IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 things I don\'t like about my Alumaweld:

2 things I don't like about my Alumaweld:

1) noise. I think that the 175 SJ is excessively noisy even for a big 2-stroke. I think that it is a design flaw. I have found it very difficult to contact Alumaweld and ask questions. It may be that I haven't figured out how yet. I will combat the noise problem but it shouldn't be my problem.

2) Water over bow. I recently traveled into a pretty good wind chop at (where else) Wind River. I took a lot of water over the bow. Not scary and it drained OK but I wouldn't have wanted to take much more. Maybe I don't know how to do it correctly as I only have 20 or so hours on this boat (but I do have 20+ years at sea so boat handling in general is not a problem). The second trip in the wind chop I got the bow up using power. Were it not for my air-ride seats I'd have gotten pretty well hammered. I read a post about trim tabs and they sound good except on a jet boat. But tell me if I'm wrong.

I have some ideas about the noise but the water over the bow thing has me temporarily stumped.

Words of wisdom pls? :whazzup:

Thanx

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Re: 2 things I don\'t like about my Alumaweld:

Had the same boat... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Noise...mostly just motor, but other SJ boats are quieter than an Intruder.

Water over bow...design flaw, cut your drain holes larger!!

Welcome to Alumaweld, sorry, nothing we can do for you.

Did you get your hat??

TR

[ 05-12-2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: TheRogue ]

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts

I'm on my second Intruder. I'll bet yours is a 10 degree hull. My first one was a 10 and, yeah, the ride can be a little rough. My current one has a 14 degree hull which makes a huge difference in handling choppy water and it seems to float higher in the bow. With the 10 degree hull I learned over time and experience to adjust my speed to use different parts of the bow angle to adjust the ride.

As for noise, inboards capture the noise. In part it's a characteristic of an inboard. If you want real noise, try riding in an inboard V8! I assume you have an insulated "dog house". If not, add insulation. Mercury and others make exhaust mufflers which can also reduce noise, but won't really make any difference in the engine noise, only the exhaust noise.

As far as hearing from Alumaweld. I don't know what dealer you use, but I've found everyone at the dealer where I bought my boats very approachable and helpful. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like some names to contact.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts

I fished the Columbia out of a friends VanWeld sport jet about ten days ago and noticed it was really noisy too.

I thought maybe it was just a SJ thing as my boat has an outboard and seems quieter than the SJ.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

I think you could insert any manufacturers name in place of Alumaweld. Your issues apply to just about any shallow (10-12 degree) vee boat with a sportjet. I feel your pain, but I don't really think you can blame Alumaweld on generic problems like those you describe.

Sportjets are noisy. No doubt. I noticed that during test drives prior to buying our boat. I decided I could deal with it. Thought about adding some insulation under the motor cover, but never got around to it.

The rough ride in the wind chop. Sounds like the gorge with a west wind to me. It doesn't take much west wind to cause a lot of chop up there. A shallow vee boat will hammer you hard in those conditions.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I can answer your question on Trim Tabs--Put um on!!--I've got them on a Custom Weld Storm, What A Difference! :wink:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

The Worm is absolutely correct.

No boat can be in trim under all conceivable scenarios of chop and weight distribution. Every boat that has load variations needs trim tabs, but that has been ignored by aluminum boat manufacturers to keep their costs as low as possible.

Over the years only two manufacturers have had the wisdom to employ trim tabs on their jet boats. JetPace provided them for all their boats as standard equipment, but they were the Rolls Royce of aluminum boats. Now Custom Weld offers them, mainly because the son of one of the former owners of JetPace sells that brand and demanded that Custom Weld offer them. He is "Grasshopper" on this board.

If you don't spend most of your boating hours backing into skinny tailouts where your tabs can get munched, get your boat equipped with trim tabs. You won't believe the difference.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts

As far as the engine noise goes, somebody probably makes quieter mufflers. However, if it is anything like dirt bikes, quieter usually means less top end. Insulating the doghouse should make it a little quieter, but beware that it could make it run hotter.

As far as water over the bow goes, make the scuppers larger. Trim tabs are great. I have them on my Custom Weld Cobra SE. They can make a huge difference in ride quality if there is any chop. Just raise them in the shallow water.

·
Registered
92 Posts

If you want a smooth ride, do what I did, buy a boston whaler. Smoothest ride in the business. Love it! :wink:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanx for all the input.

I'm going to have an upholsterer fit the engine box with a nice 2" pad all around and do some insulating inside where I can that should help the noise as much as I could expect. It should also make things a little safer.

My boat has the 14deg. hull. I might just be being whiney. I definitely need more time on the water!

I will chase down those trim tabs. If you know of a good brand I'd like to know.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

CorkyKing,

Don't feel too bad. I got rid of my 19' North River Sportster for the reasons you mention as problems on the Alumaweld. I don't think buying a similar model from another mfg. would have helped.

The Sportjet was too noisy and smokey for me. Not sure you can do much on the 175 SportJet since it has an underwater exhaust. On the 240 you can add external mufflers from Motion Marine. Might be worth checking with Motion on the 175.

The ride was an endurance test on the Columbia that both the boat and I were losing, stuff was busting out of the dash and I wasn't comfy. Heading into a wind driven chop is test for any boat that doesn't have a deep V which is all jet boats...more V the better the ride but you don't see much

If you were used to a tiller control, the dashboard boats put you forward where it is much bouncier than sitting at the transom with the tiller handle which is much smoother.

The Alumaweld gives you a bit of an upturned bow so I'd venture that the Alumaweld is probably a bit better with the chop spray over the bow than my North River 19'.

Brion

·
Banned
51 Posts

I have an Intruder with the 175 SJ. I ran into the SAME PROBLEM while fishing out of Astoria last year. My top wasnt up and I took a couple of rollers over the windshield. Its not a good feeling to have 50 gallons of salt water washing around in the bottom of your boat. Here is what I did to make me feel better.

1. Cut my scupper holes bigger. WAY too small from the factory. I want the water in the front GONE fast.

2. Replaced the seal on my evaporative fish box hatch so it wont fill full of water quite so fast.

3. Got a 2000 GPH bilge pump

4. Cut slots in the rear access panels for the water in the boat to drain into the bilge compartment. I want this water GONE faster.

5. ALWAYS put my top up in rough water. most of the water that ended up in my boat would have been shed if my top was up.

6. replaced my drawers, cause I pooped in em.

As for the noise? Try a V8!!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts

I have a 19' NR Sportster with the 175 SJ and I love it. 11 degree deadrise.

First off, keep in mind that NO BOAT, regardless of size will be able to run at even moderate throttle levels in the heaviest of seas. If you are bouncing things off your dash... SLOW DOWN!!!
:wink: As a general guideline, in average wind chop I am usually just over cruising speed or around 22 mph. If that is too bumpy, I'll back off a little. If you are taking a lot of water over your bow in 2-3' wind chop, you are going too fast.

In the estuary for sturgies or fall nooks, when the west wind howls and the wind chop starts pumping during the outgoing tide, I will be running at around 8-13 mph. That is enough throttle to lift the bow and keep the water from coming over the bow. It will splash out and blow back in spray form, but no serious amounts of water.

I recently saw an ad in the back of Fishing and Hunting "Lies" (aka News), that showed someone is manufacturing a hydraulic trim set for the trim tab on the bottom of the SJ. (It basically replaces the two bolts that mount between the trim plate and the pump housing.) :wink: WAY COOL!!! :dance: If I can get some money together I would buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

One other thing you can do is get a snap on bow cover, I have one for my boat and when it gets a little rough I just throw it on, then the water just rolls right off.

Scott

·
Registered
909 Posts

I have a 22 foot alumaweld formula vee with an 18 degree hull and 200 merc outboard prop. It is a little noisy but not bad. As far as water the only time I got my window wet was in 4 foot waves and headed into the wind. I also had a bow cover made just incase. I would suspect your pitch on your hull is why your getting water over the bow.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Sportjets Do Vibrate! The insulation will help. V-8 are quieter if fitted with KLS Marine Mufflers. And even more so with a turned down transom exhaust like in the Custom Welds and some of the other Mfgs.
Your Right it is scary to take water into the bilge especially salt water into an inboard! But not all boats are the same. Like in the Alumawelds. A wave over the bow in a striker. Its a 18" deep 25+ cubic ft area. Now its a race between the edges of the wooden decking, the walk through windshield, and the 1/2 inch drain holes to see where the water ends up. I can tell you who loses. In the Intruder, the boat has more combing and less volume to take on water with. As well as a welded watertight deck, with exception of big lid. And a welded windshield that doesnt allow water through(too bad). Yet if you compare that to a maker like Custom Weld who is used to making big water boats. They have an 8" deep step deck with more combing and much less area to take on water. A welded watertight windshield. 2" Diameter drian holes. The windshields are higher than most makers. If they have bow hatches they all drain thru the hull making for a watertight bow. Combine that with a Rigid removable top that you can trailer on the freeway and you have a boat that stays pretty dry!!
As for water over the bow goes that is a number of things. A speed for every water condition for certain. I used to sell Alumawelds and do the demos and deliveries. Their hulls have a 10 or 14 vee transom and a long planing surface to a transition of 32 degrees for about 4' of the bow. This design makes for a boat that sits a little higher in the water and has the ability to plane large loads. Yet the short transition makes it hit a little hand in big chop. In small chop your boat would run best flat out. Keeping the bow down to use the transition. Or with trim tabs to accomplish that at any speed.(I would recommend Bennet Sport tabs, Or the Jet trim system). But at a certain level of chop any boat will have to back out of the throttle enough to keep the bow up as high as possible. One of the things you can consider when buying a new boat is not all boats are the same in the transition.
Alumaweld 32 degree transition About 4' long
Boulton 34 degree transition about 4' long
Duckworth 32 4
Woolridge 32 4
Thunderjet 32 4
North River 22 6
Custom Weld 40 6
Rough numbers guys but pretty close.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
8,973 Posts

I have a two inch pad on my doghouse, and it has never been wet inside. It was a factory option from Custom Weld. So, it is possible to make a pad that won't be soaked.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts