IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay gang...
We've seen this before:
What should I get for my 15.5ft aluminum DB?

1. 8HP 2 stroke (77lbs)
OR
2. 6HP 4 stroke (53lbs)

I'll mostly be trolling, along the columbia banks (Sandy, Herman) and shad fishing (mouth of Clack etc).

What do YOU recomend?
Thx in advance
Andy

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dear Friend:

I have a 16 foot Willie, I would prefer the motor with less weight rather than the additional horse power. If your boat has a big flat spot on the bottom the higher horse power might increase the speed, but on my Willie the more power I put to the boat just makes it dive deeper without much more speed. Typically a 4 stroke weights more than a two stroke. I would make sure the 4 stroke is a good solid brand like Honda, Mercury, Yamaha or Suzuki.

Best Fishes

·
Registered
507 Posts
If your in any wind you'll wish you had the 8(high sides and a flat bottom love the wind) otherwise the 6 is plenty I feel. Go with a Yamaha or the Honda in a four stroke, no worries either way.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Go with the 8HP 4-stroke Honda or Yamaha. Only about 80 lbs for either.

If you go with a 2 stroke go with a 15HP Mercury.

Which 6HP 4-Stroke are you looking at?

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you decide to go 4 stroke make sure you DO NOT get a single cylinder they vibrate and shake badly. I had a 5 hp honda and I was warned by the dealer but I wanted to save on weight big mistake. The added weight on a 16ft. drift boat is not that big a deal. My friend puts a 10hp. honda on his and it works fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a like new 2002 Yamaha 4 stroke 8hp T-8 x-long shaft that may be up for sale if you are interested? Make me an ofer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have a 16'(14'8'')drift boat.when i first bought it i bought a 5 hp suzuki 2 stroke to go with it.the 5 hp did really well.a little to light though,every time i steped over the rowers bench the motor would lift high enough out of the water that it would stop pumping water.(at a idle)
i now have a 4 stroke honda 8 hp,i like it alot.
it doesnt really go any faster than my 5 hp.i do notice a little bit more power in heavy current though.i can also walk almost to the front of the boat before the water intake comes out of the water.
any way my advice would be go with the 4 stoke.you wont notice the difference in the little bit of extra weight.
i hope this helps.dont forget a dolefin it helps keep the nose down.
david

1 - 7 of 7 Posts