IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not Jim, but I saw a request for a centralized place for CR salmon reports, so here it is, post away!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Todays report:

Crossed a really nice bar about 9 am on the south side. Ran past CR buoy, deployed gear. Slow bite as we worked west and south, but picked up 2 limits for our 2 rods. Better grade of Coho again today, and found a small keeper nook and a better nook.

Ocean was much better than forecast, but wind seems to be coming up again now in Hammond.

We're gonna take a look at it in the morning, maybe try to get out earlier.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
It appears Friday is the day the ocean quits it's recent temper tantrum. WF is giving even better reports for the following week... I do want to get back out and try new tactics to foil the Houdini's of the barbless hook. I'm intrigued by the spinfish lure but I can't find/buy one to try it. Honestly it looks like a brads CP will suffice just fine. I've got anchovies from trips in the past, (I save them for tuna chum) and I think that'll work just fine for scent in the CP.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
We got bit on whole anchovies in helmets today, and a longer leader, like 48 inches.

I didnt have fresh, so frozen chovy in my brine got it done. 30 feet on the counters. I know another boat had 5 fish around CR, and another boat had 4 fish further south. Not many folks out today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It appears Friday is the day the ocean quits it's recent temper tantrum. WF is giving even better reports for the following week... I do want to get back out and try new tactics to foil the Houdini's of the barbless hook. I'm intrigued by the spinfish lure but I can't find/buy one to try it. Honestly it looks like a brads CP will suffice just fine. I've got anchovies from trips in the past, (I save them for tuna chum) and I think that'll work just fine for scent in the CP.
We lost a ton and said enough is enough put on a 6/0 open eye siwash on a small black barrel swivel bead 3 inch hootchie and 3.5 spinner blade and a chunk of bait hung them on that big ass hook worked like a champ

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
We lost a ton and said enough is enough put on a 6/0 open eye siwash on a small black barrel swivel bead 3 inch hootchie and 3.5 spinner blade and a chunk of bait hung them on that big ass hook worked like a champ
I'm on this program, we don't lose many, and the strikes are vicious.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I'm on this program, we don't lose many, and the strikes are vicious.
Thanks for these "hot tips". A 3.5 spinner was a thought we had as well as that "bigger" hook. I have big river 6/0 hooks that I use for sturgeon so maybe I will tie on a "bigger" hook and try that. Frankly, I'm seeing smaller baits is a common fix and the "multiplier" of a larger hook certainly isn't looking like a deterrent to "staying hooked up".

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
Hook style makes a difference with Silvers. Sickle style is the only way to go. They do make a difference. Dunno why so many folks are reluctant to use them. They've been on the market for many years. They do come with siwash eyes.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I have to believe Big River (sickle style) hooks are the most popular salmon hook out there. The only thing I do different is bend the tip out so it's not in line with the shank.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
Badsmurf: I don't think they hook up better but they do hang on better because of the bend. The "V" keeps the hook from rotating because there is no round bend. It also forces the point portion of the hook to hug the tissue, less slop.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Are you running a triangle,360,naked?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Last week I ran Krippled anchovy helmets with 2 3/0 gmakatsu octopus hooks 2” apart, front hook just behind the dorsal fin of the anchovy and around the spine with point exposed. 2nd hook dangling. Lost very few and only a few drivebys didn’t hook up.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Last week I ran Krippled anchovy helmets with 2 3/0 gmakatsu octopus hooks 2” apart, front hook just behind the dorsal fin of the anchovy and around the spine with point exposed. 2nd hook dangling. Lost very few and only a few drivebys didn’t hook up.
I run that setup with a 3/0, 2/0 trailer in BRB and loose very few unless we break out the mooching reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's the money!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts