IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
641 - 660 of 711 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ha! Nice... I've got a bunch of orange labels and I've been meaning to put one in a helmet and run it behind a 360. Might give it a shot.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Orange label will work behind a 360. I use cured cut plug reds and orange behind one just fine and have done well on the coast. I’m having confidence issues running spinners. Just the opposite of you. Lol….

Kirk

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Nice Mike T. Brutal fog and cold.
You faired good.
I’m still learning the Pro Troller ways since I mainly fished Triangles on the Troll in the past. Learning even 30 Pound Maxima UG isn’t enough for Leaders and broke a 50 Pound Bumper today on another fish. The Bumper was probably nicked fighting the first fish and I missed the bad spot. Not sure why the Brads Cut on 30 pound busted. It was just a normal Coho. Maybe I got a bad batch of Line??
Anyways I know I know I need to bump it up it’s just a learning curve as 30 pound leader worked great in the Past and even landed oversize sturgeon on it in NON Proll Troll fisheries. I also replace my Brads leader with new 30 pound every night so it’s fresh for the next trip.

Anyways for the report 2 Rods and 1 for 4 which includes our 2 busted off ones. ugh
. Fish seemed a little higher in the water Column.
Any advice on leader material and brand that handles stress from Pro trolls would be nice for this fishery?
Yeah I know about the heavy Bumpers and I have some....I just hate 100 to 200 pound test for salmon.
Still got a good one landed with 30 pound leader and it fought well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
For Brad's, Spinfish and spinners behind a skateboard I've gone to Seaguar STS flourocarbon in 40-lb. In three seasons I've not had a knot fail or broken off a fish. That stuff is stiff and has a hard finish. It holds up very well to the abrasion from plastic lures spinning on it.

Reactions: mic4fish

·
Registered
14,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
derrick, I use maxima 50 lb big game. a lot of guides are now using 60 lbs.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Thank you. I’m pretty soft on fish and probably could keep the same routine but sometimes others are not so I need to bump up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It was brutally cold and very foggy. Yes that was me with the fog horn blowing softly, and loudly at times.
They were higher in the water.
Kept one, landed two and lost one.
First one hit on a medium Brad's cut plug Mexican hat going upstream. It was a nice 20 pound native. My friend was so quiet while he fought that thing, pure concentration! At first I thought it was a Chinook, it was so big and it pulled so hard, but once I got him to open up it was white gumline and no spots on the tail bottom half. Took one bad photo of him in the net and let him go.
Then next pass through that same area going downstream I got a nice take down, I did not rush taking the rod out of the holder and landed a nice 8 pound wild chinook. Then we got lost in the fog trolling a lot. Sorry to those I came closer to than I normally would when passing you as you come toward me but I did not see you til you were close. Thanks for not yelling at me. These two were landed between 7 30 and 8 am. Kept on trolling and grinding in the cold and fog until bam, a big take down at slack tide. Chris jumped up and I think he took it out of the holder too soon and I think my hook was too small.
Anyway great fishing today, I saw lots of nets catching fish between 7 and 9, if I could see you. I will be back there on Sat and Sunday. The Coho are coming.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh the guys at addicted have a great you tube on how to use pro troll 360's with Brad's. I follow that. I am using bumpers I made of 80 pound Seaguar and crimps. And after I lost a fish I switched everything to 40 pound flourocarbon for the lure leaders.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Oh the guys at addicted have a great you tube on how to use pro troll 360's with Brad's. I follow that. I am using bumpers I made of 80 pound Seaguar and crimps. And after I lost a fish I switched everything to 40 pound flourocarbon for the lure leaders.
Yeah I bought 40 # fluorocarbon yesterday at Anglers West. Man fishing tackle inventory is pretty low on the inventory side of things. . Thanks

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,216 Posts
Man, I’m almost disappointed that I’m leaving town for hunting season. I want to be out catching coho!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I went to 200 lb bumpers with crimps. Doesn't effect the spin at all and only a main line break will severe that oh so valuable 360.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I went to 200 lb bumpers with crimps. Doesn't effect the spin at all and only a main line break will severe that oh so valuable 360.
That’s what I started with and caught some fish in the first few years but since I switch to a lighter 50 pound ish and shorter bumper my success rate has sky rocketed. I have only lost one flasher with light stuff and it was human error.
I believe and I may be crazy to think this but I can troll slower and get those things to kick easier using lighter line. At least on my boat.

Not fishing today as it’s a smoke fish day. Hopefully it was warmer out there. !!! I work in Alaska and I felt like I was there yesterday.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That’s what I started with and caught some fish in the first few years but since I switch to a lighter 50 pound ish and shorter bumper my success rate has sky rocketed. I have only lost one flasher with light stuff and it was human error.
I believe and I may be crazy to think this but I can troll slower and get those things to kick easier using lighter line. At least on my boat.

Not fishing today as it’s a smoke fish day. Hopefully it was warmer out there. !!! I work in Alaska and I felt like I was there yesterday.

Thats not the case, the leash leader lb does not affect the kick. It is just you have confidence in the gear now.
TONS use 150lb - 200lb mono for leash and it does not affect the action one bit.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Thats not the case, the leash leader lb does not affect the kick. It is just you have confidence in the gear now.
TONS use 150lb - 200lb mono for leash and it does not affect the action one bit.
Sticking with my program for now. You know me it takes a while for change

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Sticking with my program for now. You know me it takes a while for change

It’s the shorter bumper that might be having the effect. Shorter bumper translates into tighter “spin” area and more action for the same amount of thrust. Talked to a guide earlier during springer and he was able to run both a 360 and regular triangle flasher since he shortened his bumper. Usually you can’t since you are normally going faster for 360 than you are for a triangle flasher setup

·
Premium Member
14,530 Posts
So, one of those fancy Shortbus 360's goes for about $20 on a bad day ($15 in some local stores, occasionally on sale). Say you only catch one fish on it ever and then you lose it. One good salmon seems worth $20 to me. Heck, one pound of good salmon costs about as much at the store. I'm not suggesting we should indiscriminately litter the waterways with flashers, just trying to put some perspective on things.
That said, I've got some pretty thin stainless wire that I was gifted some time ago that's way less diameter than 50lb mono. 70lb braid is probably even thinner. Hmmm....

641 - 660 of 711 Posts