IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife will be joining me on a bird hunt with her new 20 gauge pump. I was wondering what others recommended in loading and brand for both non-toxic and regular lead loads.

I am thinking 6s or 5s in lead depending on flush and #4 steel other non-toxic ??? Am I on the right track?

BlueWater
:cheers:

· Registered
24,199 Posts
i use 3" 1 1/4oz #5's in lead and 7/8oz #2's kent fast steel for all non toxic areas. the steel patterns real tight so you need to let the birds get out a ways.

· Registered
4,962 Posts
2 3/4 1 oz 6's (prefered) or 5's late in the season. Handloads or Winchester Super X. 3" #2's or 3's in steel. I wouldn't spend the extra $$$$ on 3" in lead. Oh yeah, F/M with the lead, IC/M with the steel. I'd go M/M if I had a second modified choke for the Beretta.

· Registered
3,250 Posts
20ga Hevishot #6 2.75" is almost all I use for pheasant and duck. I resort to #4's late in the season when the plumage is denser and extreme cold robs ballistics. The recoil is neglible with the shorter rounds. The 3" jobs out of a pump will smack her a bit. Try the medium constriction Terror choke. She'll be shooting circles around you.

I don't recommend steel in 20ga since most fast loadings don't exceed a 7/8oz payload, marginal in the 20ga.

For lead, I recommend #5 2.75". I also like Kent Tungsten matrix #5 for pheasant/duck as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.