IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure what forces are hidden in the waters of the Nestucca, but Ive witnessed some weird stuff lately. Nothing spectacular until today.

Last week I see a guy catch a 15# + spring Chinook with his bare hands.
I and two others each hook fish in a place any fish would choose as the LAST place they want to be hooked
(yes, all three a bulls eye indeed) Dont let the word "eye" fool you.
Also last week, I cast a rig into the hole, snag up and lose it...re-rig, cast again and reel in my previous rig AND about 4 others complete with slinkies, terminal tackle and corkies of all shapes and sizes.
Two weeks ago I hook a nice chrome steel and on its first jump it lands itself on the bank! (too bad it was the opositie bank and broke me off flopping around...he finally made it back to the water)

Those things are a little odd and unusual, but compared to what happened today they are insignificant.

I cast a rig into the same hole Ive been fishing almost daily for a month, 24 inch leader, puffball, and a small glob of eggs...bam! fish on.
It jumps once and takes me to the bottom of the hole. The fight was good but suddenly it seemed like the fish went from 8 or 9 pounds to 20!!

So I struggle with this freight train for a while and finally see my pencil lead and get a glimpse of the swivel, it has a rats nest of line on it (?)...another run..then totally slack.."I lost him" no wait, hes still on...strips some line, and comes towards me...bang...dead line..." I lost him that time" holy cow hes still on! then I see something very odd...a steelhead jumps and a nook jumps at almost the same time only a few feet from each other...BOTH with a hook and line stuck in 'em? I look and no-one else has a line in the water so my Neanderthal brain starts throbbing.

I reeled and reeled and couldnt believe my eyes when I got the "fish" to shore...I hooked a steel who tangled me up in a line that had a nook on the other end!

I figured this was a story that would remain between me and the river, but I had to share it (there were 4 other people there who witnessed the very odd event or I wouldnt have said a word about it)

1 cast 2 fish!

I snapped the steel off who was hooked in the back, and continued fighting the nook which took some help from a guy who has never caught either. Myself and the others pondered the question of whether or not the nook would be a legitimate catch if hooked in the mouth (although not hooked with MY hook)
Although the question was moot for two reasons, cant keep springers in this hole, AND who would want to in thier condition? It was one that had me stumped.

[ 08-22-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ALL Fishermen are liars except you and me and now I don't know about you anymore :laugh:

Great Story!! I hooked a swivel/leader with a silver on it at EC 2 years ago but you beat me big time with this one.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I've spoken to two different OSP, and both told me that it would be illegal to keep a fish that YOU didn't hook in the mouth.

I had this same kind of thing happen (I hooked a leader that was trailing from a fish's mouth and landed him) a few years ago and have since asked if I was legal in keeping the fish. The law states it is "...illegal to keep a fish hooked other than in the mouth." I contend my fish was not hooked other than in the mouth, which he wasn't. Then again my hook didn't touch his mouth.

Nevertheless, that is a great story!! Sounds like you should run off to Reno for a few days. :wink:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
A few years ago,I was fishing out of the Canadian Princess in Canada.We were useing jigs all of a sudden this little Japanese guy hook into a monster(47 lbs) everyone quit fishing to watch.When the captain netted the fish and brought it into the boat (YOU WON"T BELIEVE THIS !!)he had hooked the eye of a swivel that was tied to a leader and hooked to the fish that someone else had lost.
I mean we were in the ocean what are the odds of this ever happening.I swear this is true !!.The only weird thing that has happened to me was catching the same fish twice with in about 5 min. of loseing him when he came of my hook and flopped back into the water.
Bob

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
In Alaska the person who sets the hook must card the fish, but in Oregon I always understood it's the person who lands the fish. That's why guides here can fish and hand off their rod to a client when they hook a fish. I don't see how this would be technically any different if it had been a legal fish, hooked in the mouth with legal gear. Moot point if the springer was illegal anyway, but what a cool story!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Nice going man! The wonders of the mighty Nestucca never cease.

I've caught a few "already caught" fish, mostly steelies and a big keeper sturgeon a few years ago.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Speaking of the Nestucka I have fished above beaver above the 2nd bridge and have had chinook swim between my legs. One time a few years ago my son and I were trolling at miller lake and he hung up so I stopped the boat and grabbed his line as I pulled us toward the snag and got right above it I gave a mighty yank and up came a stump with 3 trolls and other gear so we harvested the gear but something funny there was more line going into the water so my son pulled on it and would you know it up came a 18" german brown hooked in the mouth and another troll. he was still healthy.My son ask me Dad does it count. What could I say he beat me that day.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
seem to in a slump, must be nice to get a two for one, I cannot seem to catch a fish let alone two in one shot

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I had a similar experience several years back. We were trolling spinners in T bay, my rod goes down but it just didn't feel right. I pull back and sure enough FISH ON! I play the fish to the boat and look down, there's my spinner where's the fish? Turns out the hook on my spinner had caught the the eye of a spreader that someone else had broken off. I guess this fish was destined to live. My buddy botched the net job and the fish got off. I did get a new spreader and spinner out of the deal though. But I won't let my buddy forget about the net job.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a similar story, but sort of switched around. I tied on this big ol lead weight with a hook molded into it. I was just snagging fish like crazy. It was great! Ripping the hook through the water, and tearing their guts out, you know, the usual fun. Then all of a sudden, the wierdest thing happened, I actually caught a fish in the mouth! :shocked: Of course I threw that one back because it just wasen't right to keep one hooked like that. :shrug:

Actually, for those PETA fans, this is only a joke.

Way to go on the double. :dance:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I spent several days plunking the Columbia below Bonneville last year, where railroad spikes are typically the order of the day for sinker choice, 'cause you can afford to lose them -- which happens regularly in the massive rocks which line the river bottom in the area.

So, what happens when your spreader or swivel hangs up and you break off EVERYTHING? That means there's still a spinner or Spin-n-Glo, complete with shrimp scent, tuna ball, prawn tail, secret essence of root vegetable, or whatever, still out there spinning in the current, doing its best to attract a salmon or steelie.

So, what happens if a fish picks one of those up and responds with an initial, panicked run through, oh, 60 similar rigs being actively fished in the same area?

I witnessed twice last year -- once to my rod and once to another -- a bell-ringing takedown, a dramatic, typical battle, and puzzlement as the angler's lure came into view without a fish on it. :whazzup:

A little more reeling, however, revealed a fair-hooked, angry fish, hooked on a rig left at some previous time by some unknown angler and somehow tangled with the new angler's rig.

In both cases, the fish was accessorized with the incorrect fin combination and was released. :depressed:

For the record, though, had the fish been of legal configuration, I would have kept it. It was, after all, fairly hooked in the mouth and it definitely took the lure of its own free will. Call it the "remote, anonymous, time-travel hand-off."

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I hooked another rig's cannon ball style weight on the Wind once. The other end had a fair hooked springer that was bleeding from hook deep in the gills. I kept it. Seemed like a legal hook of a doomed fish to me? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I've got ya beat! One cast, 6 fish! I was at St. Louis Ponds fishing for planter trout, and I hooked one. All of the sudden, it felt a lot heavier, and the fight felt really strange, like it was something big and squirmy. Sure enought it was. The fish I hooked snagged on someone's stringer of five live trout that had gotten away from them. All six fish were trying to swim in a different direction. I got my limit, and had to throw one back in two casts!

happybrew

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I once caught an old rusted bicycle in a crab pot. Used turkey backs for a while, nothing. Switched to fresh shad, and BAM!!! Bike in the pot on the first drop.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I'm sure the bike made the size limit, but was it a boy's bike or a girl's bike? Gotta throw the females back! :wink:

happybrew

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
A long, long time ago, when I was a kid, I was fishing with my dad and uncle in Prinville Res for bass. My uncle was fighting one on a Hula Popper plug and just as it got to the boat, another bass hit the plug. It knocked the first one off and got himself hooked up in the second treble hook and ended up in the boat.

That first bass had great karma!
:laugh:
SD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dawhunt A friend of mine had the same thing happen on Halibut in alaska, only he hooked the eyelet of the hook that was still in the fishes mouth. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I can confirm Dawhunt's story. I was on that same trip many moons ago. There were Ifishers bumping into each other even before there was an Ifish. I was about to relate "my" story about that fish, then to my amazement I read "my" story being told by someone else!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts