IFish.net banner

41 - 60 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
With a June 1 change deadline, it certainly can't be earlier than that

If you would like the agency and its contractor to work 24/7 so that you can get your draw results earlier, find the ear of a legislator who agrees with you directing the commission to make those changes :idea:

Please make sure its General Fund dollars that will be paying the contractor a ridiculous amount of overtime so you can know one week earlier; I'm sure that will go over well in this state ;)
And all this time I thought the computers did all the work, so our contractor is hand entering all this data?

If not, I would imagine a computer would grind out the draw results in short order.

Well, there is the black list entries to make.................

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
And all this time I thought the computers did all the work, so our contractor is hand entering all this data?

If not, I would imagine a computer would grind out the draw results in short order.

Well, there is the black list entries to make.................

There are tests that are run to make sure the draw is statistically valid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,188 Posts

Interesting, so that is an admission that it can be invalid..............

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Interesting, so that is an admission that it can be invalid..............

Of course

And won’t be valid until a run is validated that it is valid

Hence the reason random draws are tested for statistical validation

The book “A Million Random Digits With 100,000 Normal Deviates” put out by the RAND Corporation at one time had a section that didn’t pass statistical validation and had to be replaced. 🤠

It’s just software for a controlled hunt drawing, not software to keep planes landing safely at PDX.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
With a June 1 change deadline, it certainly can't be earlier than that

If you would like the agency and its contractor to work 24/7 so that you can get your draw results earlier, find the ear of a legislator who agrees with you directing the commission to make those changes :idea:

Please make sure its General Fund dollars that will be paying the contractor a ridiculous amount of overtime so you can know one week earlier; I'm sure that will go over well in this state ;)

Really? - it is a a couple of finger strokes to run the program. If people are still working 7X24 someone needs to get **** canned. We run SAP data bases for the largest corporations in the country and this is not even like a single day of email. Heck our monitoring programs do more in a hour than this program does and we run them every 5 minutes.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

A computer can't test if something is statistically valid, it can only give you a confidence level (assuming it was programmed correctly), which needs to be interpreted by a human with a background in statistics. The mere fact that it has to be tested is alarming to me.

"It’s just software for a controlled hunt drawing, not software to keep planes landing safely at PDX" No, it is software to determine if people get a hunt of their lifetime. It needs to be mathematically fair and correct and have exactly zero bias. This is very important to hunters, and the deflection it is not, is not heart warming.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

I will say what I've said before... as a software engineer for more than two decades, this is either a false statement or ODFW and or their contractor are complete amateurs. Software testing is not done after the fact!!! There are many types of tests, unit testing, integration tests and so on... But all testing is done first to ensure the results, when they happen, are accurate. Seriously... can you imagine a financial institution saying "yeah go ahead and make that deposit or trade or whatever and we'll test it after the fact to make sure our financial data/results are correct" :)

It's one thing to try and give ODFW or their contractors a break, but not with BS. The entire draw could/should be done by computers in a matter of minutes. It's not complicated.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Really? - it is a a couple of finger strokes to run the program. If people are still working 7X24 someone needs to get **** canned. We run SAP data bases for the largest corporations in the country and this is not even like a single day of email. Heck our monitoring programs do more in a hour than this program does and we run them every 5 minutes.
Yeah, but you don't work for the government and you actually have incentive to do things right since you're working with your own money. ODFW is squandering ours and they'll just take more if they need it.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
They don't; but they might need to in order to get somebody's artificial deadline of June 3 to see their results instead of June 20 :hoboy:

Reading comprehension helps. :)

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Software testing is not done after the fact!!!.
Nobody said the software was being tested after the fact :hoboy:

But the draw results certainly will be :)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Both WY and AZ run their draw on a subset of data, 500 for Wyoming, then verify those results by hand. I suspect OR does the same but a call to the Licensing Services mgr would get that question answered.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Sure sounds complicated. I never figured Bingo ball selection had so much effort involved.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
No, it is software to determine if people get a hunt of their lifetime.
In a few cases, that's true. :)

In the vast majority of cases, that is simply not the case. :idea:

What is true is that the drawing for the Alsea doe tag be as fair as the drawing for Umatilla No. 3; and the idea that doing the tests which indicate that statistical fairness to be true takes zero time is pretty much wishful thinking. :D

·
Registered
682 Posts

I'm always a little puzzled when people complain about getting the draw results by June 20th when the actually drawing takes place the 1st week of June? I guess this is a really bad 1st world problem. :) Looking forward to the 20th!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

The draw results are a product of the software. They are not separate. Software is far more accurate than humans if built correctly and tested correctly. You're missing the point and if there are in fact humans "testing" results, they are much more amateurs than I ever would guess. You build and test software so when the actions happen there is no doubt as to the accuracy of the results. If you have any reason to question the results after the fact, then you failed in creating and testing the software properly. These are very simple software principles. Going back to my point about financial software, if they released software that they had to question the results after the fact, they would be out of business!!!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I don't write software but have used it every day since 1982 and to assume it's being written and tested to the point all aspects work is a very big stretch.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I don't write software but have used it every day since 1982 and to assume it's being written and tested to the point all aspects work is a very big stretch.
:gotmail:

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
The draw results are a product of the software. They are not separate. Software is far more accurate than humans if built correctly and tested correctly. You're missing the point and if there are in fact humans "testing" results, they are much more amateurs than I ever would guess. You build and test software so when the actions happen there is no doubt as to the accuracy of the results. If you have any reason to question the results after the fact, then you failed in creating and testing the software properly. These are very simple software principles. Going back to my point about financial software, if they released software that they had to question the results after the fact, they would be out of business!!!

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
How does Nevada have their draw this Wednesday and have the results two days later on Friday? Better system? Software? People?

41 - 60 of 414 Posts