IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think they should out law spikes and forks not taller than their ears. It would improve numbers and the road hunters would be in a world of hurt. I avg about 6-8 miles and only saw 2 people on foot
I agree with this, state wide! The new spike rule is nothing but a very shortsighted attempt at making themselves look better by improving hunter success rates on paper. Absolutely no "management" to it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
To many people, it is the experience that matters, not antler size. It’s their tag, their money, their time with family, who are any of us to judge what someone shoots and eats? Is the Definition of a “trophy“ the same for all? Rather…..should it be?
Ok but who's deer herd are they doing this too?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I agree with this, state wide! The new spike rule is nothing but a very shortsighted attempt at making themselves look better by improving hunter success rates on paper. Absolutely no "management" to it.
I was just talking with another ifisher about this. Mule deer should be 3 point or better period. Blacktail should be fork or better. It was pretty clear that ODFW allowed the shooting of spikes because too many people were complaining that they couldn't find a legal buck to shoot. How do fix the problem, let them shoot 1.5 year olds. Then the complainers go away. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I was just talking with another ifisher about this. Mule deer should be 3 point or better period. Blacktail should be fork or better. It was pretty clear that ODFW allowed the shooting of spikes because too many people were complaining that they couldn't find a legal buck to shoot. How do fix the problem, let them shoot 1.5 year olds. Then the complainers go away. Problem fixed.
What happens when the spikes run out 😳🤔

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Hey Lloyd - maybe you could post up a picture of your brothers fork. That way next year I will know what an Ehunter apporved fork looks like - but I'll be sure to hike at least 8 miles before taking the shot ;)
Your missing my point forks are fine I think spikes should be passed on but that's my opinion. My point is they are being shot from the road before they are smart enough to escape.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Spikes never run out...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That is basic biology. This year's fawns are next year's spikes and forks. Antlers are a signal of genetic fitness. Protecting spikes and short forks will enhance the odds of "inferior" bucks surviving and siring more inferior bucks for the future.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do your PM's not work?
I thought this was a hunter success thread/mule deer pic thread ?
Based on past experience, it is imperative that the annual "official success" threads turn into F&W management criticism threads... Otherwise, what are we all here for?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Based on past experience, it is imperative that the annual "official success" threads turn into F&W management criticism threads... Otherwise, what are we all here for?

Lack of ‘success’ reports and photos is pretty telling to me! 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
There’s a lot more success out there than this site will ever see. I’ve had a lot of success that won’t be seen here. Rest assured, there’s success out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice... well I suppose that's true since ODFW publishes more data than could be found on IFISH...

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,294 Posts
Well, we have been having success finding them, just not successful filling a tag yet.

Today, my son and I saw 24 mulies. Nine of those were bucks. (One 1x2, seven 2x2, and one BIG 4x4). Couldn’t get a shot on the 4x4 and while some of the 2x2s were pretty big, there is a 3pt minimum in the area we hunt. Even though we haven’t notched a tag yet, we are loving the pursuit.

As a bonus, we saw six moose today as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 184 Posts