IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
Don't forget how the smelt run affects sturgeon. When the sturgeon start to get hungry, they spread out looking to fill their bellies again. If enough fish move down in anticipation of warmer water in the estuary, there can be some good fishing long before the migratory fish move in. I've caught a lot of early resident fish down there but not till June 1st or so.

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
Beefcake: That's pretty much what I think also but we're fishermen, not the managers. The managers don't care if fishermen catch a single fish so the season is set for minimal impact. Their way of conserving the resource. I've come to realize it's the migratory fish that are the most heavily protected to act as a reserve for when the last resident river fish has been killed by a sealion. Think about it. If anyone can offer a more logical explanation, we'd all like to hear it.

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
I was at the West end one day maybe three years ago, just standing around to watch boats come in. This commercial guy was taking sturgeon into the fish store next to Andy's place. He had several, all nice big fish, don't know the total amount. There was no sturgeon season open that I was aware of and it wasn't a salmon day either for the nets. The guy was nervous as I talked to him like a tourist. One of the fish was quite large, looked over 6'. It was obvious he was targeting sturgeon. This was middle of August, B-10 season.

Was talking to an old commercial fisherman one time who told me about dropping his nets off Long Beach. There were no laws against it at the time, it's just that no one did it. DFW shut him down when they heard about it after three days. He was bringing in 70,000 lbs of fish per day..... so he said. That's probably and exaggeration.

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
Like fish that get fatter behind the head. Those are some nice ones. I think the resident fish taste better than the migratory ones. Not significantly but a little bit.

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
For windy conditions and a quick dash back to port, most folks recommend E. Boat basin launch in Astoria. Closer to fishing and shorter trip home is it starts to get nasty. Below the bridge can be much worse than above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts