IFish Fishing Forum banner
381 - 400 of 464 Posts

· Registered
867 Posts
I SAW very good numbers this weekend but didn’t shoot a shot. High flyers, shy birds and small groups locked in and dumping without circling into the expensive club. Fun to see good numbers but almost didn’t feel like hunting.
Ahh, January!

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
353 Posts
The place I've been hunting has been holding about 300-400 birds on the water just about every day, only major issue is that its 95% pintails. Waiting to not only shoot a drake but big ones with nice tails adds to the challenge of IDing birds. Nearly identical limits two weekends in a row of 1 pintail, 1 gadwall, 5 teal. (1 pin, 1 gadwall 4 teal 1 bufflehead last weekend with bonus goose.) My dad joined on Saturday for 1 pintail, 3 teal of his own.

Dog Liver Phasianidae Carnivore Turkey

Plant Grass Tree Sky People in nature

Dog Carnivore Sky Cloud Grass

· Registered
422 Posts
Mondays morning hunt was the best of the season!
Almost a 4 man limit by 10:30!
Lots of big ducks!

Wednesdays morning hunt was totally different!!!
No shots fired until after 8am!
High flyers, flaring ducks at 60 yds, ducks going to water close but out of reach of the blind, and small ducks.
First of the bigger groups of teal. About 1000 mixed geese were flying over the wetlands after coming off the farmers grass seed fields.
But a beautiful sunrise and we still got a few ducks.

Im looking forward to the Friday morning hunt.

Thats my report from the Mid Valley west side.

· Registered
14,721 Posts
Pulled the decoys at the club today.

Jump shot a couple spoonie hens in a pasture. That's it.

A little traffic in the 2 hours I was there. Pretty thin.

None of the birds circled or responded to calls.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
a disappointing turn of events... What had been a pretty good run at Club Kip went dead with the high water. After spending the Fall months wondering if Club CK would get any water, it too washed out. I think there remains a good amount of feed at both lakes, but the water in the Tualatin Basin needs to drop five feet. And that isn't going to happen this week...

There have been some bright spots with the high water. Late spring planted barley didn't mature in time to harvest. When the high water got to it we got a true spectacle of ducks to watch. No good way to hunt them, but mesmerizing to watch... I've never seen so many wigeon. Then, as the water dropped to marginally huntable levels, the big numbers left the neighborhood.

Stella brought another disappointment. Apparently, she cut her foot on something and the putrescent sewer of a lake produced by five thousand ducks and geese spawned a nasty, lingering infection. No hunting for her for the past three weeks, nor for the rest of the season.

These plaints are not meant to be complaints. I shot, and ate, enough ducks. I got in four good hunts at Club CK, which is OK, considering some years I get NO hunting there. The long range weather forecast has the river dropping. I hope that by the final weekend of season it will drop enough to draw enough birds back to get in another good day or two.

· Registered
5,295 Posts
Hit or miss up the Columbia lots of birds yesterday. only a few this morning high flyers. fog yesterday morning helped out. nothing even looked at us hardly this morning a few divers

· Registered
491 Posts
I wish my oldest brother would post up some of his pics here, he got some good ones yesterday. You’ll have to settle for my crappy cell phone pictures. We hunted a coastal lake yesterday and today. It’s not over flowing with green heads, but there is more ducks than seems possible and little to no competition.

Attachments

· Registered
2,961 Posts
Took the panel blind out for the first time this season on Saturday to some sheet water that was holding birds at one point...wasn't really the case that morning. I put out 13 decoys and a jerk rig with 3 decoys. 1 pintail and 2 widgeon.

Sunday I tried the panel blind again on a different sheet water pond. Only used a jerk rig with 3 decoys. Quite the mixed bag. Mallards, Teal, Widgeon, pintail, and a spoony.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
Saw 2 young drake Canvasbacks and a nice Eurasion American Wigeon cross here in the mid Valley on a short drive. I don't se a lot of Canvasbacks around here so kind of cool.
Speaking of Canvasbacks, if you want to see some head South out of Cornelius on 10th. You'll make a hard left, cross the river then enter the driveway where the road makes a hard right turn. The big flooded bottom on the left is a waterfowl mecca, and I counted easily 150 cans on it last week.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Speaking of Canvasbacks, if you want to see some head South out of Cornelius on 10th. You'll make a hard left, cross the river then enter the driveway where the road makes a hard right turn. The big flooded bottom on the left is a waterfowl mecca, and I counted easily 150 cans on it last week.
The sheet water is holding lots of birds in the area, from where you're describing to Jackson Bottom. Only a couple weeks left!

381 - 400 of 464 Posts