IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching for a new open style aluminum boat, we all know what that market looks like right now. Have a friend that has a 2006 North river Seahawk that has been sitting for years. Less than 30 hours on the main and less on the kicker. 20' with offshore bracket. 115 Yamaha main (yes small) and 10 horse yamaha kicker. Its been stored outside but he had a full custom waterproof mooring cover made for it and has always had cowling covers on the motors. Was talking with him about buying this from him to use until I can find what I'm after. Obviously would want to change out all fluids all the way around. What other concerns? Scope the cylinder walls for rust or just spray in a little wd and test run them with fresh fuel and see how it goes? Or probably the right answer, take it to a dealer to deal with first..
Anyway, I know the hull and trailer are perfect. If the motors check out good what's it worth?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Likely need to change out all rubber water hoses, fuel lines, water pump impeller etc due age and dry rot. Make sure no mice have eaten into the wiring.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
prices have sky rocketed this year as you are aware. That boat goes for 32-36 if it runs good. Typically the 115 was put on those boats back then. Some have been repowered w 150’s.

·
Registered
903 Posts
30 hours is basically new. So worth every bit of 40 k unless critters have eaten parts of it

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses so far. This guy is "that guy" you want to buy stuff from. He told me the few little things he's noticed and the many things he's taken care of. He (and of course I) are just worried about the motors sitting that long.

·
Registered
38,073 Posts
Motors will be fine but I wouldn’t put WD in the cylinders. It isn’t a lubricant and the cylinders are probably pretty dry. I’d use a light spray oil like Rem-Oil for guns. Rworegon gave good advice. You don’t want any old fuel in the system at all like inside the motor. Filter or lines. Like RB said, the boat needs a 150, something with more mid range torque.... like a Honda.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That yr a lot of owners get the updated transom from NR for $2200 done by the factory in Roseburg. If it has the transom fish boxes (live well) is a big plus.
Id pay 38-40 easy if it has them

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
What is the hull size??!!! lots of speculating here on value but dont even know what model it is?! With 115 its either a 18ft or 20ft. All the brackets made in 2006 were the 2nd gen so you wouldnt have to deal with any mods. Unless it was an 05 hull that the carried over. which is doubtful. If it is a 18ft w/bracket the 115hp will be fine, unless you want to overload the boat and play tuna fisherman. With the 20ft narrower bottom seahawk it will do okay with a 115 unless you pack a load. Or it could be a transom mount 20ft seahawk?

You would have to drain/flush the whole fuel systems from the tank onwards. And then do a full blown service on both engines. Best to have a good Yam mechanic do it for you. Dont forget to re-pack the wheel bearings before you move it at speed and budget for 3 new tires! Your rubber fuel hoses will probably all look fine but have evaporated out fuel goo in them so I would change them out. I would first see if you can hand turn the fywheels a bit before getting too excited about anything. Sure it will be fine and a mechanic will know what is the best oil to shoot in the cylinders.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That yr a lot of owners get the updated transom from NR for $2200 done by the factory in Roseburg. If it has the transom fish boxes (live well) is a big plus.
Id pay 38-40 easy if it has them
What do you mean updated transom? Was the factory adding brackets to non bracket boats?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Mine was an '04 - they hadn't gone to the extended hull bracket yet and had welded on a bracket to the transom.

A lot of owners had stress cracks at the transom welds from the weight of the motors on the brackets.

I had 2 x Suzuki 140s on mine and in 5 years didn't have the issue.

In '06 they moved to the extended hull style bracket.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy that boat. If it's been sitting for more than a year or two, plan on some fuel system maintenance (VST, injector cleaning, etc). They are adequate with a 115 on them, especially for the right price.

Like RB said, the boat needs a 150, something with more mid range torque.... like a Honda.
Honda makes a fine outboard, but the BF150 is the smallest displacement 150 on the market, and its lack of mid range torque shows that. The Suzuki 150 makes 173ft-lbs at 4500rpm, the Yamaha 185ft-lb at 4000rpm, the Honda 150 puts out 149ft-lb at 5000rpm. 20-25% less torque at 1000rpm higher is quite a difference.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the hull size??!!! lots of speculating here on value but dont even know what model it is?! With 115 its either a 18ft or 20ft. All the brackets made in 2006 were the 2nd gen so you wouldnt have to deal with any mods. Unless it was an 05 hull that the carried over. which is doubtful. If it is a 18ft w/bracket the 115hp will be fine, unless you want to overload the boat and play tuna fisherman. With the 20ft narrower bottom seahawk it will do okay with a 115 unless you pack a load. Or it could be a transom mount 20ft seahawk?

You would have to drain/flush the whole fuel systems from the tank onwards. And then do a full blown service on both engines. Best to have a good Yam mechanic do it for you. Dont forget to re-pack the wheel bearings before you move it at speed and budget for 3 new tires! Your rubber fuel hoses will probably all look fine but have evaporated out fuel goo in them so I would change them out. I would first see if you can hand turn the fywheels a bit before getting too excited about anything. Sure it will be fine and a mechanic will know what is the best oil to shoot in the cylinders.
Those details are in my post. Thank you for your reply. Good point about tires, flywheel, etc.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking at NADA, whats the difference between a Seahawk RB and an RB/LE?
Thank you

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm also considering a NR Seahawk-style boat, possibly in the summer. I think I'd like a little bigger for crossing the bar, possibly tuna once a year on a good day and my family of 6. I've read a lot about the different manufacturers, sounds like the key is to make sure it has an offshore bracket.

Would love to go for a ride/fish or just stop over to chat with anyone that owns a boat like this. Before I purchase, my wife will definitely want to ride on one at the least, but every guide I've seen runs sleds. I will have a lot to learn of boating on the Columbia, crossing the bar, and maintaining a boat for this area. Located in Ridgefield PM if interested... I need more fishy friends. 😉

·
Registered
97 Posts
The reference to the transom is the way NR built the offshore bracket. In the early years it was welded on. As already mentioned this generated stress cracks but also what hasn’t been mentioned is the porpoising effects that were notorious for that design approach. To fix that they reengineered to have the hull bottom to be fully integrated with the bracket. No more porpoising and virtually no stress cracks. If this year as the full bottom hull design then I would say you must do a full fuel system drain and system check before even turning it over. Beyond that It should be a solid ride barring any other obvious signs of moisture or UV damage from sitting outside that long.

·
Registered
38,073 Posts
Went from a 115 Yamaha on my 19’ Arima to a 150 Honda on a 21’ Arima. Amazing difference. That’s the only real world comparison I have.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Went from a 115 Yamaha on my 19’ Arima to a 150 Honda on a 21’ Arima. Amazing difference. That’s the only real world comparison I have.
That alone is a 40% increase in torque (107 vs 149ft-lb), but then again the Honda 150 has 35% more displacement than the Yamaha 115. The Yamaha F150 has 79% more torque than the F115, with a 60% increase in displacement.

·
Registered
16,951 Posts
. 20' with offshore bracket. 115 Yamaha main (yes small) and 10 horse yamaha kicker. Its been stored outside but he had a full custom waterproof mooring cover made for it and has always had cowling covers on the motors.
I suggest you search on here for all the discussions about the offshore brackets - the issues and upgrades - for that era of Seahawk

·
Registered
736 Posts
They change the bracket to a newer version but wont add fish boxes
I called on a 04 to see if the fish boxes could be added
call NR and they will explain it to you

1 - 20 of 33 Posts