IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I "know of" 1 sportie out of Newport whom has landed 3 chinook thus far. I was told by a reliable source this past Friday. I didn't see the fish but I have to trust what I was told. There was a king being filleted at the table Friday when I was there. Couldn't tell you where the fish were caught, either. I do know that a few of the commercial guys are fishing around Heceta.

Reactions: Doublelung

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Throughout the early months of salmon season every year, I see a few guys cleaning big 'nooks. They never seem to be in the mood to talk much, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, back to the thread (and in possible offense to proper English) - after getting our lings about 5 miles south of Newport Saturday, we went to the SE side of the Rockpile and trolled on the SE side of the Rockpile for about two hours - without a bite. We pulled flasher and plug cut herring at 40 ft to 90 ft. Finally, the wind made downrigger fishing less fun that it might be and we went back inside to see if conditions were better there. They were much the same inside and we called it a day around 3:00. Early in the day (and still by Otter Rock) I did hear someone say they had two in the boat and were fishing at 80 ft on the downrigger. Later I saw a boat come by with a downrigger out and a flasher turning on a racked rod. chinook? Don't know, but it sounded like it. Anyway, we'll keep at it and eventually the results will be better. We did have whales keeping pace with us for about 40 minutes. I had to change course a few times when they came too close. A great day on the pond!!!!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I think it is kind of a sign of the times..... and Newport has reached its saturation point.

Ifish in the beginning was a pretty close knit group, and were pretty public with reports and support. For members I wish it could still be this way, but its apparently it can’t be that way now.... it just got to big..... A public forum is just that, open and free.

My personal rant is ,friends share stuff to help each other, and now that has become BAIT for advertisers, what was once a support group is now business advertising up the kazoo , not my website so what can I say, but Ifish is getting pretty hypothetical.
Right now, there is a ad on the right of my screen....which reads...“STOP Bidens and Kampala’s gun agenda, support NRA”.....Ifishs words not mine, so don’t flag me, flag them.
If a member was to mention a political name, they are warned and flagged for removal.....but different strokes for advertisers.

I better shut up....I am happy to help anyone, and pms are welcome, but I will not be able to get them till I return home. I am heading out for three days of fishing...so good luck to all. I want to go to Nelson Isl. for the annual deep drop Boccaccio trip.... a petrale exploring trip, and a day of salmon fishing.

slip B81...channel 78...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well my buddy and I are going out Saturday from either Depoe or Yaquina on a “kings and lings” safari so if you grumpy old salts feel like actually talking about current salmon fishing out of those ports, I’m all ears. :)

Just going off stuff I’ve read for spring ocean chinook, I think he’s gonna rig a plug herring behind a big banana weight and get it down pretty deep around structure. Keep it simple. I think I’ll be trying for ling at the same time, a bit deeper. If we go out of Newport, we’ll probably head south unless we get intel they are “catching off the lighthouse“ or whatever. If we go from Depoe (my first choice), then I don’t know. Probably out towards the deeper structure off Govt. Point.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Blind squirrels and old guys get to find acorns once in a while. After getting our lings north of Depoe today, we targeted chinook for about three and a half hours and managed two. We found them in 120 to 150 ftw and were about 120 ft on the downrigger for both. Plug cut herring and chartreuse flashers. Hope this helps.
IMG_4504 (1).jpg
IMG_4511 (1).jpg

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Blind squirrels and old guys get to find acorns once in a while. After getting our lings north of Depoe today, we targeted chinook for about three and a half hours and managed two. We found them in 120 to 150 ftw and were about 120 ft on the downrigger for both. Plug cut herring and chartreuse flashers. Hope this helps. View attachment 953624 View attachment 953625
Good job guys.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Blind squirrels and old guys get to find acorns once in a while. After getting our lings north of Depoe today, we targeted chinook for about three and a half hours and managed two. We found them in 120 to 150 ftw and were about 120 ft on the downrigger for both. Plug cut herring and chartreuse flashers. Hope this helps. View attachment 953624
View attachment 953625
Don
You put in the time to earn those fish, but your knowledge and skill ensure your results. Glad you got ‘ em!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Heard of some dinks caught and released south near Waldport recently.

·
King Lingcod
49,657 Posts
When ODFW sent out the 3 option Coho season, I'm still trying to figure out which option to pick.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
OK... Looks like thing might start heating up

21 - 40 of 90 Posts