IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14,716 Posts
Re: 2 or 4 stroke for 25\' open sled

I have heard of problems with the 4 strokes regarding jet performance. If it is a prop only deal, the 4 cycle engine is great. For jet applications, I would reccomend you let someone else do the impeller research and development. 2 stroke jets are best technology as of now. Maybe this will improve in a year or so.

My 2 cents.

Mark and the dog.

· Registered
14,716 Posts

There are several guides who started running 4 strokes in the last year or two. Maybe contacting them for an opinion could lead you in the correct direction.

Mark and the dog.

· Registered
14,716 Posts

You may or may not need a bay kit. It depends on transom height and how long the motor shaft is.

For what it is worth,

Our sled has a plate, Yamaha with a 25" shaft( XL) and it still needs a bay kit. Our transom is 27 1/2".

We mostly fish the bigger waters where a pump is not a necessary item.

During winter steelie season, it will wear the pump ( boondogging). For the rest of the year, the prop will be bolted on.

You may want to look into a 32" transom. Unless I am missing something, if you have to get the bay kit with the shorter 27 1/2"er, might as well see is ya can have some more freeboard.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.