IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16\' boat @ bouy10, do I dare?

I am planning a trip to bouy 10 for next month. Asked my dad if he would like to go. NO WAY was his reply.
So the question is, am I nuts? Ive been there probably 12 times, but never in my boat. I have also never been out there when it turns bad. I am confident in my boating skills, but not over confident. I will take all precautions including pfd's, an eye on the tides, and a very close eye on the weather. Ive seen people out there in smaller boats, but I dont want to be one of "those people". My boat is a 16' smokercraft osprey with a 60hp, and a 5hp kicker.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
Re: 16\' boat @ bouy10, do I dare?

Not unless you plan on meeting your maker a little sooner rather than a little later. If you have never seen bad, you have no idea what it can be like on the Columbia. I've seen it bad enough that 25+ footers had a hard time right outside the Hammond boat Basin. Do those that love you a huge favor and don't do it.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts

I go out every year in my 16' boat.

I have never taken it very close to B-10.

Be aware of wind and tide, and the little voice that says "uh-oh."

I figure if I sink, I'll just step on to the next boat over. I guess I should try to bring a rod and some bait, or a couple beverages or something ... :smile:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

I have a 16' boat and I only go out to buoy #14. On a beautiful day you can make it, but I have seen beautiful days turn rough a scary. If you wait just a little longer on the tide the riff will be at 14 and you can catch just as many fish there as you can @ #10. Plus you don't have to fight the crowds and the combat fishing technics of other inadequate fisherman.

Last year my fishing partner had his GL3 broken by some goof-ball who had a guide sticker on his boat, and he supposadly was guiding. :mad: Everyboady on the river had a run in with him and we were told to steer clear of him. But he found us.

You don't want to fish the buoy line anyway. We have caught more fish around the bridge during an outgoing tide.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the advice fin chaser. That was my next question.
Besides, Ive only made 4 payments on the boat so far.
I assumed Id be ok if I was careful, but as they say assumtion is the mother of all fat toads.

[ 07-15-2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Yes froggy there are times when its real nasty out there, but common sense is the key. I use to take my 14' gregor out all the time and even made many trips out accross the bar. Never had any troubles, always kept a close eye out. As years went by I found much better places to fish then down at B10, i have many honey holes that would always produce fish and not have to deal with all the traffic in the lower river. Good luck. :dance:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

The conditions are a lot more important than just saying which bouy is safe to go to. Tide direction, runoff amount, wind speed and direction and height/direction of ocean swell (yes it can come way up the river if it's the right direction).
On an outgoing tide with small Ocean swell the area between 12 and 14 can be much worse than B10 where the mouth opens up.
The area up under the bridge clear at Astoria can be butt ugly on an outgoing and a good stiff upriver wind.
On the other hand there are days when 13-15 footers can go way outside (and they do). You gotta know the conditions before you can ask "is it safe". That applies anywhere, not just the CR.
PS- I've seen 4 foot white caps, the dock break in half and 4 boats get lost/sunk at Detroit Res in April. Is that a "safe" place for a 16 footer?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

I took fisherlady out on her 11 birthday some 16 years ago and we have been out there ever year scens, and her grandfather never let me know the end to this tom fullery, but she and I love to fish, I dont know to many dads that go to the ends of what ever to fish with there daughter, BUT IF YOU GO OUT AND FISH IN A 16 FOOT BOAT MAKE SHURE YOU LIFE INSURANCE IS PAID UP, WE HAVE BEEN OUT IN A 22 FOOT DUCKWORTH, AND IT CAN GET ALITTLE TRICKY OUT THERE.
IF I COULD GIVE YOU ANY LIGHT ON THIS---DONT BE FOOLED ON CURRENT, THE MOUTH OF THE CLOUMBIA CAN BE A HAND FULL, LIKE I TOLD GRANDPAW I LIVE TO FISH, AND SO DOES THE NEXT GUY & GAL, AND AS I TOLD HIM--- IAM CHICKEN OF THE SEA, AND I HAVE BEEN ACROSS IT 3 TIMES. TIGHT LINES Mr.A

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

I'm not saying to skip comon scense. If you come out of Hammond and you see swells over the jetty, for goodness sakes, don't go out. But if you have some swells that you feel comfortable with than all means go for it. Just be careful and watch the water. You will know when it's time to get closer to shore.

The first year I had my boat. I had no boating extperience and we got to the flag pole there out of Ft. Stevens, and we turned around. We knew we were "over our heads". You will get this Oh-oh feeling. listen to it. If you get back a live than you can fish another day. If you don't listen, you may not fish again.

Just be alert, and don't let fishing distract you. You drive, and let the folks with you fish.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Wow, 12 times out there and never seen it rough...

Just about every time I'm there I wish I had a bigger boat and I got a 20 footer.

But like everyone says knowledge and common sense is the key to any boating.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

Well put by Miss B. If you do go make sure to bring flares as they are required there.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Miss B is so right, conditions are more important than which marker you're at. The whole lower river can get mighty snotty. If you go out be sure to name your boat. It's kind of clunky sounding when the Coast Guard addresses folks on the radio as "aluminum boat going down".

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Just be alert, and don't let fishing distract you. You drive, and let the folks with you fish.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Great advice.

Go for it. But also take a VHF and learn the weather lingo if you dont already. Keep an ear to the VHF weather reports. Bring 300 feet or more anchor line and a good rocking chair anchor. Theres some old timers that fish out of Smokercraft Alaskans, but they also are keen on the weather conditions. Ive been out in a Lodge on the tail end of the ebb and that will test your boats power. So dont overload either. 60hp sounds plenty and the Ospreys are wide and have good freeboard. Ive gone out on a southerly 30mph gusts(not bad chop, but hard boat control) in the Lodge out of Hammond and turn right around and went in, my passengers complained but its my boat and i make the decisions as to when i get uncomfortable.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts

Sixteen foot at Bouy 10?

I can answer this question!

NO!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

You dont have to go all the way out. You can stay in close like Baker bay or Hammond and still catch fish and if it starts getting choppy youll have a short hop in. The Ospreys are very wide and deep and windshielded. A big 16.

[ 07-15-2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

thanks for all the replys.

Sorry Jennie,thought I could slip that buy :grin:
my first edit :smile:

·
Registered
228 Posts

Yep, that guy.

The ones I always here on the radio... Out of gas, dead battery, only one engine and it won't start etc, etc. But the worst is taking on water :shocked:

I just shake my head in disbelief. Not that I'm perfect, but I try to prepare and know what I am getting into.

[ 07-15-2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
38 Posts

Well maybe I'm looking for a helicopter ride or worse but I've been out to the CR BUOY and back :shocked: several times. You will see me out there this year and back at the dock too. I do pick my days and keep a watchful eye for anything that spells bad luck. I have a 17 ft. smoker craft PHANTOM and a 75 hp merc. I do wish I had more everyday. So i would say be careful and good fishing. :smile:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

BigFish i hear you. I know a guy that uses his boat for B10 only and uses the same gas and rarely flushes his sterndrive and does not use a kicker (or have one) and he crosses the bar.Maintenance is a foreign word to him. Also no VHS just a cb. He always invites me but i usually have "other plans" like not being rescued by the Coasties or living.Hes gonna be "that guy someday"

1 - 20 of 43 Posts