IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on the first weekend of June a really good deal on a 15' duraboat came up, it has a center console with a 28hp johnson. I'm not sure on hours, it does run, I have not even taken it out yet. I'm torn between either redoing the center console as it does not leave much room between it and the back bench seat or just take it out and repowering to a 4 stroke with a tiller. The coast guard plate says max HP of 30hp. I've seen some with 40hp on them. I've already accepted the fact I won't be taking it out or even licensing it this year. As far as weight goes, I looked at yamaha 30 & 40hp motors, they are the same weight. Haven't looked at mercury or suzuki yet.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
One of my boats I sold this year had a nearly new 25 hp Zuki tiller with power tilt/trim and elec start. That was a very sweet power plant. Although both motors on my boat are Yami's I would go with a Zuki.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The yammie 30/40 are 750cc blocks, zuke 25/30 are 500cc tohatsu/Merc are 500cc. They all weigh over 160lbs. All are three cylinder.
Yammie 25 is 428cc weight is 125lbs for base model, 132lbs for long shaft electric start. 2 cylinder.

Displacement of motor makes a difference, it will have mid range, so my pref is 30hp Merc/tohatsu then the zukes. If choosing yammie you are using a 40hp block and weight for 30hp.

New Yammie 25hp is the compromise between weight and power but it's a 2 banger and redesign of new model it shakes a bit. I did not care for it.
My vote is 30hp tohatsu or zuke, mid range is better than 25 yammie but does not weigh as much as yammie 30

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have only seen one duraboat myself, really liked the taller sides vs typical Midwest hulls. Don't know much about em, had a chance to pick one up few years ago to tool with. Good luck with it.

Tohatsu makes a good motor, without the Merc badge they have a 5 year warranty vs 3 on Merc. U can get parts anywhere in world.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
A little Duro info...they were originally built in Australia and raced in the surf (look at tinny racing). A Puget Sound company bought them which is where mine came from. They are now built in the south. No welds or rivets, they have huge gussets with epoxy and backed with three inch washers. If there was ever a bombproof boat, this is it! Actually got mine up to plane with a 20hp twosmoke and four adults with a cooler.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
There was a yellow Duroboat famous at the mouth of the Cowlitz for decades that caught a lot of fish… a LOT of fish.

Paint yours school bus yellow, it works.

CW

·
Registered
310 Posts
My buddy has a green one with a 25 hp merc tiller. Since there isn't an abundance of space in those boats I would recommend converting the console to tiller and powering it with a 25.
My friend's boat is pretty fishy. Hope yours will be too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts