IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
121 - 140 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
well where we were it was few and far between for animals. Probably close to 100 plus deer, with only 4 bucks two of which were buttons. Not many hanging in camps and most folks we talked with had a similar challenge.
I was in the ocohos too I probably saw 200 does and fawns. I never saw a horn. My brother killed a nice fork. Most of the deer killed were little bucks shot from the road. One monster was killed when it crossed the road. I saw elk 4 branched bulls one monster. I has a sow with a cub cross a dirt road I was on at about 50 yards. Tons of turkeys I must have been hunting in a nursery

·
Registered
796 Posts
I was in the ocohos too I probably saw 200 does and fawns. I never saw a horn. My brother killed a nice fork. Most of the deer killed were little bucks shot from the road. One monster was killed when it crossed the road. I saw elk 4 branched bulls one monster. I has a sow with a cub cross a dirt road I was on at about 50 yards. Tons of turkeys I must have been hunting in a nursery

Similar experience this year. Averaged 30 does and 2 dinky bucks a day throughout the season. Passed a 20in 4x4 and a similar sized 3 opening morning. Killed a 3 yr old 2x3 last hr of last day. On a plus side lots of little bucks made it through, better days to come. Saw something like 22 forks.

·
Registered
16,714 Posts
That big buck was probably kicked out by one of those guys hunting "harder and further". I think we should legalize shooting all fawns, most of them are going to die anyways............interesting how so few little forks photos show up on this thread, we all know they are the majority of the harvest.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That big buck was probably kicked out by one of those guys hunting "harder and further". I think we should legalize shooting all fawns, most of them are going to die anyways............interesting how so few little forks photos show up on this thread, we all know they are the majority of the harvest.
haha.. I was thinking the same thing. First few days you could here the shooting progressing up the major access routes each morning. What's the logic behind that? You wait a few years to draw a tag just to shoot a fork on the side of the road opening morning? Is it the desire to fill a tag? Just feel like killing something?

·
Registered
8,587 Posts

I think they should out law spikes and forks not taller than their ears. It would improve numbers and the road hunters would be in a world of hurt. I avg about 6-8 miles and only saw 2 people on foot

Reactions: 358norma

·
Registered
16,714 Posts
haha.. I was thinking the same thing. First few days you could here the shooting progressing up the major access routes each morning. What's the logic behind that? You wait a few years to draw a tag just to shoot a fork on the side of the road opening morning? Is it the desire to fill a tag? Just feel like killing something?
According to the hunter polling, it is the new hunter base of Oregon that the commission is pandering to.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think they should out law spikes and forks not taller than their ears. It would improve numbers and the road hunters would be in a world of hurt. I avg about 6-8 miles and only saw 2 people on foot
Same here, only saw a couple guys in deep. A decoy op on opening weekend ought to finance the entire ochoco district for the year.

·
Registered
16,714 Posts
To many people, it is the experience that matters, not antler size. It’s their tag, their money, their time with family, who are any of us to judge what someone shoots and eats? Is the Definition of a “trophy“ the same for all? Rather…..should it be?
Hence my fawn comment, might as well lower the standards some more, most will not survive the winter anyways.....................

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
To many people, it is the experience that matters, not antler size. It’s their tag, their money, their time with family, who are any of us to judge what someone shoots and eats? Is the Definition of a “trophy“ the same for all? Rather…..should it be?
The experience should be legal too shooting from your truck to get 40 lb deer is not ethical. What bothers me the most is seeing families driving around so the kids think hunting is driving the road.

Reactions: TimberTiger

·
Registered
796 Posts
I agree completely. My comments have less to do with the size of the animal than the size of the hunt. Not much hunt involved with killing deer in the ditch.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Had a great solo hunt this year. 1st time in a new area. I saw plenty of deer in an area that according to everything I read online...."there are no deer left". Hes not the biggest on the mountain, but I am happy to have some meat in the freezer this year. View attachment 965406
The "Treeless Method" .. I like... Great pic also..

40 Posts
If spikes and small forkies (I love huge forkies, but those are mature bucks) couldn't be shot, how many more of those small bucks would be alive the following hunting season, therefore becoming larger and more mature bucks? 50-65% more doesn't seem too high of an estimate. Imagine how many more mature bucks would be running around Oregon if something like this was implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I've shot my share of forkies and even one spike - and I was excited to do so each time and they ate extremely well. So I'm certainly not shaming anyone for whatever legal animal they choose to harvest. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
24,219 Posts
I saw more deer than average in the area I was in. But very few fawn were in these groups. Around 10 per 100 at most.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,294 Posts
Saw four forked horns and nine does yesterday. Talked to an older gent who had seen six forked horns, to include a huge gray-faced fork on Saturday. Unfortunately, the unit we were hunting is 3pt min.

None of the deer we saw seemed to care at all that we were there. At one point, I was standing upwind of three does and a fawn, no more than 25 yards away. Wind was blowing right at them, but they just kept on feeding and occasionally would look up at me. Then, one doe and the fawn decided they were just going to lay down right there. Never even flinched when I circled around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Hey Lloyd - maybe you could post up a picture of your brothers fork. That way next year I will know what an Ehunter apporved fork looks like - but I'll be sure to hike at least 8 miles before taking the shot ;)

• Haha
Reactions: StrawberryMTN
121 - 140 of 184 Posts