IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

This is my first post!!

I have an option to get either engine on a Hewescraft 18 Sportsman. Which would you choose? I expect to add the same manufacturer's kicker too.

Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks,

TJ

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have the 115 hp Yamaha on my Duckworth I bought in December. So far I love it, in fact I bought the T-8 to match. Always starts first time, quiet as heck and seems to sip the gas. If I were to do it again, I would definately go with the Yamaha again..

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If i ever get my buttocks in gear..i'll own a Hewescraft... 18ft Sportsman, I'm either gonna have a 75 Honda or 90hp...115.. is way too much.. :hoboy:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Let's compare:

Yamaha F115 hp:
HP/LB ratio - 0.29 hp per lb
106.2 cid
Multi Port Injection
401 lbs
25 Amps
MSRP - $9,240

Honda BF115 hp:
HP/LB ratio - 0.23 hp per lb
137 cid
4X1 bbl carbs
496 lbs
40 Amps
MSRP - $10,015

Suzuki DF140 hp:
HP/Lb ratio: 0.34 hp per lb
127.4 cid
Digital Multi Port Injection
410 lbs
40 amps
MSRP - $10,311

What does this tell us? Both the Honda and the Suzuki provide 40 amps to power all that electrical stuff. The Yamaha and Suzuki are fuel injected, the Suzuki with a digital computer to adjust for variations in atmospheric pressure.

The Yamaha and Suzuki are nearly 100lbs lighter than the Honda (100lbs that do nothing, look at the HP/LB ratios). The Yamaha is cheapest but the Suzuki has been offering a $500 rebate and has an additional 25hp at very little additional cost.

My research shows a high level of owner satisfaction with all three brands.

My choice: the Suzuki.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is some great info! One of the reasons I was leaning to the Hoda 115 is because it is EFI. I'm not sure the Yamaha is not carborated. (sp?)
Also, as far as the power goes, I'm not sure that a 115 is too much. I mean, if you add all 34 gallons of fuel and take a buddy or two....that 115 may be about right. Don't forget the kicker weight too. What do you think?

TJ

[ 07-08-2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: HewesFisher ]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
crabbait, that hundred pounds is in the extra cubic inches. The 115/130 are basically the same motor.(anyone know the diff.?) Cost savings i guess. But if i were to go with the Honda i would jump to the 130 If the pocket book allowed. Other wise the Yamaha 115 would be my choice. Although Hondas (4-strokes) have been around alot longer and are used by the USCG says something.

·
Registered
638 Posts
No such thing as too much horsepower. I have never heard anyone say nice boat(or car) just wish it had a little less power. I recommend the most power you can afford within the boat manufactures ratings.
All three mentioned above are good companys. Compare warrantys and dealer support.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
fisherdan - Weight for the Honda 115hp and 130hp is identical (496lbs), same bore/stroke, same displacement. The 115hp seems to be a "detuned" 130hp. The Honda 130hp is still a chubo with nothing to show for it at 0.26 hp per lb. I just can't justify hauling around and extra 100lbs on the back of the boat that does nothing but keep me from planing at a slower speed. (Scource - Sport Fishing magazine, Jan 2003 boat buyers source book.)

The Suzuki makes the extra ponies with increased bore/stroke and a very efficient injection system. They also mount the powerhead differently, shifting more weight over the transom instead of hanging off the back.

I was very leary of the Suzuki at first because you just don't see them here. When I checked, I found that they are very popular in other parts of the country with as high or higher owner satisfaction and dependability as the Honda or Yamaha.

I have never heard anyone bemoaning the fact that they have too much power.

Hewesfisher - I think you are comparing apples to oranges and using old data. The "Optimax" is a two-stroke, so is the Suzuki you listed I believe. The Suzuki DF-140 is a new-this-year four-stroke.

[ 07-08-2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hewesfisher,
I just bought the 18' sportsman, I have the 80
yamaha and really like it. The yamaha is rated at the prop. It will pull my two teenagers on a tube or me and my one of my kid no problem. I can cruise at 33 mph / knt with four in the boat. The sportsman only has a 24 gal tank keep that in mind. The Yamaha is very good on gas. The boat is only rated for a 110 prop or 115 pump. good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it just me, or who in the world can afford 10 grand for a boat motor. Not me. Do you guys pay cash or make payments for 40 years. Be honest.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Look hard at service after you make your choice. Who in our area has been a suzuki dealer for any time longer than five year? I don't know, but it is a question you will need to know. The yamaha is good engine in the 115. FYI mercury and yamaha are the same in the four strokes in the sizes you are looking at. You may want to check out the 75, 90 and 115's in the merc and save some money. I would be leary of the suzuki having dealt a few of the 140's they just don't have the power rating as the other engines. Do some research and you will find that Suzuki is know for overstating horsepower. My choices if I buying would be 1. Yamaha/Mercury 2. Honda .

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I guess you can throw up all the numbers and stats you want :shrug: But all that extra HP and $$ is gonna get you to your favorite spot about 2 minutes earlier and waste alot of gas. You're not going on a cross country road trip..you're going fishing :tongue: Think about all the boat ramps around Portland/Vancouver and how far you have to run to get to a fishing spot :rolleyes: Bigger is not better.. IMO

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 07-08-2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Onstep who do you work for? zip

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
onstep - Sportcraft is a Suzuki dealer and they have been there for quite awhile. They also carry Honda and had nothing but good things to say about the Suzuki DF140.

I also wonder about the amount of experience you have had with the DF140. It was released this spring and is a first offering in four stroke with the digital multi-point fuel injection. Sport Fishing magazine called it "incredibly popular".

While the Yamaha and Mercury powerheads are the same, the gear ratio and overall weight are different (and the Merc is about $1000 cheaper).

[ 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I own the white version of the 140 Suzuki and love it. Could not be happier. Hope I still feel that way in 5 years - but I think it's pretty much a crap shoot with any motor. From what I can tell they can all have their problems. I did my homework first before deciding and I would advise anyone to do the same - what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. I do not claim to speak for anyone but myself and my personal opinions on this board... and IMHO you could not go wrong with Suzuki 4 strokes (or Johnsuki, suzukison or whatever they're called for that matter). zip

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The Honda 130hp is still a chubo with nothing to show for it at 0.26 hp per lb.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I completly disagree that point crabbait because with four strokes the torque is as or more important as hp. And with the added cubes you will see more torque with less rpm than the other motors. I would love to see a test shootout with these motors.Its all personal preference anyways.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Go with the Yamaha and do like Hawgs and Harleys said and get a big one. There really is no such thing as too much hp. There are situations when the extra hp can be a life saver. No point in driving around a 15mph brown trout when the jump in hp is generally not too much. Besides, if the bigger motor doesn't have to work as hard, it will run more efficiently.

Crabbait is correct about the Suzuki. They are not that common aroundhere, but we had a friend who worked in a large motor repair shop in Hawaii and most everyone used Suzuki over there he said. They had the least troubles with them.

If you want to spend you day at the dock trying to figure out why your motor won't start and the Yamaha's go zipping off to the hotspot, buy Mercury. A friend of ours has some brand new Optimaxes and they don't run right and foul plugs. If someone wants to throw the argument of why do all the guides use them is because they are cheap. No other reason.

[ 07-08-2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

1 - 20 of 49 Posts