IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Crestliner XF 189 on the way, 19' aluminum bass boat mod V, 10* deadrise, dry weight is 1300 lbs plus 3 batteries, trolling motor, 2 people at most, tackle. 20" transom.

It is coming with the Mercury 115/80 jet on it, but i have been thinking about taking it off before starting it and getting a 150 with a pump installed.

I am not looking into doing tournaments or anything, just fish the Willamette a lot down in the newberg/salem/independence stretch so thats the main reason for the pump.

For something like this will the 115/80 suffice? Or is the 7-8k worth it to take off the 115/80 and put on the 150?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was down in Salem in Dec/Jan for duck hunting season with river at 15-17ft. That current is ripping. I was just fine in my 18' Lowe Roughneck with my 60hp prop. My boat specs not too different from your boat. I assume you will be fishing with the river below 10ft with much less current. I think you will be fine with a 115hp jet. If you had a 20ft windshield boat then I would say go with the 150hp if you can afford it. Seems like overkill for your boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feedback. Yes there are some pretty low spots up near keizer and salem that I dont feel comfortable getting across with my prop boat during the summer time.

I looked at the Roughneck as well. What kind of mph are you seeing on that boat with the 60hp prop? I am sure yours is much lighter. Stevens Marina said I should see low, maybe mid 30's with the 115 jet. I guess I am more concerned about getting on plane quick rather than top speed.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Yes there are some pretty low spots up near keizer and salem that I dont feel comfortable getting across with my prop boat during the summer time.

I looked at the Roughneck as well. What kind of mph are you seeing on that boat with the 60hp prop? I am sure yours is much lighter. Stevens Marina said I should see low, maybe mid 30's with the 115 jet. I guess I am more concerned about getting on plane quick rather than top speed.
My dealer recommended a 4 blade prop with the 60hp. It's gets on plane quick. I have three batteries, 55lbs trolling motor on the stern. Even with bags of decoys, shotguns, 2 dogs, 1 buddy, a boat blind I get 32-33mph going down river. Maybe 28-29 mph going up river. I get 30mph no problem on a lake. Prop decision is important as well if you go that route. My hull is 990lbs dry. Outboard is 250lbs. 19 gallon fuel tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, with that info I feel confident with the 115. This hull is 1200 dry. I too will have 3 batteries total. No Talons/Power Poles. The trolling motor is a Terrova so a little lighter than the usual Ultrex/Fortrex.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts