IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
19\' Super Vee LS / 115/80 Merc Performance?

I think I've decided this is what I'm going to buy. I'm going to get the 10deg full vee bottom,and run a Merc 80 Jet. I was advised by many of you to get as much HP as the boat will take and the 115/80 is it. Any idea how fast she'll run with me and two guys in it? How fast out of the hole?

Thanks again.

[ 06-30-2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: ICHTHYDEMON ]

3,492 Posts
Re: 19\' Super Vee LS / 115/80 Merc Performance?

I have a 20ft Super V LT with a 6 degree bottom and a 200 Merc on it, I can't imagine any less horse power. I can get about 40 MPH out of it, nice hole shot, but definitely not to much power. My friend has your same boat with a 150 Yamaha on it, and after riding in mine he definitely thinks his needs more power, good luck and very nice boat!

·
Registered
480 Posts

I have a 19' Stryker 10 degree with the 225 HP V6 jet - Smooth water, just me the fishing gear and 38 gallons of gas = top speed of 46. Me, a buddy, gear, gas and running all out = 42. Running all out though really sucks the fuel down. Easy cruising speed is 38-40.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I have a 21' Super Vee Pro with a 225Hp, to include the high vol pump, the hole shot is ok, not impressive. What was impressive was my older 22' Flat Bottom with the 200Hp on it, that baby got up out of the hole...such is life...

But get the most HP you can.....

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

My good friend has a 17 foot Alumaweld VS with the 115/80 merc Jet. It is a pig getting out of the hole. He personally wishes he at least had a 150 hp jet. That is with a 17 footer. If you are going to run a 19 foot with a jet. I would say at least 175 hp jet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

I have the 15ft SV 10' w/ a Merc 50 with a 15" prop, the hole shot is much better with the stock 13" prop but I lose about 9 mph down from 46 mph.
50 hp is the largest prop motor I can put on it. I had the same motor on a 15ft. Smokercraft Kingfisher and top end was about 42 mph, the Alumaweld weighs hundreds more but the hull design is so much better, hence the better performance at the top end speed. Maybe it was a few hundred rivets and the water it was carrying from the leaks that reduced the speed.
Follow the words of wisdom- get the largest motor you can allowably put on the boat. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I have a 21' sv pro W/ 200 hp merc and she is slow out of the hole. One thing you must consider is 40 gal of fuel, a few overweight beer buddies and all the junk they can stick in there lunch box. You dont want to re-power this boat after the fact it just plain cost too much. It seems like you are planing on using her like a sled and some times it's important to get on plain ASAP. Listen to the guys here that run in shallow water because they know and more importantly I dont think the trade in value on a 6 month old 80 hp merc is very good.

good luck and have fun with her.

·
Registered
168 Posts

I have an Alumaweld 18` super vee lt with a Yamaha 115 jet . With 2 people hole shot good cruising speed about 30 M.P.H. 4 grand R.P.M. I have considered a 150 or maybe a 200 hp. Not real sure about the extra weight of the larger motors will do to the balance . It has an awesome drift now would not want to change it.On a good day`s fishing it will burn between 8 & 10 gals. of gas. Speed is not all that important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts