IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big fan of the small "fish flash", especially in the ocean. I do wonder if a 000 Dodger would work just as well trolling cut plug herring for springers? I would like to put something in front of their face on Friday that looks a little different from the norm

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Years ago I used them quite a bit and they do work for Springers. I have had much better luck w/ the large fish flash, than the 000 dodger. :wink:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Tacklebuster,

Most folks have been using flashers with the herring recently.

I don't know what an 000 size is but there seem to be the same size folks use at Astoria in August.

Brion

·
Registered
672 Posts
We fished the Multnomah Channel last Sunday and spotted a lady with a fish on. As we watched the battle unfold, we noticed that she had a very large spin-n-glo 2 feet in front of where the herring (now Springer) had been.

I had picked up a couple of 00 spin-n-glos at Bob's just for fun. One of them with mylar wings. Barry put that on two feet above his herring and not long after got hit by a freight train. Never even slowed him down.

So if your looking for something a little different ...

·
Registered
491 Posts
the fish flash has never worked for me but the 000 has caught my biggest springer 27lb and several more smaller ones.i used to use a downrigger with that but a sinker should work also.hope that helped and good luck.NS

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
I used the large silver fish flash in front of a prawn and boated two nookies two days ago near Sellwood. BONK, BONK! :dance:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fished for several hours last Saturday in the MC with no action. I added a small chrome dodger (not sure of the size, but it's about 4" long) and had two hookups and one takedown. I think I'll be sticking with it for a while.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Have seen the spin-glo technique many times but a # 2 was the size used...It does work with GREAT success. Just place a barrel swlvel above the herring 12 to 24 inches and place the spin-glo above it. Don't forget to add a couple beads under the spin-glo so it can spin. Lime green, or Red head chrome work well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Tacklebuster, have you ever tryed putting a big 4/0siwash directly to the OOO dodger, i know you think i crazy, that's what i thought also when my cousin up in horsefly Canada asked for a bigger hook, asked what for then he told me what he was doing, i told him he was crazy, he looked at me and replied what do you think i caught that 8lb rainbow on last night, shure enough he put a hook directly on the OOO dodger trolled on the surface, would never would of believed it if i didn't see it my self, Doug

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DK- I fished in Alaska for 4 years while in the Army stationed in Anchorage. We used to kill the silvers that way. A lot cheaper and easier than plug cutting herring all day and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
00 and 000 flashes work vey well i have used both and both work well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts