IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a 20 pound striped bass caught in Deep river by a commercial netter. What are they netting and why, anyone know?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I didn't think they were allowed to net anything right now ????? :whazzup:
Bob

·
Registered
287 Posts
If I remember right, the WDFW boat that has been doing some sort of netting on the river got it. I thought I remember seeing it on the Creel Report this week. Here is the post from the WDFW Web Page

Deep River - A 20 pound striped bass was caught in the select area commercial fishery there last week. The catch was confirmed by a WDFW biologist.

[ 04-25-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Fish4Fun ]

·
Registered
784 Posts
Okay, now that my secret is out, here's the picture. Oh yeh, it was 18 pounds, not 20. :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do they catch stippers in the Deep and other streams and bays in the area or is this a rare fish for there?

Strippers never use to be found very often north of the Coos in Oregon. Great game fish. Could they be expanding their territory or did the WA F&G stock them?

Scruffy

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
There was an article a few yrs back about a closely guarded secert about stripers in the W :shrug: E river in Portland. :whazzup:
There's also every once in awhile a story about one being caught in the Columbia.I believe the reports or storys were in the Oregonian ??.I've never seen one caught so it could maybe be a fairy tale. :whazzup: ,you might ask Bill Monroe if its true he knows all :grin: .
Bob

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I hoping to be catching some of those bad boys this weekend. Back east though. in Mass. We flyfish for them, and my buddies are pretty dialed in so I hope the weekend visit includes
some of those beauties. I'll have a report when I get back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
GBS, Looks like I'll be doing the same thing on the Cape over the 4th of July!

I used to catch them all the time in the Chesapeake Bay trolling and chumming - But so far, haven't tried them on a fly yet - I hear it's a kick!

Let us know how ya do.

Tom

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Greenbuttskunk, I can imagine what it is like to catch stripes on a fly rod as I used to fish for them in Lake Mead out of Henderson, Nv. Had some great trips there with fish averaging about 8 lbs. I have a friend down there that has chased them for years in that lake. It's almost close enough to go down occasionally. The fishing is always good for something in Mead.
Good luck and we want to see some shots of those brusers when you get back. Top water and stripers are my favorite.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
As the story goes, back in the early 1900's some body dumped stripers into San Fransisco Bay. Eventually this species found suitable conditions all the way up to the Columbia River. Years back, Oregon even had a commercial fishery for these critters. The most suitable conditions in our neck of the woods for this fish is the Coos Bay estuary and the Smith River ( I think ) even though fairly recently anglers where picking these guys up in the Williamette system. Like Shad, this is an east coast species that found a home out west. They use to be quite a to-do in Oregon ( 60 pounders ) but I think commercial fishing kept their numbers down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts