IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 90HP Johnson Motor powering my 1988 Arima that I bought awhile back and the oil reservoir is getting low. Any suggestions on a good oil to use.

Thanks

mtpar :shrug:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I'm kinda funny about my 2-strokes. I like to stick to the same oil the motor was broke in on.
But if you don't know what was in it, any TCW-3 oil will suffice. Costco has Quicksilver (Merc)oil for $11.79 a gallon. I've used that since 1987 without a problem.
If you switch to a synthetic, you might want to purge the old oil out of the system first. Some petroleum based oil isn't compatible with it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have always used pennsoil with out any problems. You can get a gallon at GI Joes for around 8 or 9 dollars.

·
Ray S.
900 Posts
Walmart has their brand for less than 6 bucks a gallon. I have used it for 6 or 7 years, with no problemos....
GOOD LUCK
Ray

·
Registered
400 Posts
one factor that should not be overlooked there is hard carbon oil and low carbon oil
make sure it has tw3 one the container.
the other is for engines that run hot- eg chain saws. and air cooled engines

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
okay, i'm a little confused. there's an oil reservoir i'm supposed to be keeping track of too? granted, all i've got is a drift boat with a 4hp, so maybe it's just a "big engine" thing?

·
Registered
266 Posts
ampersat,

This is for 2 stroke engines that inject the oil depending on the RPM's. With one of these guys you don't mix the oil directly in your fuel tank.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lubrimatic from Walmart....same oil is in name band jugs for twice the money. Its covered by maufacturers warranty and has not givven me or friends any problems for years. Russ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts