IFish Fishing Forum banner
401 - 420 of 464 Posts

· Registered
16,920 Posts
A couple observations that I find interesting....

As far as Sauvie east side goes...

The Teal have gone someplace else.
Similarly there seems to be far fewer pintails.
Mallards and to a lesser extent widgeon are predominate.

The number of snow geese is impressive. I think there are far more than some of the recent years' surveys that counted in the range of 20,000 - 25,000 combined between Ridgefield, Vanc Lake and Sturgeon Lake. Sunday, at times there were big flocks, line after line, of snows heading both north and south at the same time. Considering the late season 'conservation hunts' on snows to reduce their numbers, it seems odd that the light geese are off-limits during this time before Period III goose season begins.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
Speaking of Canvasbacks, if you want to see some head South out of Cornelius on 10th. You'll make a hard left, cross the river then enter the driveway where the road makes a hard right turn. The big flooded bottom on the left is a waterfowl mecca, and I counted easily 150 cans on it last week.
I didn't stop to look, but I'd guess there were closer to 300 of them down there yesterday. Along with 1,000 geese and 400 swans...

· Registered
12,970 Posts
Nice pile! I got the slow part today, not the steady. I WILL shoot Mergansers next time......Otto's can make them into sausage as well as any.

· Registered
6 Posts
I wish my oldest brother would post up some of his pics here, he got some good ones yesterday.
Fishndiver's Springer doing her best lab imitation
Water Water resources Dog Liquid Fluid

Sometimes photos have sounds
Sky Bird Animal migration Wing Bird migration

This one was from a camera hunt in the West Eugene wetlands in between the days I hunted with Fishndiver and our other brother
Bird Ecoregion Plant Beak Natural landscape

· Registered
933 Posts
Been pretty good here around prineville. I didn't keep track but I think I'm at a 5 bird (duck) average over 15ish hunts. Had a major blowout on the river with my son and his buddies with a 6 man limit. I found it is possible to wear out a 2yo lab! Also got the the pup on his first geese. Been a good year.

Attachments

· Registered
6,224 Posts
A recipe for an unpleasant morning at the lake:

Send three cousins to the hot end of the lake. "Two in that blind, one in the other". All three go to the first, leaving the escape route at the end of the lake open. Then one of them fails to control his dog. Half of the approaching birds flare off. Despite all three having been admonished about high shooting, half of what they shoot at is way too high. A half dozen green heads escape via the end route. A few of them after the discharge of five or six rounds at 45 to 50 yds.

Meanwhile, I sit with Nephew and his whiny, fidgety, overly hyper lab. But at least he keeps her in the blind as birds approach. Usually, however, they approach the other blind and flare off. Additionally, I have misread the morning weather, and am under dressed for 35* wind, rain, and snow....

The cousins fire 40 -50 shots for ten birds. Nephew and I fire eight for three birds. I do, however, commend them for laying off the hens. They got three pin drakes and seven greenheads, allowing multiple widowed hens back across the river.

The cousins are friends, as well as cousins, (and one has a tuna boat!) so I don't want to say too much. But...yesterday was unacceptable. Whether I have them back for the final Saturday of season remains to be seen. Hopefully, things will pick up at Club Kip, at least the cousin with the dog goes there, and I am allowed a more peaceful final morning at Club CK.

· Registered
14,720 Posts
Went to the club for what I'm guessing is the last time this season.

Seen a few in the ditch on the way in, buy there's blackberries growing in there. Don't want to risk tearing up pup as she would go 100% full sprint thru said blackberry vines. So I didn't shoot.

Zero on wigeon pond.

A couple mallards and baldpate on the main pond. But they flew off as soon as I crested the hill above it.

Seen one duck fly in 40 minutes. Was praying for a dumb diver, or to jump shoot one out of the corn....No joy.

Corn looks worse than I have ever seen. Geese/Swans/Nutria have pulled most of it down. Like 60% is flat in the water. Feathers everywhere.

Went from riches to rags compared to last year. Had to work when the birds were around. Once I could go, the birds had left. And the water levels didn't play nice for where I could spend my time. Just wrong place wrong time all season.

Hope you all get into them this week!

· Registered
2,961 Posts
Saturday started slow, wet/cold etc. Ended with a 3 man of mostly widgeon. A few teal and nice pins mixed in.

Sunday was very quiet on the island. Hunted sheet water with the panel blind. 8 birds with one being lost to predator. Mix of mallards, teal, pin, spoon, and a nice gadwall that I might have mounted.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
I got out for the first time this year and shot this great looking canvasback. I’ve been after this bird for a long time. I think I may have to find a taxi and have it put on the wall. View attachment 999910
53 years of duck hunting I've yet to take a wall worthy Can... BUT- Table worthy, on the other hand... If you decide not to put it on the wall, pluck it clean and SLOW roast it, like 275* for 2-3 hours. It will be done when you can pull a leg easily from the hip.

401 - 420 of 464 Posts