IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday was another beautiful calm day at LBC. Fish were willing biters on my 5 month old tuna and garlic shoepeg corn! Crooked River arm right off the boat ramp as soon as the water got deep. Action was so fast barely had time to pour a cup of coffee and then I didn't even finish it! Two down riggers fished 80 to 85 feet deep and one flatline with 2 oz of lead out 45 feet directly behind the boat. Each rod produced about equal. One had orange hoochie, one a pink spinner. the other pink and black beads and gold blade spinner. These were just what I had on. Not sure color made any difference. 1.2 mph. Fish between 10 and 11 1/2 inches, fat and had copepods. Before the limit was increased to 10 fish ranged from 8 to 9" this time of the year. Did change in limit affect size of fish? Or is something else going on? Sure seems like there are just as many if not more fish than I used to mark. Now if I could just get my wife to clean the fish she catches!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Action was so fast barely had time to pour a cup of coffee
January 14th was indeed a super nice day on the lake -- great weather and lights out fishing. I was a bit surprised that there were about 2 dozen rigs in the parking lot when I got there about 10:30 am. Great to get out for some "bonus" winter fishing. A couple of guys were pulling out as I was launching. They said they got their 20 fish in about an hour and a half. They commented on the increased size of fish for this time of year.

My experience was identical to that of OldRanger. I ran my downrigger down to 80-90 feet with a small pink spinner and old stale corn. Had my first fish within two minutes. I ran one pole for kokes and pulled plugs for bulls on the other. Nothing on the plugs. My fish averaged 10 1/2 inches and the bigger ones were actually fun to catch.

OldRanger -- I thought that was you and your wife out there Thursday. I was trolling your way, when you pulled up your electric trolling motor headed for the docks. Sorry we didn't connect.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
I have only fished for Koke's a few time's. Even took a class on it and must have never learned a thing. Have never caught one in Oregon! Gonna have to try it again. On Flathead Lake in Montana I used to fish for them off the bank with florescent orange spoons and managed to catch them, tried them here and nothing! After taking the class, I went out and stocked up on some stuff to catch them Have a can of that special corn that's been sitting in the bed room 8 or 10 yrs now! What the heck, I learned how to catch crappie! Thanks to a guy on here but those Koke's own my brain! Don't know how you cook them here but in Montana seem's we always smoked them. They were good smoked!

Something about getting them in deep water, Flathead has spots that I think the bottom of is actually lakes in China! Flathead is deep! But had a guy I knew worked for fish and game up there and would go out with him netting them. Some kind of study's. We netted them about 50' off the bank in relatively shallow water. Then even though I kenw we netted them there, I never caught any on a rod there! Good thing for me about Billy Chnook is it's fairly close to home Bad thing for me is it get's a ton of boats on it. Of course Prineville Res does too but that's where I catch most my crappie!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have only fished for Koke's a few time's. Even took a class on it and must have never learned a thing. Have never caught one in Oregon! Gonna have to try it again. On Flathead Lake in Montana I used to fish for them off the bank with florescent orange spoons and managed to catch them, tried them here and nothing! After taking the class, I went out and stocked up on some stuff to catch them Have a can of that special corn that's been sitting in the bed room 8 or 10 yrs now! What the heck, I learned how to catch crappie! Thanks to a guy on here but those Koke's own my brain! Don't know how you cook them here but in Montana seem's we always smoked them. They were good smoked!

Something about getting them in deep water, Flathead has spots that I think the bottom of is actually lakes in China! Flathead is deep! But had a guy I knew worked for fish and game up there and would go out with him netting them. Some kind of study's. We netted them about 50' off the bank in relatively shallow water. Then even though I kenw we netted them there, I never caught any on a rod there! Good thing for me about Billy Chnook is it's fairly close to home Bad thing for me is it get's a ton of boats on it. Of course Prineville Res does too but that's where I catch most my crappie!
Really not that many boats on LBC in the winter or spring. Fish Billy next nice day and if you put a gold or silver dodger with a hoochie or spinner 8 inches behind down where you are marking fish you shouid do fine. When I first started fishing for kokes I bought a bazillion different dodgers but have found that gold or silver work consistently so all my multi colored ones sit unused. I do use different hoochies and spinners but at Billy I usually use whatever I used my last trip, usually the same ones on each rod all winter and spring.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OldRanger -- I thought that was you and your wife out there Thursday. I was trolling your way, when you pulled up your electric trolling motor headed for the docks. Sorry we didn't connect.
Darn You should have yelled at me! We probably would have finished in less than 2 1/2 hours except we went about 20 minutes trolling too fast before I noticed it. Also spent some extra time because I stacked on one downrigger with an AC plug 10 feet below the kokanee gear.

Hope we connect next nice day.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I’m really confused by the regs at LBC. The regs say 5 Kokanee in addition to 5 trout. Is the limit only 5 Kokanee?

·
Registered
133 Posts
kokanee count as trout. So you can keep 10 kokanee, or 9 kokanee and 1 bull trout (I believe that's how they count).

Browns and bass aren't counted.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
kokanee count as trout. So you can keep 10 kokanee, or 9 kokanee and 1 bull trout (I believe that's how they count).

Browns and bass aren't counted.
Thanks! So it’s a 5 trout limit plus 5 Kokanee, or 4 trout with 6 Kokanee, but not the reverse with 6 trout and 4 Kokanee. And so on. Or just 10 Kokanee. Right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m really confused by the regs at LBC. The regs say 5 Kokanee in addition to 5 trout. Is the limit only 5 Kokanee?
Kokanee are included in 5 trout limit then there is "bonus" limit of 5 additional kokanee so you can keep 10 kokanee if you throw back any trout you might catch. Except brown trout do not count against limit, that is you can keep all the brown trout you catch. (I haven't caught a brown trout in years at LBC). Bottom line is if you keep only Kokanee and brown trout you can keep 10 kokanee and as many brown trout as you want. So my wife and I usually bring home 20 kokanee and 0 brown trout.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good day jigging all around CR arm, 4 limits all on pink gibb's about half the fish came with no corn most fish 10 - 40' deep. Lots of willing jumpers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do they generally do a good job of keeping the road down to the lake clear? Want to go Friday but don’t want to waste 3 hours of driving to not even be able to get to the boat launch. Thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do they generally do a good job of keeping the road down to the lake clear? Want to go Friday but don’t want to waste 3 hours of driving to not even be able to get to the boat launch. Thanks
If you are coming from 3 hours away you will be going over roads much more likely to have bad conditions than the drop down to the lake. If there is snow the road will get plowed. Only once have I been concerned pulling the boat down and that was due to super frosty conditions. I just went down in first gear keeping below 20 mph. Central oregon conditions look pretty iffy this week. But I never go unless temp is going to get over 40 and little or no wind.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are coming from 3 hours away you will be going over roads much more likely to have bad conditions than the drop down to the lake. If there is snow the road will get plowed. Only once have I been concerned pulling the boat down and that was due to super frosty conditions. I just went down in first gear keeping below 20 mph. Central oregon conditions look pretty iffy this week. But I never go unless temp is going to get over 40 and little or no wind.
Thank you for the reply. That is good to know that they plow it. Can’t wait to go. Will only be fishing Friday. It looks like Friday will be a pretty decent day weather and wind wise.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Let us know how you do. I am wanting to go myself but I am forcing myself to do those chores on the boat and the camper that need to be done. No more procrastinating.
I just installed the aftermarket surge brake kit on my trailer. Finally! Bought the kit in Sept.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I haven't fished LBC in the winter for kokanee, does it stay about the same all through the winter? Any problems launching a 20 ft boat in winter there ? Can you fish any of the Metolius arm without a tribal permit, or do you even need to bother with that arm? Thanks

1 - 20 of 69 Posts