IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
661 - 680 of 704 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Braid will get too much line twist too quickly and then you will have a mess. But the stainless wire sounds good.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

2 Rods & 3 for 6 with blasted 50 pound bumpers. 2 chinook and a Nice Coho released

All fish caught on the downhill troll with Brads Cut plugs and Tuna. A mix of suspended and fish on the bottom. The 3 lost where Coho I believe and lost when they came flying to the surface! Fish where spunky today.

Much warmer out today !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
So, one of those fancy Shortbus 360's goes for about $20 on a bad day ($15 in some local stores, occasionally on sale). Say you only catch one fish on it ever and then you lose it. One good salmon seems worth $20 to me. Heck, one pound of good salmon costs about as much at the store. I'm not suggesting we should indiscriminately litter the waterways with flashers, just trying to put some perspective on things.
That said, I've got some pretty thin stainless wire that I was gifted some time ago that's way less diameter than 50lb mono. 70lb braid is probably even thinner. Hmmm....
In 2019 I bought a 40' coil of 80# medical nitinol Titanium wire on fleabay for the cost of 1 package of made up leaders. We used the knots they sugget with crimps to either ball bearing or chain swivels. It's super streachable and only .023 thickness and it doesn't kink like stainless does. Have used the same bumpers from Springers to Summers to Buoy 10 to now without issues. It's as thin or thinner than the 40# STS Flouro we are using for bait, Brads, and Spinfish and the 50# STS for online spinners. We use them for both 360's and triangles and think they have really changed our success rate. If you think there is too much resistance using 150-200# leader material for bumpers, this solves that problem. We really like the stuff. jc Tuna Maru

·
Registered
622 Posts
Big fat goose egg for my solo trip today at the mouth of the lewis. Didn't see a whole lot going on for the other boats out there. But with the amazing weather and fall colors I ALMOST didn't care.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Beautiful day on the river above Camas. 2 for 4 with a nice URB and an honest 13-14# Coho. 2 other Coho came off at the boat. All on the same Simon blade, home made green/chrome 360 at 36' on the line counter, both banging the bottom and suspended. Saw lots of other fish taken around us. I think the Deadly Dunken Bloody Tuna/Sardine and ProCure Garlic has really helped too. Lots of fish on the finder, but had to stay on them as they moved around. jc Tuna Maru

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Still some fish around.

Friday report - 3/4.

Fished 2 rods 10-1. SB on the bottom. Ended the day with a double.

First fish hit at tide exchange.

Sounds like people are leaving rods out while hooked up in hopes of a double. I’ve hooked several doubles this year while reeling up when a fish is on.

Most of our action was on the bottom in 50+ feet of water.

Think fast for coho, not shallow.

Took the week off. Haven’t taken that many days off since March. Felt weird.

Back at it this afternoon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
3/4 today. 2 nice hatchery hohos, chinook jack, and lost a toad of a chinook. Kept the boat in gear, steady pressure, made several runs and even flashed its big tail at the surface, then gone. Broke my heart to lose that one. Hot rod was a blinking light chrome pro troll and a silver black red bead superbait. Bite died around 9.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
3/4 today. 2 nice hatchery hohos, chinook jack, and lost a toad of a chinook. Kept the boat in gear, steady pressure, made several runs and even flashed its big tail at the surface, then gone. Broke my heart to lose that one. Hot rod was a blinking light chrome pro troll and a silver black red bead superbait. Bite died around 9.
Yeah there are some decent chinook still going Thru with sea lice. Definitely need to get an early start. Most our action very early regardless of tide.
I think sometimes keeping the boat in gear on those big fish hurts you. I know 80 percent will disagree

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Fish with a buddy yesterday, at the deadline 2/3 one small Chinook and a wild coho lost another. Didn't see a whole lot of other fish caught. Did hear of some lost my other friends.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Fish with a buddy yesterday, at the deadline 2/3 one small Chinook and a wild coho lost another. Didn't see a whole lot of other fish caught. Did hear of some lost my other friends.
Deadline = Warrior Rock? I assume that is what you mean as there is not a deadline now but that was it most of the season. That is cool you were able to still get a chinook! If you believe the fish passage numbers the chinook season is over.

·
Registered
529 Posts
4/4 today (one nook is a big jack but I’ll take it), the 2 bigger ones came first pass on the tide swing. All 4 on the same rod up river from warrior rock.

Low pressure, nice day. Didn’t even leave the dock until 9:30 and ran all the way down from Gleason.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Deadline = Warrior Rock? I assume that is what you mean as there is not a deadline now but that was it most of the season. That is cool you were able to still get a chinook! If you believe the fish passage numbers the chinook season is over.
Yes my mistake.. the old deadline

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes that was my experience too yesterday. Lot of work for one nice 9 pound coho. But we got it.
Then today talked to a guy who said he was down lower on the river yesterday and they got six for the three of them. All hatchery coho.

Today we were out at 8 am and before we got the third rod's lead connected my first rod went down on a mexican hat brads cut plug. Bam fish for everyone guranteed no matter what happens for the rest of the day. Takes the pressure off for sure. 10.9 pound coho. 45 mins later a nice 6 pounder.

Then an hour later lost a nice hookup due to too short of a tail on my hook knot. Won't make that mistake again. Learning the hard way sucks. But finally at 1 30 a nice 10 ound hatchery chinook complete with sea lice was boated.
This fishery is far from over! Going out again on tuesday.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
4/4 today (one nook is a big jack but I’ll take it), the 2 bigger ones came first pass on the tide swing. All 4 on the same rod up river from warrior rock.

Low pressure, nice day. Didn’t even leave the dock until 9:30 and ran all the way down from Gleason.

Nice!
How much line out and lead?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Saturday report. Couldn’t close the deal. Had 2 nice coho to the boat. Both got off. Handed fish off to a friend who hasn’t fished for 20 years. Hot fish next to boat with inexperienced angler = no good. Broke one off as well. Should have changed the leader. Sad to lose a killer SB.

Sunday solo trip ended 1/3. Thought I would get my limit.

All bites on SB fished on the bottom.

Has anyone else noticed how well these coho are fighting? They are fighting like good size chinook. Maybe, it has something to do with the cooler water? Either way, they have been fun to catch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts

My wife has wanted to make that run numerous times. Since Gleason is like our 'home' ramp, if I may ask, how far of a run is it to Warrior Rock? We've run uphill to Cape Horn and above, but never down. Beautiful bunch of fish, by the way. jc Tuna Maru

661 - 680 of 704 Posts