IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was another stellar few days at the coast. I had the opportunity to pull up some tasty crabs from the deep with my wife and kids, fish a whole day with my lovely bride while my mom watched the kids and I hit the ocean for the first time ever in my sled with my Carrot Buddies. The only thing I missed out on was the Ifish party which is the whole reason I planned this trip but my buddies(?) called and told me it was a bust and not to show up… I figured out they were jerking my chain when I got home… thanks guys!

Anyway here is the report…

My family and I got down to Nehalem Bay Thursday afternoon to do some crabbing. We ended up going through quite a few huge females to find 9 big males for dinner at my moms home that night. I had to buy her off somehow to watch my kids the next day! Here is a shot of my mom with our soon to be dinner... I think she is giving us a crab Clown Frown!

Don’t you just love a pot full of yummy crab? My mom makes killer crabcakes with the leftovers mmmmmmm!

Friday we changed our plans on a whim to fish Astoria at the bridge for Chinook because the Oregonian said it was good. Right off the bat on our first pass I get a good pound down and Fish On! Wait its not fighting. Well it turned out to be this monster starry flounder that went 321 lbs on the Clown Frown Scale… I never thought I would catch a starry flounder at 17 pulls trolling a plug cut!

We had 4 chances at Chinook and they all came off. We only saw a few others caught and they all looked like Tules. Its still a bit early I think. XTC and I tried to talk my wife to going out on the ocean but no dice. We ended up leaving early and my wife and I headed down to Nehalem to try to cash in on a late afternoon bite. As you can see it was another nasty day on the Oregon coast!

And the bar was just as bad! The good thing is my wife went as close to the ocean as she has been before… baby steps!

Today the whole Carrot Crew made it down to Nehalem to fish. We had a little wager with Atworkalot (should have stayed at work), Reel Dick, Hogmaster and some other unsavory types on the biggest fish on our fist pass in wheeler Bobby picked up a nice 18lber. Things were pretty slow after that so we headed to the jaws to find our boatload of unsavory droughters rotting with about 25 other boats. We made one halfhearted pass then headed for the ocean.

This was the first time I ever had my sled out in the big pond and it was awesome. Chris picked up a nice 32lb nook right away on Da “Extreme Disliker” Stick. Nice way to break in that 11.6ft rod Chris. We fished the ocean for a couple of hours picking up quite a few wild Coho, 2 Chinook and 2 clipped Coho. Here is our chromer lineup going 32lbs, 18lbs, 16lbs, 15lbs and 12lbs! Not bad for 5 hours fishing!

How did you guys do Shouldhavestayedatworkalot? Do you guys owe us some bling bling?

One last note… when I first saw Da “Extreme Disliker” Stick I was not too sure about it but after seeing it in action I think I want one. It has a ton of play on the tip for trolling for a high hookup ratio but the butt section is plenty stout enough to fish a diver no problem. You can spread your baits out real nice too and cover way more water. Cool pole Chris! I hope you jerkweeds had a nice time at the party!

[ 08-11-2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
395 Posts
Job well done guys,
your making me very invious!
Seeing that driftboat behind you Shane gets my wheels turning about taking my drifter out there.

Nice to hear that Chris broke in his "stick". Great pics hopefully I'll be able to make my first trip out soon and get a nice fat chinook.

Congrats again guys :cheers:

Later Geoff

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What the heck was that ugly kite fish? It makes a walleye look beautiful. Nice salmon! I want one of those outriggers too! I could fish on the other side of Get Bent and sneak a fish out of his honey hole! :cheers:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey FNF do you want to set something up to go out at B-10 with me and XTC? Or maybe URB in St. Helens. Lets set something up :grin: :cheers:

·
Registered
993 Posts
hay fnf insted of sneekin one from the other side of me get in a real boat i will even net them for you let me know any sun or mon dont forget tillamook is comeing up and lets smow these boy what real fish look like nice fish veggies xtc i see the rod hanging out of the sunroof did fit under the car port of your trailer :grin:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
5 cents,
I will be down to Buoy 10 in a week and a half. I also get a private Tuna trip with some commercial buddies. I would like to do the St.Helens thing though.

Get Bent,
I would love to crew for ya at Tillamook. I have never been there. With your spinners it would be a sure bet! Just let me know when you have an opening! Think we could talk ****** in to it also? :cheers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
5-Cent,
Huh? I was in Arkansas marrying my cousin last weekend, I was nowhere near the Nehalem. Is that a lake or a river? Do they have any bass in the Nehalem? You have me confused with someone else.

You (well... XTC) won round one. This isn't over yet!!!

When is the "Lover Stick" getting unveiled?

Had a great time Saturday, nice to meet everyone, great day of fishing.

:cheers:

·
Registered
993 Posts
fnf i am sure we can get mr nook in the boat email me a # i can get ahold of you at nothing like 5 feet of water and chrome freight trains :dance:

·
Registered
327 Posts
NICE CLOWNFROWN SHANE .LIKE THE SONG SAYS, JUST JUMP IN THE CAR FOR A LITTLE HEART ACHE AT THE TAJ MAHAL. WISH I COULD BE WITH YOU GUYS. SINCERELY DROUGHTING IN COLORADO STEVE

[ 08-11-2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
hey nickle,
We had two pound downs and two landed jumbo starry flounder sunday too. 13 pulls with plug cut.
huh! Real head-scratcher! Nice fish you guys got there, thanks once again for sharing the adventures.
GBS

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Pounddown Steve how is Colorado :cheers:

We miss you here and your many talents your provided to our team :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Man do I miss Steve!!!!!! Good to see a post from you, even if it did get edited. You always have a place to drought in my boat........ :wink:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks Zaq for building me a rod that on it's first fish produced a chrome 32# :dance: . Maybe you need to build a new rod for yourself to get your drought over with.
The action on that rod is awesome, for all the people who were so worry about the length, thanks for your concern but if you have never fished a rod of this length you should try it. What a blast to watch that rod fold over with a huge pound down.
Steve hurry back as we have some work to do next time we are on the water. By the time you get back you can take a ride in my new sled.
Hogmaster, Skrimmy, Reeldick and AtWorkALot let's do it again it was a great pleasure seeing the sweat roll of your forehead as you passed us with our first fish.............Chris

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Atworkalot
Reel Dick
Hogmaster
Scrimmy

Thanks for the Challenge, it's just what the doctor ordered, it was good to meet you guys, next time we'll put a time limit on the day and get some more participants.

How about that Bobber Challenge and no guides :wink: :hoboy: :grin:

Bobby

1 - 20 of 26 Posts