IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you did not already know :frown::shocked::frown::shocked::frown::shocked: .....

Lower Columbia gillnetting begins at 7 p.m. today

The first of three 12-hour gillnet seasons in the lower Columbia River begins at 7 p.m. today.

The commercial fleet will fish from Beacon Rock downstream to the mouth of the Columbia until 7 a.m. Friday, then again from 7 p.m. Monday to 7 a.m. Tuesday and 7 p.m. Aug. 9 until 7 a.m. Aug. 10. Nets must be between 9-inch and 9¾-inch mesh.

The season is to target on fall chinook entering the river.

The Columbia River Compact will meet at 10 a.m. Aug. 15 in the Clark County commissioners’ hearing room on the sixth floor of the Public Service Center, 1300 Franklin St.

Washington and Oregon officials will consider liberalizing sport sturgeon fishing rules between Wauna power lines and Bonneville Dam.

Additional gillnetting for salmon and sturgeon in the lower Columbia also will be considered.

· Registered
4,230 Posts
Why are they out for Fall Chinook when there aren't many in the river yet?:passout::passout: I'm sure other things will get stuck in there nets which they aren't targeting:passout:, my two cents says a full ban on nets in the CR! :pray:

3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As part of the North of Falcon Process, these were a few of the dates that were negotiated.

They will be in throughout the month as the memo eludes to with the next meetings in which they will analyze impacts.....

· Registered
1,172 Posts
watched them laying nets today while down at willow grove.
The wind was blowing so hard to the east the boats were just flying upriver and dragging their nets behind.
Don't think the fish buyer will be loading many totes in the morning.

· Registered
2,296 Posts
Why are they out for Fall Chinook when there aren't many in the river yet?:passout::passout: I'm sure other things will get stuck in there nets which they aren't targeting:passout:, my two cents says a full ban on nets in the CR! :pray:

Easy they have a 1800 fish sturgeon quota to fill, and need something to do between the two 36 hour young’s bay fishery they have going the first 10 days of August.

· Registered
14,716 Posts
I doubt we see many hours put in tonite. No money to be made.......in the fall, prices are down, and unless you catch a lot of fish, it is a money losing proposition.

· Premium Member
14,602 Posts
Just got a call from a buddy who really needs a day off from work. We're going anyway. If we do any good, we'll let you know. Take it with a grain of salt though; we didn't put a single URB in the boat last year.

· Registered
16,891 Posts
Easy they have a 1800 fish sturgeon quota to fill, and need something to do between the two 36 hour young’s bay fishery they have going the first 10 days of August.
Yup. That's where the money is.

No limit on soak times in this warm water either.

Some pics of dead floater sturgeon would be helpful to show the staff and Commissions.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
I don't get it.Nice job dfw. Throw us a few table scraps of some not too prime time of fishing the Big C, and then stack the deck against us even more by allowing the nets in during our sport season. Why can't they figure it out so we are not competing against the commercial gill nets, and don't overlap the two seasons?

· Registered
210 Posts
We can't keep any Nooks in buoy 10 area until 22 Aug but the gill netters get to go for it. It's the normal clean the river out, let it load up for a few days then clean the river out, repeat as necessary.

· Registered
320 Posts
Just got a call from a buddy who really needs a day off from work. We're going anyway. If we do any good, we'll let you know. Take it with a grain of salt though; we didn't put a single URB in the boat last year.
ampersat you must not have been in the state of oregon in august and september.. it was one of the best fall chinook seasons in the last 20 years... to say you didnt catch a URB in the columbia last year is earth shattering to me.. :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

· Registered
3,257 Posts
You will never get rid of the commercial fishery. People need to concentrate on changing the method to a 100% selective method. Trap 'em, then harvest 'em selectively if you ask me.

Mark
This year as you fish for fall Chinook on the CR pay special attention to the tules you encounter. In the next few years these may be the only CR Chinook we will be able to retain.

The 3 year old adult returners(2004 brood year) destined for Eagle Creek NFH were mass ad-cliped when they were released as smolts. Eagle creek is a massive hatchery which produces on the order of 13 million tule smolts per year. This is the first component of the CR fall Chinook run to succumb to the mass ad-clip phenomenon.

The cherished component of the CR fall Chinook run, the upriver brights, is about 80% wild and if the CR fisheries convert to ad-clip selection this bright stock will be off limits for harvest.

· Registered
776 Posts
Fishbulb
I can see where marking the tules would allow for hatcheries to let unmarked fish pass above the hatchery to spawn. That is probably a needed step toward recovery.
Would marking the tules allow for more harvest because of selective harvesting on those fish.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.