IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...been lurking for a while, and learning little by little from you all...thanks for the enjoyment and education.

Now for the story...My 13 year old has been reading all he can about sharks since first grade...and has become the household expert on the topic. He has said for years "I hope I can catch a shark someday". Well I bought a friends Wellcraft 18 foot Sport this year when he moved to Montana, and we finally got about six miles out this July, with a skilled fishing friend for our first ocean fishing trip. Perfect weather, mild waters with essentially no swell or wind, on a warm day...put out the cut herring with a diver and a flasher and nothing for maybe thirty minutes, when a very subtle down jerking of the pole appears, subtle but very persistant...so he takes it in hand with a tug, and not an inch is given to him...he is sure he has a monster chinook, but who knows, eh? No fast line taking out, and little given back to us either, just a slow but very solid constant pulling on pole, and after five minutes or so this huge shadow of a fish slowing starts swimming up to us and shows itself to be a huge (to us as least) blue shark. My boy went wild, screaming and jumping in the boat that he can't believe what he just saw...and the shark went wild at that time also. The fish must have seen his life pass before his eye, and raced 3/4ths the way around the boat before hightailing it back to the depths. Another ten minutes of tugging on the fish that now felt twice as big finally brought him up to the boat. It was a six foot blue shark, somewhat tuckered out, but by no means fully subdued. We had no reason the keep him, so cut him loose at the mouth and enjoyed the experience of doing so...and seeing him take off in an apparrently unexcited fashion.

The rest of the day was spent bringing in some great coho....all of them clipped, to leave with three limits in the boat. Being too early to leave on such a great sunny day we ate a leisurely lunch while drifting. Upon finishing our tuna sandwiches and apples, washed down with some OJ, we brought in our poles to start the trip back when a blue shark, appearing to be the same one to us...(but who really knows), slowly oscillated toward our boat with his tail fin breaking the surface from maybe 50 feet away, came to within five feet of us, rolled over to his side bringing his left eye well out of the water and just eyeballed us for maybe ten seconds before slowing diving back downward to disappear.

This was a very mystical experience for all three of us...a thousand years ago this kind of thing could have been the beginning of an Indian lengend, except I suspect the shark would have spoken some good message to pass on through the ages. This story became the first writing assingment handed in by him this year in school...and he wrote in not thinking that anyone would believe it...and not really caring if anyone would.

Mike (My first salmon fishing trip was from a pygmy wood kayak)

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
Cool story. Lets hope it isn't another 10 months before you post again. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Welcome to ifish and thanks for that great story. There will be many more encounters for your son to enjoy in the ocean and the rivers, keep him fishing you will never regret it. Once again good story and good luck.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts