·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Reactions: crawdad

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Wish they had two fish.
Any details about bait and where fishing?
Thanks for posting makes me want to wet the boat and shake off the boat barn cabin fever.

Reactions: saltaddict

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Saturday shows some better weather that is if the wind from the weather front of Friday calms down. I would love to see a bunch of posts of successful fishing.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
We used to use exclusively smelt early in the season. Some guys would marinate those smelt for days in their secret concoction. Heck one day we went out to see if we could catch these on a variety of baits; night crawlers, sand shrimp, mud shrimp, smelt, herring, anchovies, and we even had some oysters. If I remember right, they all caught fish, but mud shrimp were beyond hot as was the smelt. Now I don't see anyone using these two baits. I know mud shrimp are not easy to pump up anymore as they have been reduced in numbers by parasites.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Boy its slow sturgeon fishing when the thread for a bathtub changeout gets almost more hits than this thread. I know its only one day and we get a pic of one fish, that is nevertheless slow. Ok the big weekend show is tomorrow I'm hoping this thread blows up with posts of caught, nearly caught, too big, and too small. Come on its a short season and the way it started the first day likely the fish are safe.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
This morning around 10 ish we made a tour along the Washington side to see what was going on for sturgeon fishing. It was fairly windy on the river but noticed a good crowd of bank fishermen from the tunnel upriver in the usual spots. Two of the Coho boats and one Seabreeze boat was working the area just upriver from the bridge. Maybe half a dozen private boats at the most from the ferry landing upriver. Watched two guys pulling small skiffs out at the Knappton launch. On the way back we did see one bank fisherman playing a fish just before you got to the Church. At Ilwaco as we wondered around the Saturday Market I saw Seabreeze's Salty come in. So we hung around hoping to see what they had for sturgeon, but wrong they unloaded bottom fish. Also on the way back I went along Baker's bay to see if anyone was fishing inside the island. Glassing the bay not one boat was spotted. Hopefully someone over in the Youngs bay or above Tongue Point found some fish. Oh yeah I did see one boat net a salmon above the bridge, good for them.

I'm glad I didn't put in and had to fight the wind and burn $5.64 cents a gallon boat fuel.

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
My wife said this morning I think we have one small chunk of Sturgeon in the freezer and that's it. I took that to be a challenge. Weather this morning looks sort of crummy for Wednesday but next Saturday looks good. I'm holding out for next Saturday as I have two guests for that day that have never gone Sturgeon fishing. I'm also hoping that since new guys bring a little newbie luck, we might score a gator, got to think positive.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
You forget at one time not very long-ago net fishermen could cream a boat load of Sturgeon out of season as incidental catch when targeting salmon. My brother-in-law was one of the net boys and like he said when I'm getting more per pound for Sturgeon than Salmon, I'm targeting Sturgeon. He knew the spots and laid out a diving net. He bragged that one pass he had the boat plugged and had to leave fish in the net until he unloaded. I remember in the 50's of seeing floating dead Sturgeon in the West End Basin as fisherman untangled big Sturgeon from their nets. We never fished for Sturgeon as you could get a free fish or two from one of these guys working on their net.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
I see the weather is going to bring us some wind and rain tomorrow so I'm assuming the only ones fishing are going to be the bank fishermen. However Saturday right now looks very good for sturgeon fishing but the catching we will see.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Nice to see some fish caught. Yesterday with my two newbies we headed up from Chinook to above the bridge. Several boats working the area including 3 charters and few guide boats. We moved around a lot and never touched a fish although we were marking fish. I heard from a source yesterday afternoon that a test net fishery on sturgeon was conducted in Bakers Bay a few days ago and the gillnet boat got more fish than they could hold. News to me I haven't heard they were doing that.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Every tagged Sturgeon I've landed and turned in the tag over several years has been tagged in SF Bay.

Reactions: joeer77

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Going across the bridge today seen Sturgeon jumping in the flats near the bridge. Now thats a good sign for sure.

Reactions: Ibexfishing

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
I can't believe this morning's latest weather prediction for this coming Saturday, rain and wind. Earlier the weather front was showing up Friday now its Saturday. I don't know about anyone else but having the boat twisting around on the anchor sure takes some of the fun out of sturgeon fishing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope the weather front is all "hot air" and it moves through on Friday.

I was going to untie the boat and go this morning, but more urgent things came up so I'm looking forward to Saturday, please no wind or just a light breeze, I don't care if it rains.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Which site are you looking at? Or where are you planning on fishing?
You can usually find a spot to tuck in out of the wind anyhow, I’ll be out in my little 18 ft open flat bottom regardless of wind or rain.
J View attachment 981547
i would suggest you not launch from chinook for your trip it could be challenging in that boat, just saying.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
For windy conditions and a quick dash back to port, most folks recommend E. Boat basin launch in Astoria. Closer to fishing and shorter trip home is it starts to get nasty. Below the bridge can be much worse than above.
Nothing ruins a fishing day like fishing way above the bridge on perfectly flat water then head home and hit 4 foot breaking rollers below the bridge. At best its a slow miserable ride to Chinook or Ilwaco that you will question if you have enough boat to face the challenge.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
I have been fishing the estuary a long time now. It seems like every year, at least once, I push that wind and tide scenario and pay the price of a nasty ride home. Just always seem to need that little reminder I guess.
That water above the bridge is sometimes so alluring and spell binding one gets suckered into that extra hour or two of fishing, that is until you face the devil below the bridge. I have one trip home many years ago that I followed a 6 pack charter home to Ilwaco. He knew me and on the radio said to tuck in close behind him, he was in a 36' twin inboard and I was in a 25' Champion which by the way is a heavy 9' wide boat. Behind my was a friend of mine in his 23 foot boat. Below the bridge near the church the 36' was taking waves onto the bow deck a spray going over the flying bridge. I was putting green water over the bow diving into it seemed every third or fourth wave. My friend behind us was pitching so badly I seen his entire boat out of the water. We were the slow and I mean slow three boat parade back to Ilwaco that day. My wife was saying we are not going to make it home. We did and that charter skipper and I went and had a drink that afternoon.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Go

Go catch a fish and stop your crying, both fish were close to the upper limit slot, do you really believe either of these fish were harmed ? I had to pick them up to put back into water, Am I holding them vertical by there gill plates, nope, I handled them as softly as a steelhead, and I’m sure you know it’s very hard to kill or harm for that fact a sturgeon, while your sitting at home or in your comfy boat with a top, I’m out there in the smallest boat, and I’m first to arrive and last to leave…. Sorry if I offended you, but I had a fabulous day , despite the weather with my father and best friend….
You still ignored the regulation just so you could get the photo. I don't see any except to that regulation, but some always feel they have privileges over the rest of us no matter what.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts