IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 or 4 stroke for 25\' open sled

In time I considering either a NR or a AW 25' open sled. I'm considering the weight factor of the 4 and I know about the exhaust,oil ect of the 2, but what my thinking is that the 4 stroke might be too heavy to boondogle and backbounce smoothly and evenly. I have considered having them move the fuel tank and batteries foward but is this enough to make the boat sit level with the 4 ? Also,I would want to run a pump and a prop and switch them out at different parts of the year. Please feel free to give all the advice you can regarding engine size as well. I respect the opinions of the Ole'Salts here :wink: Thanks

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Re: 2 or 4 stroke for 25\' open sled

I have heard of problems with the 4 strokes regarding jet performance. If it is a prop only deal, the 4 cycle engine is great. For jet applications, I would reccomend you let someone else do the impeller research and development. 2 stroke jets are best technology as of now. Maybe this will improve in a year or so.

My 2 cents.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts

I don't think weight or balance would be much of a factor with a 25' sled. That's a lot of hull. I'm assuming it doesn't have a lot of deadrise, probably less than 10 degrees.
Like Flatfish, I'd want the 2-stroke for jet applications. Not to mention there's a $3K difference between a 225 4-stroke Merc and a 250 2-stroke. That $3K would cover the cost of the jackplate you'd need to switch from pump to prop easily.
I'd run the biggest, baddest Merc or Yamahammer I could find.
Just my .02. There's a lot of 4-stroke fanatics here, and I'm sure they'll be along shortly. :wink:

[ 09-20-2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts

Shallowest draft would be a SportJet, but no prop alternative. What are you gonna do with the TJ?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thumper I had a guy take a real hard look at it yesterday. He tried to low ball me and even asked if I would be willing to have him take over payments :hoboy: Well that didn't go far. Just trying to take advantage of my work status. Well in time, after things get better I would like to start guiding. It's the working for one's self thing that I like. But this is in the distant future.

[ 09-20-2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Seefood Man ]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

4-stroke pumps are awesome. Mileage and very quite. Excellent performance.

·
Registered
855 Posts

For whts it's worth.
Think about going with the 23ft pro-vee instead of the 25ft.
I did and couldn't be happier. I choose the 200hp merc. far better fuel ecomomy then the 250 and with the extra cost of the 225 over the 200 you get very little extra ummp.
Also keep in mind that the new pump has a stainless steel impellor and more pitch then the old pumps. This develops more pressure so the boat performs " mo better"
I stepped up from a 21ft too the 23 this time after looking very hard at both the 24ft NR scout. at 12 degree V this is too much to run a pump effectively. The Alumaweld is 10 degree. Maximum vee that "Outboard jet manuf. suggest,
Anyway I'am very happy with the new boat. I've had it since June and it's fins and tails above the old sled.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts

There are several guides who started running 4 strokes in the last year or two. Maybe contacting them for an opinion could lead you in the correct direction.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Mark is correct, ifish guides Clancy and Ron Holt
have both been running Merc 225 4 strokes on 25' Super vee's this year.

The 50 days this summer I fished the cowlitz around them, their 25's moved pretty well with the big 4 strokes......the super pump sure helps.

Clancy is a nice guy, willing to help when ask...... email him and ask what he thinks. :cheers:

·
Registered
428 Posts

I have a NR 24' scout with a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke with a prop. North River installed it with a bay kit because I wanted the taller transom. I was told with the bay kit I could run a pump if I wanted to. With me and two other guys (660 lbs.) two children and an 85 lb. German Shorthair and more junk than I could list the boat runs fast planes quickly and sits flat when not under power. My last boat was a NR with a pump and I would assume this boat with a pump would handle just the same with a pump the only diference would be the power loss associated with a pump.The four stroke is quiet and revs quickly so far I am very happy. I have not measured but I think the boat sets high in the water so side drifting should be no problem with a pump just guessing the boat would drift through a foot or so of water.
Randy

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks folks for all the advice :wink: The other questions that I have is, do you switch from the pump to the prop in different seasons? I know I would need a jack plate in doing this. but do you run a jack plate with the bay kit? Thanks in advance :smile:

[ 09-22-2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Seefood Man ]

·
Registered
428 Posts

From what I understood (I was not listening very closely kinda fired up about the new boat), with the bay kit you just remove the prop lower unit and install the pump. I'm not sure about this mabe some more experienced guys can comment.
Randy

·
Registered
13,857 Posts

You may or may not need a bay kit. It depends on transom height and how long the motor shaft is.

For what it is worth,

Our sled has a plate, Yamaha with a 25" shaft( XL) and it still needs a bay kit. Our transom is 27 1/2".

We mostly fish the bigger waters where a pump is not a necessary item.

During winter steelie season, it will wear the pump ( boondogging). For the rest of the year, the prop will be bolted on.

You may want to look into a 32" transom. Unless I am missing something, if you have to get the bay kit with the shorter 27 1/2"er, might as well see is ya can have some more freeboard.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

If you want to run both pump and prop on an outboard without changing the motor mount, you have to have a Bay Kit. A Bay Kit is a 5" shaft extension for the motor. So...

26" Transom: 20" Motor (Long Shaft) + Pump or 20" Motor, +Bay Kit+Lower Unit.

31" Transom: 25" Motor (Extra Long Shaft)+ Pump or 25" Motor+Bay Kit+Lower Unit.

Jack Plates can be used in leiu of Bay Kits to adjust actual motor height instead of adjusting shaft length.

12-degree will run a pump just as well as a 10-degree (ask Dave McCann, Grant Putnam, or Jack Smith---all run 12-degree boats on the lower Deschutes)

Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts