IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Idyho I had a source for a good clean burning oil for my snowmobiles. BG? or a name like that. I'm looking for something similar for my outboards, 90 HP Johnson VRO and 8 HP Johnson premix. Any ideas? :whazzup:

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I use Amsoil in my Waverunner, Quicksilver for my Merc. You can't beat synthetics for clean. Amsoil is biodegradable as well.
I scored some of the Costco Quicksilver the other day. Good deal, and it's the first time I've seen it at Costco in town. The Warrenton Costco usually has it.

[ 05-01-2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you are going to get the Quicksilver from Costco you'd better get it before WE :wink: sell through it all. Its a great deal but once folks figure out we have it.....it doesnt last long :smile:

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I had my 2-strokes I used Cabela's semi synthetic oil and cut way down on the exhaust smoke.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Hurry up guys its running low at the N.E. Port Costco since I bought 18 gals. I went through 12 gals last year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One cool thing about synthetic's like "AmsOil" is you can run your engine much leaner making more H.P. and running cleaner!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'll check the upcoming supply of Quicksilver at Costco and report back since I am a manager there.It's the best buy (even better than some bulk prices) on oil around.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have one one of the most expensive two stroke outboards made (Yamaha 250 Saltwater series)and I use the cheapest 2 stroke oil I can find :shocked: I get it at West Marine (their brand) for $6.99 a gallon. I've got over 100 hours on the motor and never had a problem with this stuff. Every outboard repair guy I've ever talked to said as long as it says TCW-3 on the jug, it's all pretty much the same. I would agree however that the synthetics are probably better, but I go through about 20 gallons a year and don't want to pay that much for burning oil.

[ 05-02-2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys should know that Killer probably only buys inexpensive oil to show his wife how cheap his habits are.
I think he has more Calcuttas on his rod rack than GI Joes.
Being an ex snowmobiler I'm tired of blue smoke and I'm married to a tree hugger so I'm interested in an oil that burns clean. I'll try your suggestions.
Once again ifish came through. :bowdown:
By the way where to catch a springer this weekend?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Bill - I only have lots of Calcutta's so they don't get lonely while I'm gone - it's kind of like kwikfish - they like to party it up with each other.

I must say that the stuff I buy kills every mosquito in the harbor when I fire the motor up, but I kind of like the smell and my true goal is to someday gather up all the folks who I've taken fishing and file a class-action lawsuit for "Smoky-motor lung". I think there will be several Mercury owners who can join in as well. :sick:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have a 8hp merc and usually wear a Gas Mask while trolling. :tongue: I think I am either going to mix my gas leaner but will probably try synthetic oil instead.

My 115 merc doesn't somke near as much as my 8 and I have been running quick silver in that motor.

Question: How do you know if your oil injected motor (my 115hp merc) is using enough oil?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good comeback. You could lend me a couple and I promise to keep them together.
My kid is thrilled with the reel after his intial suprise at the box it came in. He's wanted one for years. He only had to wait till he turned 30 and of course, the price came down.
Now about those fish.
We're flexible and planning on camping on the boat tonite for the first time. Initially we were thinking of just motoring over to Sand Island and then hitting it first thing in the AM. But maybe down around Astoria would be better? Any thoughts? :whazzup:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Bill - I wish I could help you there. I've only had 2 fish in the last 2 weeks and I've been skunked twice. During this same 2 week period last year we put 13 in the boat. My favorite place to spend the nite on the boat is in the Multnomah channel in one of my favorite spots (which happens to be out of tug boat range). I think if I were you I'd anchor up off Bachelor Island (about 3 miles upriver from St. Helens on the Washington side of the river) in some less than 20 foot water so the barges can't get to you. That would be as good a place as any to be at daylight tomorrow - and if you get out tonight and see some fish being cought, you can anchor up in the slot before everyone gets there in the morning.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Killer:
I was planning on waiting at the bottom of the hill on 30 and following you but it sounds like you don't need anyone else around with bad vibes. Is there sheltered water at Batchelor?
The last time I slept on a boat every change in the sound of the water on the hull woke me up. As it turns out, for good reason both times. :shocked:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Here's a weird report. I have a 93' 150hp Evinrude with a jet. The motor is a fuel/oil hog so I always used cheap stuff and it ran great. A couple years ago my conscience got the best of me and I started using Penzoil semi-synthetic oil. Not long after that, I noticed I was losing "r's" at high end. I never associated it with the oil though. I though oil is oil, right! Well after a couple of years of being unhappy, and several trips to the local motor dude (very good mechanic) we tried different plugs, idle settings, flywheel/timing changes and it really never changed the problem. The average guy wouldn't of noticed it but I know my boat. Well, after the last trip to the doctor in February, we were all stumped. It wasn't the electronic "brain" either! So the owner of the shop who is an oldtime "oil-head " (2-stroke racer for 35 years) asked what oil I was running and I told him. He said some motors were designed to run natural oil only, not synthetic (very slippery?) and maybe I should try it. I thought, "no damnit, oil is oil!" I went crabbing the next weekend and I ran low on oil so I had a quart of standard Castrol outbaord oil in the boat for emergencies. So I poured it in the resevoir while at the take out. The next day she ran GREAT!!!!! I was sure it wasn't the oil, probably the 4 foot chop that I pounded in on, and it wiggled some carb adjustement, but it has continued to run excellent (while "knocking on wood", I don't want to jinx it). SO here's one for the weird file. I don't know, but I'll keep using straight 2-stroke now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts