IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were fishing Nehalem Bay today and two boats flipped over at the jaws in separate instances. I don’t know the stories behind what happened so I don’t want to draw any conclusions but with some hot reports I know a lot of people will be heading down to troll in the costal bays.

Here is a picture that we took of where this guy was trolling.

As you can see from the picture he was too near the breakers on the North Jetty. He got turned a little sideways and flipped his boat in the surf. It did not look like he was wearing a lifejacket, but I am not sure. He ended up making it to shore and looked to be ok.

About an hour later another guy by himself got over neat the North Jetty. The tide was slack and the bar had about 5-6ft swells. It is easy to get lulled to sleep then all of a sudden you can take a few breakers. Here are some pics of the action.

The guy was rescued but it was very iffy for a while. The boat in to help him could not pull him in then 3 huge waves headed in and the rescuing boat almost flipped… he had to climb straight up them and jump them. I don’t know how the dude kept it afloat but it was some great boat work. They ended up pulling the man out.

The second boat you see in the pic (one with windshield) charged in there after the first rescuing boat had the guy out of the water. He almost hit the rescuing boat and the flipped boat. If you get in this position you should standby to act incase the first boat has to pull out but don’t charge in if the situation is under control. Often times it can lead to worse accidents!

Even small waters like Nehalem can be deadly if you don’t know what you are doing. If you have never fished water like this then take someone on your boat that has, or go with someone in their boat. Places like this and Astoria are not places for first timers without experience. For those of you that have been on this board for a while you know I am talking from experience here!

Don’t think that if you have a big boat you will be ok. The first boat was probably on 14 or 15 feet but the second was a good 17 to 19 feet. Be careful!

Please wear your lifejackets. The first guy was out of the water fast on his own and he was lucky. If the second guy was not wearing a lifevest I am sure he would have died. It took about 5 minutes to get him out of the water and was in heavy surf and breakers. Everytime I go out there I have put mine on. Do the same thing. If you think a lifevest is too uncomfortable go splurge and buy an inflatable one like I have. You hardly know it is on and if you ever do have an accident it is the best $100 you ever spent!

Please, please know the water you are fishing. Both of these guys were way out of position on their troll. Maybe they had engine trouble but if they were in that area trolling it is bad news. We also witnessed 3 other close calls from people that were too far over.

This is fast current, close combat trolling quarters. You have to know what to do when the person next to you gets a fish, when someone else in your boat gets a fish or if you get a fish. Where are you going to escape to? What if the fish runs? Can I hover where I am? Is the net ready? If I take my had off the tiller to net a fish will we get sideways and get flipped over? If you think you cant handle this stuff you are probably right. I am very lucky to have guys that have done this sort of thing before that I am learning a lot from.

Take the time to learn the water you are going to fish or it could be your last time out!

Boat safe and take care this weekend!

[ 08-15-2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

G

·
Man, STAY OFF that North side you guys!!! Thanks for the heads up to all who do not know or need to see it again. :hoboy:

·
Registered
993 Posts
hay carrot roots you guys be careful i need someone to argue with and correct my spelling man those guys with the open sled have a set those boats can take a 1000 gallons with one wave at least everybody is ok

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The North Side is Very Dangourous stay aways from it even if it looks flat I have seen too many people get into trouble over there along with the South Side too. If you are new to trolling the Jaws at Nehalem or any other jetty area like 5 cents said it is very close Combat style trolling and you must be ready to act quick for a variety of differant reason's. If you are planning to take a first trip to Nehalem and are new to boating or to fishing in a close combat situation you may want to veture out with someone with the experience and learn the ropes first. Also you may go troll wheeler wich in my opinion is just as good as water as the Jaws and less stressfull you can even veture up further towards the trailer park. you will still get plenty of boat traffic but not the close combat situation acompanied bye hard tide pulls like at the jaws. Good luck be safe and were the PFD...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It was pretty scary seeing two boats go down today. That north jetty is something else.

Keep on your toes out there unless you like seeing your boat in this position. These pictures aren't pretty but we all can learn from them, I know I will!

Bobby

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It cannot be said enough. If you are not experienced with this type of fishery take someone along who is. If you are experienced don’t take your knowledge for granted. The older gentlemen had probably been fishing here for years. Things can happen real fast with ripping current and incoming surf. Be aware of your surroundings and be safe. NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE…………..Chris

PS. Get Bent it is HEY not HAY :tongue:

[ 08-15-2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Registered
461 Posts
Rainrshine and I trolled Wheeler all morning and pulled up to the bar about the time you guys left. Missed the excitement, but it was amazing watching people play fish over into the north breakers. you could read their expressions when they finally realized where they ended up..... Paranoia does have it's benefits, we stayed clear and still got a couple....

SureSet

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
i wasnt fishing there today but about 10 years ago i saw pretty much the same thing.....2 boats went down getting to close to the north jetty......these guys are correct the north side is no mans land....1 boat i saw go down was a little smoker craft type.....but the 2nd was a big boat probably 25' or better

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I too was there. Didnt see the first one, but the second was behind me and slightly North a little as I was just out side the tips of the jetties. We hooked a fish just a few seconds before it capsized. Felt a pretty good swell as we were reeling in the rods, all the while watching the fish, etc., looked up and see the hull of the blue boat upside down. He was about 70 feet behind me, but in a little closer to the jettie. It really happened fast. Fortunately, as I understand it the 83 year old guy is safe. Hope I am out there at 83!!!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The Black rocket wasn't there, but had left Garibaldi and heard the CG call out from the Tuna beds. But we were too far to assist.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw the guys going out near the North jetty from my boat, but I was too far away to see what was happening. It looked like they were right in the breakers. I clung to the South jetty and left early.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I hope that when I flip my boat Shane isn't there to take pictures and post them on the net! :grin: Cool pics, Shane - and another good reminder for folks to wear their pfd's and watch out for the surf.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Seems like Bobby is around during an awful lot of these boating accidents...makes you go Hmmmmm.

Good message guys.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Another boat went down yesterday just outside of Nehalem at the entrance bouy. I was there for all three of these mishaps and everyone of them was shear lack of brains. What makes a man look at a wall of white water and say to himself, "no problem, my little boat can take that on."

I personally had experiences with the first two that went down. I watched the first one bounce off of two moored boats(Wheeler Marina) and was heading straight towards mine when he finally hit reverse.

The second guy apparently couldn't see well or something because while trolling at the jaws he ran up on my so hard I had to get out of the way or be hit. He gives me a nice glare as he goes by and precedes to hit another boat that didn't see him coming.

Neither of these cases were of people losing concentration and finding themselves near the N. Jetty. Both decided that trolling in the breaking surf was a good idea.

The only thing that I had to do with the third boat that went down is that I was the first to spot it so I called in the Coast Guard.

Three guys took their 15 foot boat into the ocean with the thought that the 10 foot tall breakers were passable. The sheriff told me that the first breaker killed their motor and knocked their gear into the water but left them upright.(That's when I called 911, I saw an upright boat but stuff was floating everywhere) The next big wave turned them over but they were able to hang on until a boat with only a driver could pick them up.

They told the sheriff that the day before they caught fish around the bouy and wanted to try it again.

Sorry about my lack of symathy but it is very stessful watching people so close to death. I like my adrenalin to come from catching a big fish. Not watching people swim in the ocean. It is a miracle that three boats went down and no body died.

On the positive side. All 5 guys involve in the three crashes were wereing PFD's.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
WOW THAT STUFF IS SCARY. :shocked: IM GETTING READY TO BUY A BOAT BUT I WONT BE THAT STUPID WITH IT.ID LIKE TO SAY TO THE PEOPLE WHO HELPED THESE GUYS THANK YOU. :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts