IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Blacktail and Mule Deer success threads, so how about those Whitetails!

We are headed over to E. WA on Wednesday in preparation for the opener on the 16th. Hoping to get my son a nice buck this year.

Whether it’s archery, muzzleloader, or modern rifle, good luck to all you WT hunters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I found a forky opening morning in the Sled Springs unit, 20 minutes in and tag punched. I was happy because I was hoping for either a whitetail or a large muley. Prefer eating the whitetail....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a forky opening morning in the Sled Springs unit, 20 minutes in and tag punched. I was happy because I was hoping for either a whitetail or a large muley. Prefer eating the whitetail....
Awesome! We are headed over to E. Wa today for Saturday’s opener.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the ukiah unit the blue tongue disease has basically eliminated the whitetail. Property owners are reporting lots of dead whitetail in the past months. I’m hoping they rebound back. It used to be my favorite hunting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the ukiah unit the blue tongue disease has basically eliminated the whitetail. Property owners are reporting lots of dead whitetail in the past months. I’m hoping they rebound back. It used to be my favorite hunting.
I was up in Moscow, ID hunting this past weekend and it has really hammered the deer around there. I ran into another hunter who said he found 17 carcasses that morning on the property he hunts.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is not encouraging. Saw an email from WDFW regarding this. Hopefully it is only is a few areas.

·
Brood stock
6,305 Posts
I got a 4x4 opening morning in Ches unit.
You mean an 8 pointer! Gotta go with the eastern count lol.

I got a “7 point” in sled a few years ago. Tasty critters! Very mild, reminds me of lean, aged beef.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Saw a few pictures of some very nice whitetail taken near Pendleton/Pilot Rock area. Also heard of blue tounge hitting the deer again this year. Based on the bucks that got taken I was hoping they were on the rebound from the die off 2 years ago, hopefully this year doesn't do them in for good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You mean an 8 pointer! Gotta go with the eastern count lol.

I got a “7 point” in sled a few years ago. Tasty critters! Very mild, reminds me of lean, aged beef.

Lol. I didn’t want to say it. I’m originally from eastern Canada, grew up hunting white tails and that is totally a 8 pointer. I told my neighbors I got an eight pointer (they’re blacktail hunters) and they gave me grief. Haha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I killed a whitetail during general rifle season in 2020 near Meacham. I also pulled the 600 Muzzle loader tag last year. Unfortunately during the muzzle loader season we really saw the damage that the blue tongue had done to the herd. This year hunting in same area for general season we only saw a handful of whitetail does and two smaller whitetail bucks. But the Mule deer seemed to be recovering.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I spent last week hunting a piece of private land just outside of Dayton, WA. First time ever hunting this area so it took a few days do figure things out. Saw one really good buck that I couldn’t get a clean shot at and ended up killing a small “five point” on the last afternoon I was there. I hope we get to hunt the place again, because we now know the area. My cousin killed this goofy fella

1 - 20 of 22 Posts