BIg LM was much more heavily timbered than I had anticipated and definitely steeper. That’s some big country that looks super elky. No idea but I would think with the warm weather that high timber area was holding a lot of elk. There’s a lot of feed up there (everything is still lush over there). Last evening we saw a Spike pretty close to the peak.

Today we drove down Morgan Creek rd down to the Snake River road. Then made our way slowly to Richland checking out a few spur roads.

We only saw the one elk but then again we didn’t spend as much time scouting and glassing but just learning the area.

We saw a lot of deer. Mostly fawns and does. We did see a doe chasing a coyote; I’m assuming she must have had a fawn close by. We did see two decent bucks closer to 84 not far up Lookout Mountain.

We saw quite a few sheep about 3 miles up from the Snake River rd.

And we saw a lot of chukar (a lot), a spruce grouse and a few quail.

Beautiful country. I may not head back until my season opens on the beginning of August and then start hitting it hard most weekends and then taking time off in September.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I’ll be making a trip over next weekend. Planning on hunting 4 straight days on this trip. I’m hoping it’s a tad cooler than it is today. I had a few different places I was hoping to hit but thinking out loud that the deep and steep timbered canyons off of Big Lookout might be a good place for my focus.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Its supposed to cool off Monday the 1st.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mallrdkiller2

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
After watching Santiam338’s video I’m even more excited for my hunt to start. Opening day is Monday. I’m heading east on Friday and planning to hunt through Tuesday evening for this first trip.

My initial plan is to pack in about 2 miles from the truck and setup camp. Most of my gear is already packed. My old game/decoy cart was on its last legs so I figured this was a good opportunity to get a new one; it arrives Wednesday.

I’m pumped. Will have more info next week.

I did want to give a shout out to several ifish members who have given me some great intel for the unit. Thank you

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
After watching Santiam338’s video I’m even more excited for my hunt to start. Opening day is Monday. I’m heading east on Friday and planning to hunt through Tuesday evening for this first trip.

My initial plan is to pack in about 2 miles from the truck and setup camp. Most of my gear is already packed. My old game/decoy cart was on its last legs so I figured this was a good opportunity to get a new one; it arrives Wednesday.

I’m pumped. Will have more info next week.

I did want to give a shout out to several ifish members who have given me some great intel for the unit. Thank you
Have your goal set, be patient, and then shoot straight when it's time!

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts