IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year everyone. All the catch reporting paid off. We now have a 5 kokanee bonus catch on Detroit. So a total limit of 10 Kokanee or 5 kokanee and 5 trout. Let's keep up the reporting on all the lakes. This data really helps.

Tight Lines,

KPO

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thinking about giving Detroit a shot on Sunday to try out my shiny new 2021 fishin license. Looks like the water is being released.

Interested in a report or comment about chances of failure due to an uncooperative ramp to launch the boat.

Weather at this point looks brisk, but tolerable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'll be up there in the morning, ill post a report on the ramp condition when we pull the boat out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Boat ramp has plenty of water. 30+ boats out today, 3 limits of fish for us, majority of them being rainbows.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
We started around 9 and pulled out at 3. Worked from a sight line to the dam back to Mongold with three rods. Deployed a dr around 11 Had plenty of next year fish and a few keepers including a pr of 13+” kokes. Kept a couple pan-sized rb. 1.3 mph and ~200’ back may have been as good as anything.

Almost no debris on the smooth, windless water today. Great day to be on this patch of water.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We started around 9 and pulled out at 3. Worked from a sight line to the dam back to Mongold with three rods. Deployed a dr around 11 Had plenty of next year fish and a few keepers including a pr of 13+” kokes. Kept a couple pan-sized rb. 1.3 mph and ~200’ back may have been as good as anything.

Almost no debris on the smooth, windless water today. Great day to be on this patch of water.
This may seem simple but I'm new to kokanee. Would a dude vertical jigging from a kayak have any measurable chances of success and relative safety at Detroit lake? I have a relatively large fishing kayak with a fish finder so I'm not exactly out there in a Costco coffin wandering around aimlessly if that helps my odds at all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As long as wind is reasonably low there are many kayakers out. Try drifting over schools in the arms and south of the island. Once you find a school just stay on them. Course us trollers hate that L0L but is what it is. Lots of kayaks also just long line troll and seem to do as good as boats. This guy "Uplandsandpiper" on here is kind of a kayak legend and awesome source of info for kayaks. his youtube channel has many videos, all informative, https://www.youtube.com/user/spiltmilt

·
Registered
56 Posts
As long as wind is reasonably low there are many kayakers out. Try drifting over schools in the arms and south of the island. Once you find a school just stay on them. Course us trollers hate that L0L but is what it is. Lots of kayaks also just long line troll and seem to do as good as boats. This guy "Uplandsandpiper" on here is kind of a kayak legend and awesome source of info for kayaks. his youtube channel has many videos, all informative, https://www.youtube.com/user/spiltmilt
Hah! About 90% of what I know about kokanee has come from him! Love watching him catch them!

I would love to try long lining for them, but my kayak isn't a pedal kayak and swinging a paddle from side to side makes it difficult to troll for anything. He can just keep on peddling while pulling the rod from the rod holder. I have to try to find a way to secure my paddle and get to the rod before it comes off. Plus with a rod hanging out sideways reduces the room I have to maneuver the paddle and I keep whacking my rod. That is why I have started setting myself up to more efficiently jig for them. I just didn't know if wind conditions and/or party boats running up and down the lake may commonly create waves and wakes that may make things hazardous too often for a guy on a kayak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The limit at Detroit is now 10 fish, only 5 of which can be trout. Basically a bonus 5 Kokanee effective this year. Still no retention of chinook of any size.
Had 3 friends fish 3 hours Sunday 1/17. 13 kokes total. Kept 9 - all between 13-15" and they were big fish he said. North of the island.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks to the idiot that side swiped my trailer Saturday 1/23 busting my fender and bending the ***** out of the corner of my trailer. Really appreciate it. Learn to drive. IDIOT

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds like some quality Kokanee there, thanks for the reports.:)

Number 34, sorry to hear about your trailer. Whoever it was knew
perfectly well that they hit you.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts