IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most rivers I've fished have seen major loss of 4 year fish. They are almost non exsistant. Do other see this as well? Very few 30-40 pound fish.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We noticed that last year. but this year has been good to us, 3 in the upper 30 tillimook tide waters. hope fully that continues for us and everyone else.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
This fall on the coast, I've caught these (in pounds):

The 20-35 pound fish are few and far between, but I've caught some hogs and some small ones.

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you fish rivers that have hachery runs they are not affected as much. The rivers I'm talking about are non hachery rivers.

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Yip, click here!

I still don't get Scott's reply that he doesn't think that it is related.
I can't see how it isn't, at all.

We have nearly NO fish in the Kilchis. :depressed:

I'm bummed.
Jen

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Very few 30-40 pound fish.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Lund,

Those would be 5 year old fish. 4 year olds would be more in the 20# class with most of them probably being low to mid 20's.

I read Amerman's post via Jen's URL and I don't agree with him on that flood matter.

Anytime you have a big flood like the February flood of '96 or Thanksgiving flood of '99 it is bad news.
The chinook fisheries definitely suffered from the ’96 flood and the coastal wild coho (’94 smolts & ’95 eggs) were devastated (take a look at the graphs).

The Thanksgiving flood hammered the rivers from the Siletz River north. The rivers to the south escaped the onslaught and are fairing real well this year for chinook fishing.

Hatcheries probably give some relief in the advent of a flood because the eggs and/or adults are in the protective hatchery environment instead of the flooded rivers. But at the same time, I believe hatcheries are a hindrance to the wild fish populations.
Tillamook’s chinook catches are only comprised of 15% hatchery chinook and I believe they are not needed there or the Nestucca and it is a big waste of money that could be better used.
If the Tillamook fishery is comprised of 85% wild chinook and they are adversely effected by the flood of ’99, the small 15% hatchery part of the run is not going to be much relief.

If you want good chinook fishing it might be a good idea to fish some of the wild rivers south of the areas effected by the Thanksgiving flood of ’99 which would be the Yaquina River on south.

Dan

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
Just curious, but does anyone remember the Christmas flood of "62" Or was it "64"? :shrug: :shrug: And the effects on the Salmon/steelhead runs? I wasn`t fishing for them yet, but I remember the floods being every bit as bad as the "96" one. Fishft. :hoboy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts