IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't get to go over until Wednesday. One of our hunting partners got one opening morning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well...Shot a fork Sunday morning around 10AM headed back to camp off the hill...dead where he stood. 800 yard drag down hill to camp. Been a while since I have harvested both an elk and a deer same year. Grateful and Thankful. Put in about 10 miles in total hiking this weekend. 1,300ft elevation gain.

Had a friend with me this year...only his second time big game hunting...Saturday morning I bumped a buck I didn't see up to him...He didn't want to take the shot at 300 yards while running. Understandable. He was really excited to learn how to gut the deer I shot and break it down...of course I obliged and taught him ;)

Heard more shots Saturday morning than I have heard in years opening morning...A lot of follow up shots, too.

I swear every walkie station had someone on it...most of it being spanish lol.

In total...34 doe and 2 bucks seen for two days hunting. Saw some mountain quail which was cool.

Saw a lot of gut piles right on the main roads this year...Somebody, for some reason, thought they needed to put the genitals of a buck on one of those big wooden public sign boards...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I also tagged this guy Sunday morning and from Thursday/Friday scouting and Saturday being opener I didn't have high hopes if filling my tag with a trophy. The area I hunt used to be awesomein the "old days", but its pretty sad at the numbers now. Saturday I hunted the entire day, did about 11-12 miles on foot and lots of driving just to see what was around. Mine was the only camp within about 15 miles which was weird?? There used to be 2 huge camps most years just down the hill from me and a scattering of camps all along the road like you would expect. I never saw another hunter and never heard a shot opening day - I had to double check to make sure it was deer season :oops:

So Sunday mid morning I did a loop that has produced on the past especially later in the morning or mid afternoon you catch the deer moving up hill in this spot. Anyway, found a small bunch with the non-typical forked horn - kinda cool buck so I'm pretty happy with him.

·
Brood stock
6,322 Posts
I also tagged this guy Sunday morning and from Thursday/Friday scouting and Saturday being opener I didn't have high hopes if filling my tag with a trophy. The area I hunt used to be awesomein the "old days", but its pretty sad at the numbers now. Saturday I hunted the entire day, did about 11-12 miles on foot and lots of driving just to see what was around. Mine was the only camp within about 15 miles which was weird?? There used to be 2 huge camps most years just down the hill from me and a scattering of camps all along the road like you would expect. I never saw another hunter and never heard a shot opening day - I had to double check to make sure it was deer season :oops:

So Sunday mid morning I did a loop that has produced on the past especially later in the morning or mid afternoon you catch the deer moving up hill in this spot. Anyway, found a small bunch with the non-typical forked horn - kinda cool buck so I'm pretty happy with him.

Definitely has some caribou genetics lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well...Shot a fork Sunday morning around 10AM headed back to camp off the hill...dead where he stood. 800 yard drag down hill to camp. Been a while since I have harvested both an elk and a deer same year. Grateful and Thankful. Put in about 10 miles in total hiking this weekend. 1,300ft elevation gain.

Had a friend with me this year...only his second time big game hunting...Saturday morning I bumped a buck I didn't see up to him...He didn't want to take the shot at 300 yards while running. Understandable. He was really excited to learn how to gut the deer I shot and break it down...of course I obliged and taught him ;)

Heard more shots Saturday morning than I have heard in years opening morning...A lot of follow up shots, too.

I swear every walkie station had someone on it...most of it being spanish lol.

In total...34 doe and 2 bucks seen for two days hunting. Saw some mountain quail which was cool.

Saw a lot of gut piles right on the main roads this year...Somebody, for some reason, thought they needed to put the genitals of a buck on one of those big wooden public sign boards...
Gorgeous country right there!! It's amazing to be out in the Oregon woods this time of year. October is by far my favorite month with all the fishing and hunting options available along with the weather.

Congrats on filling your tag!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Many days scouting and exploring new country paid off big. My little brother shot his first buck Sunday morning around 10 am. Very proud of him and glad to be able to provide him with a good hunting experience. He did great. Shot at 133 yds with the trusty .243, went 40 yds and fell dead. Never complained once on the 3.5 mile packout ;).
Plant Hunting Plant community Hat Smile

·
Registered
225 Posts
Three hanging,three to go.. This is the best one. The buck that was running with him was bigger... Our buddies son got his first.mulie..
That is a stud buck, Santiam! Wednesday night can't come quick enough for me!
Plans at church and work made me shift my dates for running over east and I'm getting jittery haha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Well, Superman....aka my 81 year old dad....got it done opening morning! We have designated a canyon for him, and he can get there well enough. Easy trails, only 1/2 mile from camp, and a great view! Well, 291yards later, he tagged out! A couple of us packed it out for him.
Proud of him. 1.5 legs, and a weakened heart, but he is a studly, old, stubborn cuss that doesn't take set backs or sitting down too well.
Camouflage Military camouflage Sky Cargo pants Plant community
Sky Cloud Natural landscape Highland Mountain

I've passed on a few bucks this weekend, but will get after it again next weekend! Can't wait to retire so I can hunt longer!!

Congrats to all the successful hunters so far!

BU

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Well, the two bucks I watched on Sunday evening were nowhere to be found when I was in ML range last night. Neither was the fork that darted in front of me Monday morning down into his bedding area. But when I glasses that same bedding area this morning, I was able to turn up a buck in a small shooting window amongst thick brush. With time running out on my season (Utah) I didn’t pay any attention to the antlers and went right to range finding and getting on my gun. My first mule deer and I was pleased when I walked up on him!

1 - 20 of 184 Posts