IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Nice work everybody. Lots of good looking animals in the thread.

My buddy and I went 2/2 opening morning. I jumped mine about a 1/4 mile from our meeting spot. Once I shot, it spooked up a group of bucks next to him. Had 2 deer down at the same time. Great morning and my best buck to date. View attachment 965573 View attachment 965574
That's a Dandy !!!

40 Posts
Nice work everybody. Lots of good looking animals in the thread.

My buddy and I went 2/2 opening morning. I jumped mine about a 1/4 mile from our meeting spot. Once I shot, it spooked up a group of bucks next to him. Had 2 deer down at the same time. Great morning and my best buck to date. View attachment 965573 View attachment 965574
That's a beauty! I thought they were two different bucks at first. That first pic doesn't do his length and mass justice! Great buck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Congrats to those who filled their tags this year! Our party went 3 for 6 this year (nothing big) and there were opportunities for a larger buck to two, but fate will let them grow for next year.
Lets hope the tag distribution is generous next season!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I managed to fill an anterless mule deer tag last Wednesday, and my buck tag the following day. I was in Washington in Whitman county north of the Snake on private ground. I waited for a loan doe without a fawn from this year, and chose area with high doe to buck ratio. The buck was one of only a small handful I saw in 5 days, but saw 400+ does. The buck fell to 120 gr Barnes TSX in 7mm STW at 150 yards offhand while running. Not ideal shooting solution but I was ecstatic with result. Lot of good wheat field and lentil fed venison. Still hunting solo at 52 and I am happy on how I held up, might have a few more years before I need help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I managed to fill an anterless mule deer tag last Wednesday, and my buck tag the following day. I was in Washington in Whitman county north of the Snake on private ground. I waited for a loan doe without a fawn from this year, and chose area with high doe to buck ratio. The buck was one of only a small handful I saw in 5 days, but saw 400+ does. The buck fell to 120 gr Barnes TSX in 7mm STW at 150 yards offhand while running. Not ideal shooting solution but I was ecstatic with result. Lot of good wheat field and lentil fed venison. Still hunting solo at 52 and I am happy on how I held up, might have a few more years before I need help.
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Grass Terrestrial animal
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
16,714 Posts
Contrary to what many people were saying pre season, yup.
Pictures of dead bucks in the most vulnerable habitat does not speak to the volume of such animals and I am sure most of the spikes and little forkies don't make this forum, but it may very well point out the achilles heel of our current wildlife management.

·
Registered
39,990 Posts
Read some interesting stuff one time about width as it relates to record book bucks. At the time of the article, something like 7 out of the top ten had spreads of 27" or less. Width had little effect on final score. High scoring antlers are configured so as the first fork is five inches above the eye guard. That's one hand width if you grip the main beam. Second fork is the same from the first fork. After that, it's mostly point length with a little help from mass.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Got this buck on my Juniper Premium tag. Headed out on 11/12 with plans to stay until the end of the month if needed. It was cold and the deer were hard to come by. I got into a good population of deer on day 6 and found this buck on the morning of the 7th day. There was some serious rut action going on. This buck was following a doe for a couple hours while I watched him through the scope. I had 650yds of 2 ft tall sage between me and him. I dont feel super comfortable at that range especially without any way to shoot prone. Eventually he bedded down and I crawled 3/4 of a mile round about to get a shot on him. got within 150 yards of him when he stood up and walked right into the 2 track dirt road I was crawling down, giving me the easiest bipod prone shot I could ask for. Dropped him where he was standing. He came out to 26 3/8" wide and he THICC. He looked good in the spotter and looked even better up close. Feel pretty good about this buck for my first mule deer ;)
Atmosphere Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural environment
Plant Hunting Deer hunting Vertebrate Air gun

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Got this buck on my Juniper Premium tag. Headed out on 11/12 with plans to stay until the end of the month if needed. It was cold and the deer were hard to come by. I got into a good population of deer on day 6 and found this buck on the morning of the 7th day. There was some serious rut action going on. This buck was following a doe for a couple hours while I watched him through the scope. I had 650yds of 2 ft tall sage between me and him. I dont feel super comfortable at that range especially without any way to shoot prone. Eventually he bedded down and I crawled 3/4 of a mile round about to get a shot on him. got within 150 yards of him when he stood up and walked right into the 2 track dirt road I was crawling down, giving me the easiest bipod prone shot I could ask for. Dropped him where he was standing. He came out to 26 3/8" wide and he THICC. He looked good in the spotter and looked even better up close. Feel pretty good about this buck for my first mule deer ;) View attachment 968539 View attachment 968540
That is a heavy O'l buck!

161 - 180 of 184 Posts