IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might as well get this going. Heading out tomorrow to get eyes on a few things before heading into the backcountry Friday morning to set up camp and be ready for Saturday’s opener. Good luck to everyone, shoot straight and plz post stories , pictures and whatever else from your season here.

“I smell blood on the air”

Good luck ladies and gentlemen!!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I successfully scouted this evening. Saw elk and 3 bucks. Packed my rifle in case I saw a bear but no luck (or sign) on that front.

Did some calling but didn't get a response. We'll will see what happens when bow season opens up.

Very excited for season. I've basically been working 2 full time jobs since March.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Buddy was up first seeing he was out of meat. Nice freezer filler rosie

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Got my first archery elk last evening! It was barely legal for the Saddle Mountain unit, but I'll take it.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Good job, especially to River! Welcome to elk hunting! That is some good shooting!

I had a lot of chances this weekend. Just couldn't get a shot opportunity. Do you guys draw back even if a bull is looking right at you?

A couple of those opportunities involved a spike walking around some brush and all of a sudden staring at me < 15 yards away. I waited to draw back so I wouldn't spook them but they or other elk nearby winded me and I didn't get a shot.

My wife is bummed because she wants me to shoot a spike since the meat is so much more tender. Still lots of time but I plan on shooting the first legal bull I can get a shot at.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Good job, especially to River! Welcome to elk hunting! That is some good shooting!

I had a lot of chances this weekend. Just couldn't get a shot opportunity. Do you guys draw back even if a bull is looking right at you?
Just depends, if the gig is up and he's going to blow out then yes give yourself an opportunity. Sometimes they stand still just long enough. If they're walking by and stop to take a look then usually no. Watch the body language, if they start to get antsy get to full draw. Normally they will bolt when you draw, but a really quick cow chirp often times will get them to stop and look back. That's when you need to be on target and let it fly as you'll only have a couple seconds to seal the deal.

tc

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What a great weekend full of memories with my dad. Nothing beats it.

Headed up Friday night...saw around 200 head on a ranch right off the highway...Always a cool site to see.

Got up around 3:45 and headed out to my spot...Got to my glassing spot around 5:00. Around 5:30 heard them talking right below me...too dark. Waited and waited for shooting light. It's funny how sound travels...They weren't in the draw I thought they were...Saw a herd of about 27 roughly 1,000 yards West of me.

Busted my tail over a few ridges to get in front before they got ahead of me and out of site...one finally gave me a chance as they were grouped together pretty good. Let 'er rip...herd moved up hill 20 yards as the one I hit peeled off and down the hill 20 yards. Saw a tree shake...elk down. Gutted, skinned, quartered and out by around 10:30 and into a walk in cooler.

Did some walking around Sunday morning...Found two game bags full of meat and two elk sheds together at the bottom a steep draw near a creek...No hunter in site or any remains of an elk...I let it lay...would have helped if I could.

Took my elk into the meating place to get it processed. First time taking game there. Gartners is closed Sunday or I would have gone there.

Great job to those that have had success thus far and good luck to everyone else!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts