IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replace the drive shaft, boot, and joint on a 1992 Camry? Any words of advise or encouragement? I have looked at my Haynes Repair Manual and it does not seem to be that difficult. Just thought I would check in with the board to gain any information before I start the project. I will take before and after pictures if that would interest anyone. LOL
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Make it easy on yourself and go to baxter auto parts or shucks and get a remanufactured drive shaft for less than $100.00 and return the core for a refund.

Easy job and should take you about 1.5 to 2 hours. Jack up car and support with stands. Remove wheel. Remove the two big bolts that hold the knuckle to the strut and remove the castle nut that hold the tierod end to the knuckle. Swing knuckle out and off of the drive shaft spline.

Most drive shafts have a pressure ring that holds them into the tranys. Take a look at your remand shaft to see what I am talking about. Two ways to pop the shaft out of the tranny. One is to use a slide hammer with a hook behind the inner joint cup or you can pry it out with a breaker bar. I like the slide hammer because it is fast and you loose no skin off your knuckles that way.:pray:

Then simply pop the new axle back in and reverse the steps. Darn easy change over.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Catch and Eat pretty well nailed it for you.They are pretty easy.

Another option is to find a place that offers specials on cv axle replacements.Ive seen it advertised as low as $184 parts included.For that price it aint hardly worth getting your hands greasy.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I use Oregon Drive Axle in Tigard. Top notch people. Most of the time new rebuilds on the shelf. If you want their # send me a pm. Good luck on your adventure.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you work on cars at all, it is a very easy job. If you are replacing the whole axle (which I would)sometimes even a good pull on the axle and it will come out without a slid hammer or crowbar. If you only replace the leaky boot, dirt has already got in there and will tear up your joint eventually.

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Or you could go to Discount Import Parts and buy a brand new axle for $79.00 with no core (the whole thing is brand new)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advise and encouragement. I am going to tackle the project Saturday morning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Call me @ Discount Import Parts (I work there part time) today, I will give you and ifisher discount...

Chris
503-659-7444

1 - 8 of 8 Posts